Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Don't you guys have smaller indie theaters around where you live?
we have plenty of smaller, cheaper theaters.

but (costs aside) I like to get the most out of my movie-going experience.
that means I'm going to the theater with massive screens, stadium seating, digital surround sound, and a 2-story arcade room complete with bowling alley :D

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
District 9 - 10/10 : Terrific movie, thought provoking as hell, stunning digital effects (you barely thought they were there) and the way it was filmed was great. Personally i thought it have a huge war or something in it which would be the base of the story, twas not and i'm glad it wasn't.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
9: 3/10 - Except for the art, and the machines/ backgrounds their isn't too much that is interesting about this movie, nothing makes you care for the characters and it leaves you feeling terribly disappointed. Besides that, its like the main character has the fallout 3 instant transport, the movie carries way to fast, like 25 mins in it feels like you've already reached what should be the climax, which it isn't.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
District 9 - 8/10

Great stuff. Would have been better if the CG was improved on the aliens. Most shots where there was more than one alien around looked quite fake and obviously CG, especially the way they moved. The closeups of the aliens faces was much better and believable. Disappointed they didnt show much of the mothership interior either...

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
District 9 - 8/10

Great stuff. Would have been better if the CG was improved on the aliens. Most shots where there was more than one alien around looked quite fake and obviously CG, especially the way they moved. The closeups of the aliens faces was much better and believable. Disappointed they didnt show much of the mothership interior either...

CGI was absolutely spectacular for the budget. Walking out of the theater I turned to my friend and said "that movie had to cost a fortune to make." Then I go home and read that it was done on a dirt cheap $30 mil budget.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
I just saw District 9, half an hour ago. There was only like 6 people at it including me and my accomplice so it was cool.

Having heard so much good about it I thought it would be good, and it was. It was extremely brilliant - beyond my expectations. Definitely the best movie this year. The alien weapons were really cool also, great story-line too.
10/10

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
The Knowing - 7/10 (in case you can't see this)

Interesting storyline for about 15 minutes in but then it followed predictable Nicholas Cage acting/omfg why do I have that so surprised look on my face progression as far as story goes.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Thunderbirds Are Go- 5/10

This flick could have worked really well if the hadn't made it such a kiddie picture. A more adult storyline and subtexts would have carried in the film fine in my opinion.

As for the look of the film and the special fx, in my opinion, they really did justice to the machines and the scale of the Thunderbirds universe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Fight club:

This is really one of the worst movies I've ever watched. Flat out boring, uninspired bloated crap, acting skills of both brad pitt and edward norton totally gone wrong. The story was what I believe to be an ungoing tirade of dullness, very depressing. Not to mention that hideous chick, she's pure poison and extremily unsexy. Maybe they should've casted a real woman instead. Carboard acting, one dimensional story and lame ending.

out of ten.

There.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Fight club:

This is really one of the worst movies I've ever watched. Flat out boring, uninspired bloated crap, acting skills of both brad pitt and edward norton totally gone wrong. The story was what I believe to be an ungoing tirade of dullness, very depressing. Not to mention that hideous chick, she's pure poison and extremily unsexy. Maybe they should've casted a real woman instead. Carboard acting, one dimensional story and lame ending.

out of ten.

There.

bwahahaha :lol:
subliminal we be!

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Rendition. There are some clichés filmmakers can't seem to avoid. Shots of planes landing in Washington, D.C., being seen lowering behind the Washington Monument is one of them. Casting Meryl Streep as an evil politician or agent another. And I can't count how often I've seen a group of radical islamists coming together in a mosque to listen to the most general and unmotivating Jihadist speeches imaginable. These kinds of movies are lacking a twist, we've seen it all before. And it's not engaging enough (besides maybe the character Reese Witherspoon's playing, who becomes better towards the ending) to be controversial and have any political impact. It even got annoying at one point, when Jake Gyllenhaal's character started getting preachy. 6/10

Reservoir Dogs. Best thing about the movie is the companionship shown between Mr. White and Mr. Orange. The whole undercover cop aspect is riddled with plotholes, but as style triumphs over substance, it doesn't matter much. 9/10

Smilla's Sense of Snow. The title character's behaviour doesn't really make much sense, especially in the beginning - it always seems like important scenes were cut out between what you see. It's also funny how all the Danish people speak with British accents. Even though the plot is moved forward in overly contrived ways and the ending is too sharp a break from the rest of the movie (and bordering on ruining it all), this is actually a rather captivating thriller. The best thing about it is the cinematography, which manages to deliver a constant feeling of coldness. 7/10

Funny Games. Great opening sequence, great rest of the movie (with the exception of the actors seeming a little... stiff in the beginning). The nonchalance of the two hostage takers while committing their deeds was the most disturbing about the film. 9/10

Funny Games U.S. What's the point of remaking a movie exactly like the original, that is, using the same shots, the same words, the same style? It's just like the 1997 version, except that it's redundant and the acting is much worse - especially that of the two hostage takers, who were much more sinister and psychotic in the original. Interestingly enough, watching it all again had the effect on me that Haneke originally wanted to criticize: I grew indifferent to the violence and torture shown. 5/10

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Rendition. There are some clichés filmmakers can't seem to avoid. Shots of planes landing in Washington, D.C., being seen lowering behind the Washington Monument is one of them. Casting Meryl Streep as an evil politician or agent another. And I can't count how often I've seen a group of radical islamists coming together in a mosque to listen to the most general and unmotivating Jihadist speeches imaginable. These kinds of movies are lacking a twist, we've seen it all before. And it's not engaging enough (besides maybe the character Reese Witherspoon's playing, who becomes better towards the ending) to be controversial and have any political impact. It even got annoying at one point, when Jake Gyllenhaal's character started getting preachy. 6/10

Yeah, though fictional, I think the Bourne series had a more interesting take on black ops/clandestine govt ops that operate without impunity or oversight.