Which do you think is the best UT from all series?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which do you think is the best UT game from the series?

• UT 99 / Classic

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • UT2k3 / UT2k4

Votes: 48 36.6%
  • UT 3

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Hope I posted this correctly here and that noone else made this topic before me. I always wondered since UT3 was released however what the general opinion of the community is precisely about which the best Unreal Tournament game of them all is.

The question goes on between UT classic, the 2k3 and 2k4 series and of course the new UT3. I know most are likely UT99 fans and will say it's the best one, a thing I cannot disagree with as I used to play it a lot and enjoyed it very much. I myself believe 2k4 is the greatest one from them all however, because it contains almost everything UT classic has plus many other wonderful things. I don't think anyone can say 2k3 can be better then 2k4 as 2004 is just 2003 with many other addons... but yeah, what is everyone's opinion of which is the best?

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Found this the most suitable section from all on the forum, but please move my topic if it's better somewhere else. And yeah I'm a furry, but I don't participate in fights :) Anyway like I said, Ut99 is in it's way the best. I remember when I used to play it a long time ago when I was only 14 and it rocked. When 2k4 was released (by that time my PC could slowly run it) I thought it was bad like I'm thinking about UT3 now, but over the years after playing 2k4 I started to enjoy it's complexity, new game types and all other features combined to the nice new rendering effects. So I can say that my best memories and biggest enjoyment are with 2k4 right now :D

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Very true on that side too, Angel_Mapper. The advantage in 2k4 starts with the paintable terrain which is something very useful and great. After that, the most important thing is of course meshing technology and support for the use of meshes. Then the volumes instead of zones only, followed by the sunlight lightning type which is very useful for outdoors and of course the new texture / material effects and the other things.

What I hated in the UT3 editor most was the fact they removed the possibility to put a texture directly on a surface, removed the skybox technology which did have its purpose and now you have to use giant space-wide meshes for the sky though that was needed for the advantage of making your map in space rather then a substract, and a few other things I can't fully remember now.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The skybox "technology" was removed because it was a performance hog. Most skyboxes were static, so they could be done as a simple cubemap texture applied directly instead of marking the surface as fake backdrop. This is exactly what you can do in UT3, btw.

My vote goes to UT200x as well. Sure, UT3 gameplay is very nice, but modding (especially compiling) and the interface was so much better in UT2004. UT3's hard-coded (!) directory structure is a huge mess.

Last edited:
Out of all of the UT series, I am stuck between UT and UT2004.

Sure UT3 has great gameplay (and I can care less about the complaints), but what prevents me to choose UT3 is that the modding capabilities are more complicated and difficult than the previous series. In fact, UT3's new way of modding is not as similar, like UT2004's similar to UT. And Cooking? (Who came up with that command?)

From the gameplay side, UT has the win.

And a small fact, it takes me nearly two minutes to load up the UT3's editor!

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
I'm a bit stuck between 99' and 2K4 when considering the gameplay and mapping perspectives, and I agree with what most have said. I think due to variety of modes and mods and mapping flexibility compared to 99', that 2K4 will just get my vote, but 99' is my preference from a solely gameplay view-point.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Gameplay yeah, I can agree that in UT classic you feel a bit different in your character, and the way you move and shoot is different (smaller and more rapid and direct if I can describe it like that). Just as a note for those who would like it in case you didn't already check the entire mutators list... I think there are some mutators in 2k4 to have a similar gameplay type to UT Classic. Of course nothing 100% similar nor close but maybe they can be more suitable for some UT classic fans in the 2kX series.

As for the modding, I now remembered another annoyance in the UT3 editor; To have a preview and description of your map, it must also carry an .ini file. That one was the most annoying one to start with, when some mappers try to keep file count to a minimum.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I go with UT without any doubt. Most entertaining gameplay and Single Player stuff make it a total win.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
C'mon people, why make such kind of polls - Is there actually any doupt that first UT has so far smashed all sequels to the ground :p

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
UT2003 is better than UT2004 because it was more fun.

Yeah, same here. :p

However i voted for first UT.
And I don't rate the ut2003 content in ut2004, or some of the unreleased ut2003 beta maps appearing there, but rather the new content and it isn't that great and most of the new dm maps are just meh and the dm gameplay too unless you activate a lots of mutators.
At all, ut2k4 is just a patchwork or crazy quilt or how to say it.
It sure has more modding abilities, but it's all disorganised (however I know ut3 is probably more disorganised as I saw the system when i insatlled demo although unable to run it because of some dll error, taht's why i didnt try ut3 yet) and that system is taken from quake games or half life, that with having a folder own for the mod and running game with -mod like parameter.
And I don't like overall the feel of ut2k4 and its artistic value is a lot lower than the other u games. This is not about cartoonish graphics and incredible colours.

Last edited:

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
I consider the graphics very much myself. I mean look at the difference between the simple BSP-only maps in UT classic and the meshed maps in the 2kX series. Even if many don't pay too much attention to these details, it's a big difference if you look around a bit. Also the terrain, which alongside being so easily editable is also nothing compared to what you could do in UT classic from the graphics point of view (UT classic was never really made for outdoor maps I believe, just because of the terrain technology being so limited there).

On the gameplay side again, one thing I love about 2k4 over UT classic is that it has many new and awesome features. Alongside the new gametypes, having vehicles is really awesome, and being able to use them around large maps to do missions and objectives. Also, UT2k4 allows better strategy arrangement for bots. In instant action you can manually specify which bots exactly you have in your team and assign each orders even before the game begins (you open the bots properties and set the default order of the bot from there). The removal of these features is another thing I very much disliked in UT3, where you can only choose a bot category to fight against and cannot assign them any orders before the game starts.