DM-Haunted Valley - UT2k3 (Screenshots)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
It looks really better :)

Attempt to use less 'ponctual' clouds: they look weird, these things are supposed to be more diffuse usually but atm they're just put a bit in the middle of nowhere... Take a look to the clouds of the official skyboxes to get some examples

The map is really better-looking without the house but be carefull to not put too much ruins either: you need to find a balance. It seems you use a lot of big ruins, but keep in mind that small pieces here and there or in group are perfectly acceptable too

Some rocks could be welcome and would help to put more variety into the scene. Be careful with the textures misalignments also (the tower in the 3rd screen...) and with the orange lighting everywhere: something more yellowish and brighter when right under the lamps can add a cool effect

Keep up the good work :)

spec_x

DA2 Project Lead/Level Designer
Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
yeah, none of the ruins textures are aligned yet, I'm just workin on the layout. Also, don't worry, the whole map isn't going to be ruins, just the couple open sections, the tower is also going to have a little bit of smaller ruins and not much more, no worries ;)

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Hey guys

I've been pretty busy with stuff lately, so not much to update, but I put together some new screenshots for you guys until I have time to put a new playable build together

ur1.jpg

ur2.jpg

ur3.jpg

ur4.jpg

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
The ruins look a bit dark, and the blood pools aswell IMO: you may want to consider the usage of a texture closer to a white or a clear grey to allow it reflects better the lighting :) The orange lights look very pale and seem to lack of brightness, they stand out because of their color but not because of their intensity: something to consider to give more 'presence' to the overall scene IMO :) Personnally, for such 'cold' atmosphere I prefer using yellow local lights instead of orange ones: yellow is a colder color than orange IMO

Clouds are still far too much ponctual and definitely don't look real: don't take this in the wrong way but they look a bit like some drawings that kids do, where details like this are often too much simplistic to be convincing... :) I recommend you take a closer look to the terrain from BR-Icefield or even Bifrost (a cool skybox in this one btw... ;) ) to put more variety in your scene: retail packages present all sorts of snow-covered rocks which will probably fit well your theme

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
lol, it's funny because those clouds are retail static meshes, that makes me laugh. Also, the lights aren't so pale in game, they just turn out that ways in the screenshots. Also, I'm not sure how bright you think blood is supposed to be ;-) but like I've said before, the screenshots always turn out weird and don't reflect what it really looks like in-game, but I'll see what I can do :)

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
The fact that these clouds are retail meshes doesn't imply anything: look at a cloudy sky in a full moon night and you'll notice it doesn't look like the one in your map :)

As for the blood pools, they look dark purple in the first screen and don't seem to be blood, that's all :)

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Hey guys. Things have been hectic around here lately so that's why I haven't updated anything in a while. Anywho, here's my latest build for you guys to try out. I still have a lot to do, but it's getting there. Like all great things it's just gonna take some time.

Download Me!

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
No problem for the delay: these sorts of things happen sometimes :)

Your map has nicely progressed IMO, particularly the skybox which now blends really well with the environment. The cubemaps work well too. Thought it doesn't seem there's any dead-end any more, overall connectivity may be improved: I think particularly about one bridge or two, and even maybe some lifts aswell... The difference in footsteps and movers sounds can enhance the gameplay in helping players find their opponents more easily

Some snow may be welcome at the top of the ruins: it makes sense that there's some up there too. The connection between the basis of the central tower and the terrain looks weird: it's very flat though some snow should pile up against the walls... ;)

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I'm thinking about sticking a bridge over the large raised section on the left and attaching it to the middle. Hopfully I'll have some time soon to get back into getting things done :)

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
A broken up ruined bridge ;) I'm working on it as we speak, probably get a new build up in a little while. Also found a bsp error I need to fix and get some coronas in those light Static Mesh's ;)

Last edited:

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Alright, new build time! Wooo!!!

Download me you sillies!!!

:lol:

*edit* By the way, I'll have to re-do the env map on the pool by the bridge later, didn't have time now, so if you notice it don't worry about it ;)

Last edited:

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
It flows better, but the huge hole into the bridge tends to kill this passage... Any possibility to make it less 'ruined'

Otherwise, maybe a more complex shape may be welcome because it looks really squarish, almost UT99-like...