Ideas for Posting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Well, either way, I think we can all agree that UT's maps shouldn't look like UT3's. Seriously, that crap was dark and grimy, I couldn't see anything. This is gonna sound weird but there was too much detail as well and as a result, everything just looked so cluttered and distracting on top of everything else. UT2004 also suffered this to a lesser degree with a lot of techy detail EVERYWHERE. Technogrates, technolights, technopipes...

Yeah, we really need to avoid all this for at least most of the maps. Even though UT99 is now 15 years old, I'm beginning to appreciate its overall level design more and more. Detailed enough to look halfway decent (for a 90's game) yet still clean and neat and easy to spot other players in and also varied enough to feel, well, unreal. It felt like I was playing a shooter that was going between all these different worlds. With UT2004, all the base maps were mostly just visits to Technoland, and with UT3, it was visits to Gearsofwarland.

DISCLAIMER: I really liked the Gears of War series.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The best maps in UT3 were without a doubt the ones with a complexity level closer to UT2004. Some of the UT3 maps you could barely wall dodge in, because protrusions and indentations made for really weird walls.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I want to share, but I'm not sure where to put this.

I remastered the Unreal Tournament text and vectorized it. The download file contains SVG, PDF and AI files. Enjoy!

Download here. (preview is low res and does not represent the actual vector quality)

unrealtournamentlogovectors_by_crotale-d7ibuo7.png

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Here is my first real shot at making a logo for this game (just for fun). The idea was to make the metallic pieces look clean and new, but not polished or painted. The interior textures are meant to give off an organic appearance. These tow elemental styles intend to portray the new game, indicating the new approach to visual style of keeping the maps fairly clutter free, easy to see other players, etc., as well as relay the idea the game is homegrown within Epic and the community as a living type of project. I also wanted to retain certain visual elements of past game logos, such as the little circles inside the U shield.

Not sure if I pulled it off, but here is the product.

[screenshot]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/135/e/7/unrealtournamentthelogo_by_crotale-d7igdu9.png[/screenshot]

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think I'd like to see the letters just slightly larger, and more "wear" on them as if they've been through battle.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Really like the colours. Easy on the eyes. I was thinking of asking wether you could make a gold rusty version as well, but honestly the blue-red works better.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Brizz, I will bold the text and see how it looks form there. Also, someone over on the UE forums suggested I use the UT3 "T" shapes in the word Tournament to give the logo a more sportsy appeal. What do you think?

Neonite, thanks. I actually considered the worn gold but decided on these colors. I am happy my choice seems to be the more correct one so far. I got lucky.

UTNemesis

Feb 24, 2008
Would a black and gold version look good? Regardless the red-grey combo seems to work nicely.

Should another thread be started for artwork such as this?

P.S. Nice job Crotale :)

Uncouth

Nothing to see here
May 10, 2006
No place I wanna be.
Here is my first real shot at making a logo for this game (just for fun). The idea was to make the metallic pieces look clean and new, but not polished or painted. The interior textures are meant to give off an organic appearance. These tow elemental styles intend to portray the new game, indicating the new approach to visual style of keeping the maps fairly clutter free, easy to see other players, etc., as well as relay the idea the game is homegrown within Epic and the community as a living type of project. I also wanted to retain certain visual elements of past game logos, such as the little circles inside the U shield.

Not sure if I pulled it off, but here is the product.

[screenshot]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/135/e/7/unrealtournamentthelogo_by_crotale-d7igdu9.png[/screenshot]

Do you mind if I use this as my new Desktop Background? Fantastic work by the way, I hope Epic uses it.

P.S. BU is the best community ever, tis why I've been stalking it for like 8 years.:D

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Do you mind if I use this as my new Desktop Background?

Here is an updated look if you wish to use it. http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/140/a/5/utwip15_by_crotale-d7j3jt2.jpg

This is a desktop background sporting my latest logo rendition. http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/141/4/8/ut_wallpaper_by_crotale-d7j6r2p.jpg

Fantastic work by the way, I hope Epic uses it.

Thanks. I have no fantasies about Epic using my doodles, although it would be nice to know that I contributed to the game.

Last edited:

Doz

Dream Theater
Jan 24, 2008
Florida
www.unrealgamingleague.com
It is good to see many of the peeps I know from my Unreal days.

1. I would like to know what I need to download UT to help with game play feedback?

2. Do you have to pay the UE4.3 monthly to play?

My setup should handle it.
I have custom built gaming PC running Win7 64 bit and have a EVGA GTX760 2GB on the way.

I have a home recording studio and can make sound tracks.

Hope to play some UT with some of my old unreal gang.;)

It is good to see many of the peeps I know from my Unreal days.

1. I would like to know what I need to download UT to help with game play feedback?

2. Do you have to pay the UE4.3 monthly to play?

My setup should handle it.
I have custom built gaming PC running Win7 64 bit and have a EVGA GTX760 2GB on the way.

I have a home recording studio and can make sound tracks.

Hope to play some UT with some of my old unreal gang.;)

Check out Unreal Tournament forums, register there and see what pops up! You do not need the license to play but you need it to build your own version of the game from the source