who would have the time 2 help me a bit with a map

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
hmmz i could put this down in the ut2k3 general f0, but since its related 2 editing as well...

I made a small (probably ghey) layout, its the first one for ut2k3 i made, have put all my time in learning max, so didnt have much time in ued 3.0 though im very very familiar with ued 2.0 and ued 3.0 will not be unknown to me for long.

i always have a lot of trouble making maps,
especially since my head is one big whirlwind filled with idea's emotions and other brainpondering stuff,
thats why i need you people to help me, if you dont mind.

i let you people give a look at the layout i made,
and let you give advice about what could be better, be improved and what has 2 be changed till the layout/flow in the map is really sweet and loved.

after that i have 2 fill it up with decoration (static meshes lol) without anoying the layout/flow and make it look good and give you the feeling youre in an realistic looking area.
id like to give you people the choice in what would look good and what not.

same goes for bots etc etc.

untill the map is finished.
what i do realise is, the way it looks now, possible isnt the way it looks when its finished.

here is the map: Http://vladderbeest.com/tempy/DM-testlayout.zip
it doesnt have any meshes,
decent lighting,
decent pathing,
music,
sounds.

first things first, id like you people help me improve and change the flow/layout till its superb becouse i will not be the only one playing the map...

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
i checked the first version in UED, it looks like the bootom pic there shows one of the places where you put a water zone... yet you have no texture there for it. :)

other than that... all i can say its better than i can do :(

Jacob Korn

Crimson Strife Mapper
Apr 16, 2001
New Zealand
Visit site
i rekon its a goodlay out. i rekon you should add a walk way like shown below to add some extra z axis combat. adn also have more of a point for that path.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 46

Lewis

May 1, 2003
without even downloading the map, and looking at those screenshots, theres a bit of work that i could suggest. some are maybe personal opinions but others i think should be made.
1) that same mesh on the walls (the pillar one) looks a bit repetitve and i think there needs to be a different one or something else in place of some of them because it just looks really wierd and cluttered
2) the texturing on those screenshots needs a bit more work. for example, the angled wall part at the bottom doesn't quite work that well as i think it doesn't really match the style of the other textures around it. also, that metal texture is maybe a bit too overused, on some of the smaller/thinner parts, maybe a trim texture could be used or a different metal one
3) trim needs to be added to several areas of the map to break up parts. areas which i think need it most is the small wall part and the floor and also that small wall part and the bottom of the main wall. dunno about other parts yet as i haven't seen the map as a whole.
4) its most probably just me but those rivets on the supports need to be textured a bit differently and i think that there is too many of them on each. some objects look like lego blocks for me and makes it look ugly in a way.

i'll download the map soon and comment when i next come online so this is just an initial report. more details to come soon :)

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
first of all, have u ever seen a building that used different support over and over?

most buildings keep using the same, thats especially something they did in the old days, why make 10 different supports if one works?
but i get the point.
I havent been realy working on all the textures in the map yet, none of em might make it 2 the final, its just that its an texture so i can take a look at the walls without getting anoyed about the basic ugly texture.
so i wont really align em till i find 'the' texture for everything.
Havent been working on any trim yet, im actually only fiddeling around with the meshes.

WTF are rivets lol :p
im guessing u mean those bolts or something.
Im allready working on new ones,
and since i dont intend 2 make maps becouse i want to finish them but work on them for fun, i dont mind if the map takes days, or even years :)

i remember i had one map for ut, wich i worked on for about a year, and now its gone becouse my driv crashed lol.

as for the lego part.. hmm.. i might make david jealous rotf, who knows, maybe ill be making a lego map lol.

ill probably also change the 'support' on wich the mehses stand into something more apealing.

yea yea i know, i could rather do that now than l8er, but i dont mind :)

guess thats it for now :)
2 bad school starts 2morrow..
aargh.. 11 hours of school a day and 1 hour traveling.. omfg.. cant w8... (sarcastic)

Lewis

May 1, 2003
oh i looked at the map... i think the flow could work but you've got some serious issues in that main area with the size of it. it just looks too cramped to move around - especially with that small over head walkway.
and the ramps on that look to steep - think of how they are in real life, and then use that in the map... i'd say a max of 45 degrees but thats prolly just me :)

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
lol, on one hand youre right, on the other hand, then id be using the same pillars, support and light everywhere without any difference like in real life ;)

you'll have 2 w8 quite some while for an update from now on, but i'll see what i can do.
/me takes notes again :)

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
atm redoing a lot of stuff (also the layout)

will take ages for me 2 finish the map becouse of personal stuff/school
but ill finish it no mather what :)

so it will take a long long time be4 i update again..