Led Zeppelin plagerizes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Don't think so, if you listen closely it's not even close. Besides,"Taurus" sucks and it's not even close to one of Spirit's best songs. "The 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" contains all their best stuff.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Yes; it's old news. During the Celebration Day reunion concert Robert Plant pretty much admits to it...and says something to the effect of:

"Everybody steals stuff"

But he admits they took their stuff from the original blues singers of the1920's and '30's........

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
From what I understand, the statue of limitations resets when Led Zep re-releases the album, so the lawsuit can move forward.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I've never heard of this claim, but it honestly doesn't sound that similar. It's a fairly simple song and I bet that if you looked hard enough you'd find a dozen songs that sound like the Spirit song.

A big resounding meh.

I'm a huge Zeppelin fan. They're one of my favorites and there's no denying their greatness. However, I know they're more than a little guilty of lifting stuff here and there. Any blues fan can attest to that.

Spirit can go fuck off. Sour grapes.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I've never heard of this claim, but it honestly doesn't sound that similar. It's a fairly simple song and I bet that if you looked hard enough you'd find a dozen songs that sound like the Spirit song.

A big resounding meh.

I'm a huge Zeppelin fan. They're one of my favorites and there's no denying their greatness. However, I know they're more than a little guilty of lifting stuff here and there. Any blues fan can attest to that.

Spirit can go **** off. Sour grapes.
The claim regarding Stairway sounded a bit thin. I thought the case for Dazed and Confused was stronger. That said, who knows where the earlier Dazed and Confused came from?

It's not what you steal when it comes to influence, it's what you add and the LZ version of Dazed and Confused was a lot stronger.

I recall reading in a book about the great Tin Pan Alley song writing teams about a pair (don't remember the names) who had a weekly radio show that demanded one new song per week and they were asked, "Didn't that take a lot out of you?" and the reply was, "No. But it sure took a lot out of Bach, Beethoven and Mozart!"

This has been going on for as long as people have been writing songs and as long as it isn't too egregious, I don't see a problem - it's what you add, not what you take that matters.

On the same topic, when I introduced my daughter to Stairway, she said, "Oh! They've taken that bit from Maroon 5..." :)

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I agree it's far reaching. I hear remnants of both in each, but to say it's a snatch you would need a deaf ear.

whatever. I'm sure "Led Zeppelin" can afford to write a quick check to some needy turds.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values

A big resounding meh.

Spirit can go fuck off. Sour grapes.
Word and +1 to everything you said.