A Different Sort of Mouse Sensitivity Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Same mouse sensitivity across all games?

• Same

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Different

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Consistency is good as many of you have said in the past about mouse sensitivity. But what about across difference games? Do you try to keep your sensitivity the same or adjust it for the game such as slower for smaller/faster/further target games and faster for bigger/slower/up close target games. Would using different mouse sens for games mess up your aim consistency or is it better to adjust for the game and just get used to a different sensitivity per game?

edit: Another twist are games such as CoD4 where essentially have two different mouse senstivity's, one for walking around and the other for iron sights the latter being the most used.

Last edited:

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Different actually. But then again I only play about 3 fps games in average. UT2k4, UT3 and Crysis.
UT2k4 and ut3 is roughly the same medium sense, but Crysis is a little different. Faster due to being able to run up to enemies and punch them in the nose :)

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Another thing to think about is instead of the usual way of measuring sensitivity, cm per 360 degree turn ingame, one should use the distance of an enemies hitbox on your screen for the same feel. As in if you move your mouse 1 inch in for 1 games hitbox you should move your mouse 1 inch for another games hitbox even though the hitbox in that game is smaller. This would mean you would need a lower sensitivity in the game with the smaller hitbox. This might give yourself the illusion of the sensitivity of both games being the same therefore your hand will still move consistently across both games.

Of course you would need to think about at what distance encounters in each game happen at and other variables such as movement speed, change direction speed and others if you wanted an exact feel I think. And yes, I have thought a lot about this topic ;p

Last edited:

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
I've gotten used to having a 360° turn be the same as the width of my mouse pad. So that's the first thing I usually do after rebinding the wasd setup to esdf. It can be a PITA but worth it to me.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Same... The current game I'm into usually affects other games I still tool around with.

For instance, my UT2004 sens. was around 9" per 360 when I was into it. Now that I'm into CoD4, that feels far too slow, so it's down to around 6" now (I think; at work slacking off). But I don't actually play UT2004 anymore, so it's a moot issue, I suppose.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I don't even know how I'd get it to be the same in every game. I just adjust it until it feels right.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Back in the days I tried to use the same in all games. Length of the mouse pad = x turns.

And then I started working in IT support, had to use a dozen different mice with different speeds every day. That totally destroys everything your muscles ever knew about quickly turning 90° to the left and a bit up for a head shot. Nowadays my aim is pretty bad and I go with the above mentioned route of "I just adjust it until it feels right.".

Last edited:

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
My sensitivity is different for each game.
In CPMA it's much higher than in UT, for example.

Too lazy to check each game. D:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I try for same, but sometimes I just can't be arsed trying to tweak it just right for every single game. Not to mention those bloody friggen games that force mouse accel on you. asdf.