WinXP and April 8th?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Anyone have a clue or knows someone that knows someone that has a clue exactly what will happen on April 8th? Are they shutting off XP and Office 2003 updates completely or just stopping posting new ones? I have 3 computers to update and only 2 will be accessible on April 8th and that's why I'm asking. If they just stop posting new ones and give us until the end of April to get them, then I'm OK and will update the 3rd XP computer at the end of the week. Any ideas on this? I've asked at Rage3D already and can't seem to get a definite answer. Thank you.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'm pretty sure they're just stopping future updates. If not, you can always download the individual packages from Microsoft.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
April 8th will be the last time new WinXP updates are made available. I doubt they will shut down the update website right away. Back when e.g. Win98 support was discontinued, already available Windows updates were still provided for quite a while.

Ultimately you should consider upgrading those PCs within the next few months, because, unlike Microsoft, the "bad guys" will keep providing "updates" for their "software". And they can even use Vista/7/8(.1) patches to figure out problems on WinXP.
Your options:
  • Vista (not really) - still in extended support phase for the next 3 years, so you'd have the same problem again
  • 7 (best option, IMHO) - mainstream support ends next year in January, but extended support lasts until January 2020, which means Microsoft can even fuck up Win 9 and you'd still have support ;)
  • 8.1 (meh) - mainstream support until January 2018, extended support until January 2023, but you have to like tiles and flat UIs if you want to give this one a try

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Well, that's why I started this thread, because THE SOURCE is not clear as to exactly what they mean. Reading the M$ site, it sounds like support will all cease and no more DLs after April 8th. I'm pretty sure the downloads can still be downloaded after April 8th, but it's not completely crystal clear. If so, then no problem. If not, then the 3rd computer will be hosed.;)

Yes, I did get a Windows 8.1 laptop at the end of Feb. 2014, so I'll be using that also and will eventually take my desktop offline.:)

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Also most modern Linux distributions don't even work on most XP machines, since they often compile their kernels expecting certain CPU extensions that were added in 2008+, as well as good video driver support tending to be at least GTX2xx or HD5xxx... and then there's the terrible window managers, compositors and the 'civil wars' between them, with the only sane one being xfce since it doesn't try to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

An awful experience I remember having is a noticeable mouse lag with the wheel, and the only solution to 'fix' that was to have a 'realtime' kernel - which is zealously GPL to the point it doesn't allow non-Free driver blobs to work with its paravirtualization - which makes it useless for gaming.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
No updates so far.

EDIT: I spoke too soon.;) 4 so far today:

1. KB2922229 > Security update
2. KB890830 > Malicious software removal tool - April 2014
3. KB2936068 > Cumulative security update for IE8 (i still have it installed...so...WTF):)
4. KB2878236 > Security update for MS Office 2007 suites (on a computer with Office 2002 installed)

EDIT AGAIN: I guess that was it.

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Better game support? Better application support? I mean there's a good number of software packages that outperform their free alternatives, if those exist at all. Running them with WINE probably doesn't work correctly all the time either.

Wine is actually pretty good these days, but game support is still better on XP. I would also try PlayOnLinux, which is basically Wine with profiles and a better interface.

With that said, if you just need to browse the web and perform general office and social media stuff you'll be fine on any well-supported distro.

Also most modern Linux distributions don't even work on most XP machines since they often compile their kernels expecting certain CPU extensions that were added in 2008+

False. The linux-generic kernel package is what generally ships with the majority of distros today, and it is guaranteed to run on any i686 or newer CPU. Keep in mind that i686 was the Pentium 3/Athlon generation and has been around since the late 90's.

as well as good video driver support tending to be at least GTX2xx or HD5xxx...

Again, this is false. I run well-supported distros like Mint, Elementary, etc. on a variety of hardware (newer and older) running a variety of GPUs. Everything from an on-board nVidia 6150SE to my XFX HD5850 has been supported out-of-the-box since I can remember. When I was rocking a Geforce FX5200 years ago that was supported too.

The only GPU-related issue I have had in the last five years or so was with Elementary, specifically getting a dual monitor setup to work on the HD5850 in my production rig. Elementary is still in development and currently lacks any kind of GUI for fixing this. I had to write a bash script that ran XRandR and placed the desktop manually every boot to resolve it.

If you want to install proprietary drivers for a performance boost, it is now trivial to do that on most popular distros because jockey exists.

If you have a newer laptop with a hybrid GPU setup, I wouldn't run Linux on it. Driver support isn't there yet and the kernel doesn't handle them well.

and then there's the terrible window managers,

That is personal preference. I have used pretty much all of them, and I have personally found XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon, Openbox, LXDE, and KDE4/Plasma to all be pretty damn good.

compositors and the 'civil wars' between them

Yeah, uh, it wasn't really a war so much as "a few months of not knowing which one to pick." Compiz pretty much won way back in like 2008. You can move on with your life now.

XFCE4 comes with an excellent built-in compositor if you're running that DE.

An awful experience I remember having is a noticeable mouse lag with the wheel, and the only solution to 'fix' that was to have a 'realtime' kernel - which is zealously GPL to the point it doesn't allow non-Free driver blobs to work with its paravirtualization - which makes it useless for gaming.

Uh ... ok, then.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Wine is actually pretty good these days, but game support is still better on XP. I would also try PlayOnLinux, which is basically Wine with profiles and a better interface.

With that said, if you just need to browse the web and perform general office and social media stuff you'll be fine on any well-supported distro.
Well, yes, but I'm pretty sure Wormbo does a bit more than office and facebook :p

On another note: I have Linux Mint 16, Ubuntu based. Should I ditch it and install Mint LMDE, or I'm fine as it is?

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
On another note: I have Linux Mint 16, Ubuntu based. Should I ditch it and install Mint LMDE, or I'm fine as it is?

You're probably fine as you are, but keep in mind that LMDE is built on Debian, not Ubuntu. It will probably be a lot lighter in the RAM department but you should expect more rough edges.

If you want to try out a solid-yet-simple Debian-based distro with very few rough edges, I recommend SolydX. It won't be as pretty as Mint out of the box but it's modern, ships with the same menu Mint uses, and it's easy to install additional themes from the repos.

Here it is running on my netbook after some tweaking:

E6wfqlV.png

And some stats, before tweaking:

IkOoOKK.png

XFCE4 running on less than 200mb of RAM with modern utilities is hard to do.

If you like KDE there's a version with that too.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Heh... thanks for the tip! That's what I'll use for my half-broken netbook.

I will be sticking to what I have atm though. I like Mint. Just need to integrate a few things like a programming IDE, Wine and Mono, radio support, Arm cross-compiling and the kernel source to fuck around with Atheros wifi