Most Awesome Moment in Games?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Numberless

Iron Chef Lithuania
Jan 20, 2008
The Frozen North
For probably the wrong reason, but beating Ghostbusters for the NES and getting the following message for your victory:

"Conglaturation !!!

You have completed a great game.
And prooved the justice of our culture.
Now go and rest our heroes !"

Now I feel old.

Figuring out DOS to play Doom, and running into the first pink demon on the original. I mean, graphics and gameplay couldn't get any better than that, right? Until they did. I was young though, and amazed.

Munchables

Flying Nuns!!!
Jan 31, 2008
All good supermarkets near you
Call of Duty 4 - Cobra Down Mission

It was epic enough having to rescue the downed pilot, but when the nuke went off as you're flying away, HOLY CRAP. :eek:

Probably the most epic explosion in any video game, and one of the most epic moments in general. It sent chills throughout my body, and I had experienced gaming bliss. :D

But that wasn't all, in the next mission you got to experience your last few breaths after the nuke. The post-nuke atmosphere was incredible, and seeing that building in the background disintegrate was OMG worthy. Then you start to fumble about and fall to the ground, everything fades to white, and you hear your heart stop. :( What a way to end the first act of the game.

Call of Duty 4 - "All Ghillied Up"

Just one of the coolest missions ever. Amazing atmosphere and gameplay. MacMillan was a GREAT point man. Note how well the ghillie suit actually blends in with the environment.

Call of Duty 4 - Final Mission

Oh man, you and your fellow soldiers are all dying on the ground, and when the main baddy gets distracted, Captain price does that slow motion slide of the gun across the pavement to you. It was so cinematic. You pull the slide back, and pump 3 bullets into each of the enemies skulls, while still in slow motion of course. Then help arrives, and you see them pounding on Captain Price's chest, but it's hopeless. He is dead. :(

Metal Gear Solid series - Pretty much everything can count as an awesome moment. Very emotional games, especially MGS3. The ending to that just blew me away. I will be buying a PS3 solely for MGS4, and from the videos I've seen so far, it will be the best $400 I've ever spent. I'm fairly certain it just might be the best game ever created. :)

HL2 - Episode 2 ending

I won't go into detail but you guys know what i'm talking about. My eyes actually watered a bit here, and I never even knew that I was capable of emotion. ;)

There are too many, and I can't pick just one. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but the above are what come to my mind at the moment.

The ending to call of duty 4 was the best ending in a game ever i think :)

Last edited:

Peccavi

Jan 20, 2008
Andrew Ryan's death. I was so amazed at that I actually screamed because I thought it was over, but I thought it was the best ending ever... so happy it continued.

Best personal moment would be in ut2004... a charged grenade in the assualt-rifle-dealy bounced once and seperated an arm from the player (on deck17). Its my favourite because I had one of those moments of clarity, I could count on the bounce and angle of the grenade, the position and speed of the player coming over the steps, and the fact that I did on a 56k modem... good times... sticks in my mind.

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
MGS2 ending- I stood up and applauded when the ending credits played, such a magnificent game
MGS3 ending- I didnt applaude this time but I did feel a little misty eyed when Snake stood in front of that gravestone and saluted, Good god that was a good moment.
Final Fantasy 8 finale - say what you will but it took me nearly a month to beat Griever and Ultimacia my first time through. It felt so damn good to finally see the ending movie and to hear that trademark tune that has been left out of the newer games.

QFT:tup:

I thought most hated MGS2's story. I loved it.

The ONLY reason I wanna mess with a PS3 game. GUNZ OF DA PATRIOTZZZ!

Liquid Snake-Ocelot madness!!!

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Yeah, I'd also have to say the "s***, what the hell is that?" part at the beginning of Unreal, when you see the first Skaarj.

Also, it's not really a gameplay moment, but the Max Payne intro soliloquy has always stuck with me.

*EDIT: Oh man, how could I forget? That guy almost made me crap myself!

Attachments

• wolf3d.png
    wolf3d.png
    221.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Andrew Ryan's death. I was so amazed at that I actually screamed because I thought it was over, but I thought it was the best ending ever... so happy it continued.

Just finished Bioshock for the first time and I can only agree. There are so many great things about that scene. Really a high point in game storytelling history.

Possible spoilers (and you definitely don't want to spoil this for yourself if you haven't played it yet:

Ryan's megalomaniac character is brilliantly realized. I love how he repeats his phrase even as ur killing him. He has to prove to himself that he's in control, not Atlas, even if it means killing himself.

Last edited:

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
Unreal - The scene IronMonkey described, no weapon and the door opens.
Unreal II - I got goosebumps during the Skaarj/elevator scene, too bad the rest of the game didn't live up to that.
MGS1 - For me personally, this is the most epic game I've ever played. Awesome from start to finish, but I think the Psycho Mantis battle in particular stood out.
Shadow of the Colossus - The first time I mounted a Colossus' head, hanging on for dear life and then the music kicks in...that was epic.
Tomb Raider - The T-Rex battle. I don't even like the series that much, and the first game was the only one I actually finished, but I have a thing for battles against giant enemies and I think this was the first such battle for me. I remember it scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it.
The Darkness -
The scene where Jenny gets shot, I think it was a powerful scene.

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
The Darkness -
The scene where Jenny gets shot, I think it was a powerful scene.

I agree. Also,

that time when you first go to "Hell" and you get to the small village.
In the church there's a soldier that is talking in a very sad, poetic manner...
The things he says, combined with the music that was playing, creates such a strong atmosphere. It made me feel sad, too.