The Religion Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
*Sigh
Or how about coming to this site to talk about Unreal-related stuff ?

Hey doc, here's how I see it. Epic has put Unreal out to pasture and they've siphoned off whatever small community remains with their official forums and UDK site. They're providing what we used to provide... well, we actually did a lot more than that when there was the need. The irony is that they've become the Corporate Community Killers that they used to accuse Gamespy of being.

But let me ask you a question in all seriousness... outside of the Epic-run site, where's this community you speak of that's still alive and kicking? I'm completely unaware of anything significant happening in the Unreal universe. Clue me in.

I love Unreal, but without new games on the horizon and loads of community content to report on, there's just not much to say. That's what we've always done well... taking the cream of the crop and putting the spotlight on it.

Also, this site is now, and has been for many years now, primarily run by Sir_Brizz and myself. And when I say "primarily", I mean completely. I'm an old dude now and my general gaming interests have spread in absence of an Unreal title to obsess over. Without volunteers from the community, who hold specific interests and who are really passionate about the relative minutiae taking place, to report on the news... what you see is what you get for the time being.

We've recently poked around Epic to see if anything is happening with Unreal and pretty much came away with - "go check out UDK". UDK is great and all but as far as I can tell, Epic has that market cornered. There's no need for discussion outside of the official channels.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'll be the first to admit it.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
There is only one community site still running and that's ut99.org. That forum is still very active. Map raider still has new content posted but the forums are pretty much dead.

I guess you're going to have to explain because I'm looking at their forum right now. You can tell how active a forum is by looking at the last post of each thread.

In the General Discussions forum the posts on page one, starting at the top: Jan 19, 2013. Still page one, looking at the bottom: September 05, 2012.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I clicked 'new posts' using my login.

That's busy for the ut community
It is... now. I guess the point is there aren't any very active communities. Having a dozen posts a day is not much activity.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
We all know about the demise of Unreal. What I'm concerned about is the evolution of Off Topic in the past two years in the absence of a game. Quite frankly I'm not sure forums will ever be the same again. Reasonable people have left to Facebook. Only the QQ, trolling, and social ineptness remains.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
It is... now. I guess the point is there aren't any very active communities. Having a dozen posts a day is not much activity.

Just pointing out the important part of your statement

I wasn't attacking anyone btw.
I would also like to return to those days where there where huge amount of sites and big vibrant community but it will never be again. The Q3A mapping comunity is still going but it is also a shadow of it's former self. The Half life community is probably the same way.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
*Sigh
Or how about coming to this site to talk about Unreal-related stuff ?

This site is swamped with off-topic stuff, and has made it the most flashing/blinking spam-trap of inane b*llocks that have nothing to do with gaming, let-alone Unreal.
see I don't understand this idea.

first of all, Unreal has been dead in the eyes of the gaming world for years.
no Unreal site is relevant because Unreal is not relevant. we all love it, that's why we came here originally, that's part of the reason a lot of us are still here, but that doesn't mean we can't branch out. variety is the spice of life.

secondly, get a grip. BuF is not your social life.
when Unreal began to fade some people got older, some older people got bolder, everyone got a little bored, and some of us found our interests evolving into politics, etc. it's not like this stuff ever invaded the gaming chat. Off topic was always off topic. and religious/political threads still account for the vast minority of all OT threads.

don't like em'?
don't read em'. but crying about it doesn't improve anything.
the inmates are certainly in charge of the asylum, and your observation that even the admins are starting to hate it isn't far off.
see? this is a crying shame.
get over yourself. really.

no one's in charge of anything except for Brizz and Hal.
I don't know what you (or Dr. Flay) expected; that BuF was just going to make fart and turd jokes forever and ever until the day the last member died? that people in Off topic would never chat about things which are... off... topic? that you'd never be offended by an anonymous person during some dumb political discussion?

I mean really.
if this place is so terrible, go away and stop coming back. if the admins just hate it soooooooo much, maybe they should shut it down and stop paying to run the servers :rolleyes:

We all know about the demise of Unreal. What I'm concerned about is the evolution of Off Topic in the past two years in the absence of a game. Quite frankly I'm not sure forums will ever be the same again. Reasonable people have left to Facebook. Only the QQ, trolling, and social ineptness remains.

So which one are you? We're forming cliques, want to make sure you get the right invite.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
Boom.

I can understand leaving if you don't like it, but sticking around just to complain about how terrible it is just makes you a little bitch. Contribute something better or shut the fuck up.

I understand (which I think is the problem you had with me) but the man can't express his opinion?

Although he did it a tad too much...

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
get over yourself. really.

no one's in charge of anything except for Brizz and Hal.

You think I was talking about myself? Your statement is correct Brizz and Hal are in charge. I see a bit more than others because I was staff at one point, but I have no more part in decisions than anyone else. Trash like you wouldn't be here anymore if I had anything to do with it.

As for the idea that I should just leave. I'm in it until the end no matter how much you ruin things. Best get used to the fact.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Why can't you two admit that you are in love with each other?

[M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzouwIQ1Z3c[/M]

Think this applies to the two that always fight on these forums