diagram

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Being a mathematician, I think in pictures :D.
I would have had to scribble out a diagram of what goes on at some point anyway to understand the relationships between the different elements -- as it is I've made it in Freehand so it's nice & neat & everyone can appreciate it :)

I may have got it completely wrong -- if Mychaeel corrects my inept mistakes I'll be happy to make corrections :)

Mychaeel

Wow. Great visualization. :) Gotta link to that from the "How to create a Screen" tutorial.

I wonder whether the poly in the upper-left part shouldn't rather be placed below the scripted texture since the texture is applied to it, but otherwise everything perfectly reflects the actual circumstances.

The scripted texture in the lower-left part actually isn't bound to be 256x256 pixels, the bundled Screen1...Screen8 textures just happen to be that size. 256x256 pixels is the maximum permitted by the engine, but you could choose any valid texture size below that if you're creating your own custom scripted textures.

Beyond what you already visualized in that image, the Screen component also supports the notion of tiled screens: Multiple scripted textures can be tiled to form a single screen with a higher resolution. See the Creating and using tiled high-resolution screens tutorial for details.

In addition, multiple slides can be layered in order to form a more complex slide---like putting a caption on a text slide (ScreenSlidePage) on top of a map slide (ScreenSlideMap). I did exactly that in the Screen demo. It's also a way to emulate HTML frames. Just set the slide's SlideOverlay property to the name of the slide that is to superpose this slide. Slide alignment options are interpreted as being relative to the base slide then. (That's where the "...Adjacent" alignment options come in, by the way.)

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
glad u like :)
mediocre tangerine: lol :D I expect some people will find the written explanation on Mychaeel's site easier.

I see a world poly as being a window onto the texture in any case...

I did think about representing tiles too, but I thought I'd better get the basics right first :)

I'd be happy do to a better version for your site.