UE2 - UT2kX Config section

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Aug 22, 2012
Hey guys!
I'm rewriting some parts of utcomp.
I can't save the original game of utcomp mackage (I mean utcompv17a), cause players joining my server will have mistmach error.

So I rena,ed package to utcompv17x.
And of cource here is a problem: my "new" utcomp created ne section in ini, and working with it.

Is there any way to fix it? Can I set the working section?
Or maybe there's some way to fix mistmach file error?
Hope you'll help me guys. Thanks for your time. :)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The version mismatch could be prevented by means of conforming the package. However, this requires functional compatibility of any combination of original and modified package to make sense. Then again, the UTComp package is likely part of Anti TCC checks and you'd get kicked for modified package, which could cause cheating suspicions from admins, getting players banned without doing anything wrong.

There's no way to retain the package name used for the INI section after renaming a package.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
I can't save the original game of utcomp mackage (I mean utcompv17a), cause players joining my server will have mistmach error.
This would work since it is handled by the cache system, unless players have put the original utcompv17a.u in their System folder, which is something you do to use it offline.

- I'd only recompile using the same package name if it's a beta version, where hotfixes and quickfixes are supposed to happen.
- Another major issue with recompiling your changes using the same package name, is that you break demo recordings. Players would have to keep collections of the right utcompv17a.u files to play back the demos.
- I also have no idea what conforming the package means. :) Like stripping the package name out of references to classes? class'bla' instead of class'package.bla'?

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
No, conforming rearranges the export and name tables of a package to match the layout of another package. Basically the other package's table entries are copied and any entries not included in them are appended at the end. The other package's GUID is copied as well and its generation number is incremented. The resulting package file is allowed to be used in network games with any other generation of the same GUID.

Conforming is what Epic uses to make the different patch levels of a game compatible to each other.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
OK, a kind of delta from the previous version, accumulated in the latest version. I don't see any mention of potential consequences or gotchas, so I guess there are some.

Found this UDN Three article, but the UDN Two article is redwalled.
http://web.archive.org/web/20110609120700/http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PackagesAndNetworking.html

While this may be more elegant, I don't feel confident enough to use it based on the information I've found, so I assume I'll continue using the version numbering scheme; changing internal references like class'blav1.message' to class'blav2.message' etc.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The problem with conforming is: You must test actual compatibility yourself. The process of conforming only makes the packages compatible from the engine's point of view. But due to the way network games work, only a human can verify that the result actually works as intended when two different versions of the package are used.

Also note that if you conform to a package you didn't create, chances are others have the same idea. Two different versions of a package conformed to the same base version will not work on network games and the errors are anywhere from subtle to catastrophic. Personally I recommend you don't touch the UTComp package unless you recompile it under a different name. If you create a new package that uses the old package, you will be able to reuse the old config settings, if only to copy them to your new config section.

Last edited: