Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions-9/10

The missus wanted to watch the first film and then we ended up watching all three back to back. I don't know how many times I've seen these flicks but they never get old.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Season of the Witch 7/10

Got an extra mark because it was way better than I expected.

Many spoilers below - if your are reading this in an e-mail then STOP NOW.

At the start, we have the mystery of is she or isn't she a witch? The transition from noble objective through growing doubt to what lay beyond plays out well. That is the unexpected strength of this film.

Locations were just peachy.

I liked the script's view that honour is defined by one's actions and not by one's position and its willingness to not shirk from the outcome that sometimes requires. Happy endings were in seriously short supply.

The interplay between the two central characters (yes, it is also a buddy movie) works well. At first I was rather irritated by the excessively "now" style of the dialogue but in the end I think it worked.

Cage and Perlman were great. Their typical onscreen personas present but suitably toned down (to good effect).

What else? Plenty of enjoyable battles and sword fighting and a sense of increasing dread contribute to the mix.

When all is said and done, Season of the Witch is still a relatively low-budget fantasy quest film shot in Eastern Europe but it stands head and shoulders above the usual entries in the genre.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions-9/10

The missus wanted to watch the first film and then we ended up watching all three back to back. I don't know how many times I've seen these flicks but they never get old.

My favourite movie franchise. I just don't get why the second and third movies are so underrated.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Independance Day - 8/10

Hard to believe this film is nearly 15 years old but it does capture Will Smith at the peak of his acting career in what is undoubtably a film that re-defined what a blockbuster movie should be.
The sheer amount of American patriotism and over-acting is what most people remember about the film but it delivers the action in spades.

Lruce Bee

May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
In Time - 5/10

Justin Timberlake trying his best to act seriously in a film that, on the surface, has quite a unique storyline to it - bottom line is, time is used as currency in a future dystopia, reminiscent of Logans Run.
Initially you get 25 years for free but after the that, the clock starts ticking down with only a year left until you expire & you have to constantly find ways to keep it topped up, usually nicking it off someone else or earning time extensions through other means.
The whole film is based around this initial concept but loads more could have been done with it.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
The movie where Tom Cruise climbs the tallest building in the world - 7.5/10

Very entertaining popcorn flick. Non-stop action and really cool gadgets that can only exist in such a film.

8/10!? The film was pretty poor other than the effects D:

GTFO! ID4 is incredible, and one of the most re-watchable films of all time. :tup:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol 6.5/10

Possibly it's the season of goodwill, but yet another film that exceeded expectations.

For the most part, the action was great (some of the stunts looked like they really did hurt) and as an action movie this pretty much did what it said on the tin.

Just as well, because the plot had more holes than the proverbial Swiss cheese, the characters were anonymous and not particularly likeable. Keeping the arch-villain off-screen might have worked for Lord of the Rings but not so much here.

I think these (and other defects) limit the re-watchability of the film. It will never be like a good James Bond even though some of the action is up there with the best of the entire Bond series.

Lynx translating "Ghost" as "Phantom" reminds me of an (almost certainly apocryphal) story of an early exercise in machine translation where "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" was translated from English to Russian and back again into English, where it emerged as "The vodka is good but the meat is rotten". Nothing to do with MI:GP, I just liked the story. :)

Lruce Bee

May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Terminator2 - Judgement Day - 9/10

This 21 year old film (that's right, 21 years) is another movie that re-defined what a summer blockbuster should be and it more than earns it's place as one of the most awesome action movies ever made.
Arnie, doing what he does best, basically not saying a lot and looking menacing went on to become one of Holywoods action film icons.
As for the rest of the cast, they disappeared into obscurity but Cameron went on to give us two other giants in movie history, Titanic & Avatar.
Not a bad CV James.

Lruce Bee

May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - 5/10

It would have to be one hell of a movie to top Terminator 2 and unfortunately, this isn't it.
Something about the wimpy Nick Stahl, who plays John Connor, just doesn't ring true and his supposedly resistance leading attributes are nowhere to be seen.
Arnie, who really started to show his age in this movie, just didn't have that sparkle in his cybernetic eye anymore and his acting was even more wooden than usual (if that's at all possible)
Kristinna Loken, who plays the T-X terminator, looks great in tight leather and looking like she's just walked off a cat-walk in Milan, never convinces as a ruthless death machine and it all starts to get a bit silly later on in the movie.
The chase scene with the crane truck is pretty awesome though but that's what all the budget was blown on by the looks of things.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
We can't send chemical components back!

*Film #3: send back Terminator with a laser gun*.

The CGI in the crane truck scene actually wanes halfway through and it starts to look very budget.