Life After Infiltration

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kitty.cat

It'll work, just not the right way.
Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
INF should look into Action Quake. The original realism mod. You get wounded, bleed, have to bandage. And it's team-based! (Or can be, anyway.) It's so much like INF! Oh wait... no it's not... at all. But it's fun going on throwing knife sprees.

Kitty.cat

It'll work, just not the right way.
Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
I believe so. Though.... I've HEARD there was an Action Quake 1, but it wasn't worth giving that title to :p. You can actually see a lot of things Counter-Strike (often percieved to be the first realism mod) ripped off of AQ2. Including dual pistols. But yeah, AQ2 was a very unique idea at the time. P^R would like it because your "skill" was determined by how much you could bug the game to your favour.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Well I have given BF 2 a go. Really don't see what the big deal is. I guess Infiltration has given me too high expectations. If a mod team can produce something that can suck you in and bring so many possibilities then why can't a developer with a multi-million dollar budget.

Curse Sentry Studios making something so good that everything else is crap.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
It's all about the money you wanne make...

While searching the web I found various post going: "Playing without a crosshair is so silly/annoying/ugly/inapropriate ..." and that is unfortunately what most gamers think of other features we begged for...

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
(SDS)benmcl said:
Curse Sentry Studios making something so good that everything else is crap.
Thats something I can tell for sure. Especially about forum discussions, not that I participate in any, but reading realism discussions on other forums (Insurgency for example) feels so primitive in comparison to the discussions in the INF forums.

It's not that official developers can't make realistic games, it's that the marketing dictates them.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Wolfenstein my A$$ - Airbornranger on C64 was a realism shooter already... well kind of ;)

On a serious note:

I understand while retail products strive for mass compatibility - but what about those myriads of modteams doing another one in a million conversion to an arbitrary game...

How many CS clones with no innovation at all are out there?
Why modding BF2 into WW2 and modding stuff like CoD into modern warfare without adding anything original?

I thought it was just a trend but still the majority still produces pointless conversions that look "real" and play like UT...

Last edited:

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Rescue: The Embassy Mission for the NES must have been the first tactical shooter.

Erm, anyway I'm pretty much like Harrm: When I'm done excercising for the day (actively training quite a bit of different sports) I have a few drinks at one of the many places every night. Shame I have to wake up at 0600 otherwise it would be heaven, now it's just awesome.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Nukeproof said:
I understand while retail products strive for mass compatibility - but what about those myriads of modteams doing another one in a million conversion to an arbitrary game...

How many CS clones with no innovation at all are out there?
Why modding BF2 into WW2 and modding stuff like CoD into modern warfare without adding anything original?

I thought it was just a trend but still the majority still produces pointless conversions that look "real" and play like UT...
Thats exactly my thought. I will never understand this.

It's funny kind of, often some people on other forums ask: 'Why a realism mod again, they are so many?'. And I always use to say: 'They aren't any real realism mods, all dust on surface.'

So no matter how many pseudo realism mods/games exist, it's all not what it is. I still wait on a realistic game.

I so hope Lockdown has at least 70% realism, that would end the torture, but thats a dream I suppose.

EGM<NL>E

Jul 14, 2005
enschede-netherlands
c64 hehe old stuff

hey nuke i also started my pc life with that old commodore c64
with the basic language and a tape deck to write programs on
it was a affordable home pc with easy programming abilities
for the general public:)

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Ehh, I started with some russian 80's PC in a police station, playing some few-colored racing and sci-fi games and to that date an engine-wise high quality flight simulation.
That was... cool.

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
i was playing shooters with objectives and no respawns with real aim and real movement and real sights and 10000000000000 polies on 10240000000000*128000000000 , at the age of 6 in 1989.
yes i was playing WW2 in the garden with my cousin

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
After INF? Never was a game that could properly match INF's feel and immersion.

No matter how clunky and awkward INF is.

I'm gonna try FEAR though, that game looks good...