UT GotY or 2007?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Medix

Jan 1, 2009
I just played WoW alot and decided I want to go back to fps games. and rememberd my favourite game was UT. a while back I played GotY edition, still have the original CDs. but it's been like 8 years since and i'm damn scared to open that closet. I can't even start to imagine how much mods, maps, bonus packs are out there and I wouldn't even know where to start.
As for UT3, I read a while here and all I hear is whining about the game sucking so hard it makes... *censured*. It could be whines but an entire forum can't be wrong.
I would really like to hear your suggestions and opinions.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
This is for playing online ? if so, UT1 has probably got the most players. Don't be intimidated by the mods out there as most of them aren't played. If you're interested in a game that has eye candy and want some solo action, UT3 could be a better choice. I'd try both considering UT can be had for an unbeatable price.

http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/publisher/Epic Games

Last edited:

Medix

Jan 1, 2009
Well. I mean multiplayer wise. and are all the whines regarding UT3 true? because it kinda looks good. can I have some solid information about whats so wrong about the game?..

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
UT 2007 doesn't exist for I'd pick GOTY ;)

Seriously though. If you want to just have quick fun UT GOTY is still better, to one point or another, both games are about equally empty online. GOTY probably has a even better crowd and the game is from 99. Epic Games and console focus is not a good match.

If you want to know what is wrong with UT3, simply take a look on our UT3 boards. You'll find out.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Well. I mean multiplayer wise. and are all the whines regarding UT3 true? because it kinda looks good. can I have some solid information about whats so wrong about the game?..

I don't know about online play but I bought UT3 a while ago and tested it playing the campaign.

It's not exactly an improvement on UT2004 (let's say it's a completely different game) but it's looks really nice in terms of graphics and it has an atmosphere UT2004 didn't have. I don't like the interface though as you have to dig down deep sometimes to do what you want.

As for gameplay, the physics are ok but it's annoying to hear a grunt every time you hit the ground (sack of potatoes style). The mouse control takes some getting used to and I hope it's playable if your pc is up to it. Oh, and the bots can be ridiculously precise and it's annoying to get caught on meshes. There are probably some better maps to play on out there though.

P.S: If you want some screenshots or other information I might be able to do something for you.

Last edited:

Medix

Jan 1, 2009
I tired DLing a demo of UT3 but for some unknown reason it dosent work. so I can't even play UT3 and see how it feels \ looks like.
And as I said I did read alot of threads on the forums but as an outside I'm still having problems with figureing out what the flux makes the game so bad?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Can your computer run UT3? What are the system specs? (graphics card and are the drivers up to date, amount of ram, type of processor and speed etc.)
Which version of directX do you have...

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Stick with the first one and forget the rest. Don't worry, you will be having so much fun with it you won't miss 'em.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Forget the complains about UT3, it is mainly because of UT2004 lovers and other trolls and banned members from Epic forums, which this forum is full of and the now famous "half of the forum which don't know what they are talking about". Don't let them scare you, try the game(or demo, or better wait for some patched demo if it comes out as UT3 demo is beta for yourself and then judge).
Mainly because UT2004 is opposite of UT3 in many things. But the gameplay overall is much better and it shows even when playing on classic map remakes, even some UT2004 maps are more fun than they were in ut2004.

I would play both UT and UT3 if I were you.

On original UT there is a lot of fun and if you won't find fun in deathmatch, you can download some custom content or play Unreal like singleplayer in oldskool mod (lots of mappacks for it and you can even play original unr).
Some things like the bonuspack4, assaultbonuspack, other mappacks are rather essential for you in UT and you should not miss them.

There are lots of conversions and mods to pickup, I didn't myself play most of them, there's too many of them and of some I was dissapointed and never went back playing to and the advices of these mods warry, so you must choose the quality yourself.
I personally think actually UT3 has or had more potential of being multiplayer game than original UT, simply because UT was first made as expansion pack for Unreal and believe it or not, it sucks in eyes of first Unreal lovers, simply because the weapons are made more generic and it has lost its atmosphere from original deathmatch and things were simplified (not always on negative aspect, but some things still bug me off and I am not happy with it, that's why UT3 is better because it takes away some generic things like jumpboots are being activated if you hit jump twice and not always, that was one of the most annoying things for me in original UT, having the jumpboots always activated, in Unreal you had to choose it from inventory, but of course lazy deathmatchers wanted it simple), I still prefer Unreal dm over UT too. And the levels were really rather bland in release and overall worse looking than Unreal levels. (bonuspacks solved this problem though)

Not to mention UT being the first game to break storyline first time hard, like temples built by Liandri (big WTF seriously, one of the worst things that happened to any story) and other breaking things in the storyline if you read them through matches. Yes you must not take it too seriously, but some people don't notice or don't want to notice this obvious thing, because they have respect for UT or don't wanna insult the community. That all means that UT3 doesn't suck so hard, period.

Also, it is interesting that TESUK changed, because he used to be UT hater in beginning.

It doesn't mean that UT3 is for console noobs, I was even called console noob, but I don't own any console, so it is not true(just referring to your sig IronKnuckle). The only console I had was NES, but that does make me console n00b too, right?

Last edited:

H3D_Sniper

Jan 15, 2009
www.hedsteem.com
Sup guys. I've got to agree that there are a lot of people complaining about UT3, but a lot of them where expecting UT2004 with better graphics. What they got was a little (a lot) different than what they where expecting.

IMHO, you should get UT3. Hedsteem has both a very modded DM and VCTF servers. We are also working on a Warfare server. There isn't a single vehicle that hasn't been modded. There are 3 flavors of Scorpions. The Mauler that shoots stinger shards, the Savage that shoots minigun rounds and the Hydra which shoots a burst of 6 rockets similar to the rocket turret. Rumple just got done changing the Hydra so the rockets lock onto air vehicles.

All the vehicles, except for the Scavanger, now have Jungle, Snow and Desert camo, along with the stock Urban skin. We just need to go through the maps on the servers to replace the vehicles with the correct camo variation.

The weapons have all been changed, too. Rumple cooked up the Scorcher flame thrower, a Shock Rifle that has negative momentum transfer. What I mean is the primary fire will pull stuff towards you instead of pushing it away.

This is just a taste of what we've got going on.

My suggestion is to at least try it. Heck, the game is only $15 now.

Morpheus300

7ry 7urning 7he Safe7y OFF!
Mar 15, 2009
UT3 has it's good points e.g. Higher graphics performance, it has a few bad points aswell e.g. No assault, domination or LMS but I recommend you stick with UT GoTY because alot of the things in GoTY aren't available