"Start new multiplayer game" issue

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sirax

Aug 9, 2009
Hey all,

A friend and me would like to play UT 99 again, 1on1 on just a simple home made server...
So I do this:
Go to Start new multiplayer game option...
Set up the hole thing (map, max players, mutators,...)
Click on Start

I gave my friend my IP adres and when he wants to connect... the screen stays on Connecting to <My IP> all the time.

Does anyone know whats wrong?

Thx in advance
Greets,

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
If you have a gateway router for cable or ADSL, you might have to configure that to forward the correct TCP and UDP ports from your external IP address to the IP address of your PC on your LAN.

If you have a Windows PC you might also need to configure the Windows firewall to allow the incoming connection.

Google "Unreal Tournament firewall settings"

Sirax

Aug 9, 2009
I went to the menu where I can configure the Windows firewall settings.
UT was allowed Home/Work (Private) but not Public.

Should it be fixed when I check on also Public?
Is that what you mean with incoming (Public) connection?

Greets

Sirax

Aug 9, 2009
But I haven't done anything in my gateway router... because I don't have a router. My internet cable just comes in directly in a simple HUB (just to get internet on more then 1 PC) and from there to my pc. It's just a simple HUB, but not a router.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
So you have a Cable/ADSL2USB adaptor? I used to have one and it's a pain in the butt, especially not having Internet access if you've just reinstalled Windows. I'm guessing that switching to public allows internet IPs access to an application but I've no idea if it's safe to do so. I'd use another software firewall that allows more finetuning in future.

Last edited: