The Best UT3 Players

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
For all you players who talk bad about warfare players, I find it amusing. If you really think your a better player than those who play warfare, then join the match and prove it. Talk is all just that, talk. Come play, own, and outscore those warfare players and prove your better. Then you can talk all you want even though it's pretty much just anti UT3 community BS. The fact is that they would end up at the bottom of the leaderboards after the match which tells the true tale of the match.

You will not find me talking bad about other players because I am jealous of their ELO and rank.
Who said anything about warfare? I was talking about all UMG servers. And I wasn't talking bad about people, UMG is spammy, it's a fact, I played on the DM and TDM server a lot a few months ago and my rank is still in the top 80 even though I only pug now. It was 42 when I stopped playing on UMG dm/tdm. :c

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
When you say best players what exactly do you mean? Best DM players? Best warfare players? The best players may not all have the highest rank just due to how the ELO system works. The more hours you play, the more ELO points you can gather and the higher rank can be had vs if you do not play as much, your ELO may be static even if your at the upper part of the leaderboards each time you play. Then there is also the PUG players who rarely play PUBS that may not even play on stats enabled servers at all.

The best NA warfare players play on the UMG and T5K warfare servers. The best EU players play on the EU Midway servers, 1, 2, and 5 I believe. EU servers are busy starting about noon US East Coast time and continue until ~9pm or so.

For all you players who talk bad about warfare players, I find it amusing. If you really think your a better player than those who play warfare, then join the match and prove it. Talk is all just that, talk. Come play, own, and outscore those warfare players and prove your better. Then you can talk all you want even though it's pretty much just anti UT3 community BS. The fact is that they would end up at the bottom of the leaderboards after the match which tells the true tale of the match.

You will not find me talking bad about other players because I am jealous of their ELO and rank.

Who gives a crap? Not me. Each gametype requires a different skillset than the others. 1v1, DM, TDM, CTF, vehikles, even IG require different skillsets.

That being said, I'd be willing to bet that some of ctf/tdmer's could pick up warfare and be competitive much, much faster than a warfare player could ever hope to pick up tdm or ctf.

I do know that there are some of the CTF/TDM players of old have been playing warfare. I don't have ingame names, but from their postings over @ prounreal, its easy to pick up once you know how not to get "noobed"....

Realize that I am not trying to start anything by this, but be careful who you're calling out.

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
but be careful who you're calling out.

Or what? You'll take him down with a harshly worded reply?

InternetToughGuy-732335.jpg

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Careful guys. Don't turn this into a gametype flame war.

"Best Players" is a subjective term open to interpretation. Don't let your interpretation cause you to discredit the interpretation of someone else. It does nothing to promote your opinion and only makes you look stupid.

A_Phat_Old_Phuk

Viper Driver
Feb 4, 2009
Who gives a crap? Not me. Each gametype requires a different skillset than the others. 1v1, DM, TDM, CTF, vehikles, even IG require different skillsets.

That being said, I'd be willing to bet that some of ctf/tdmer's could pick up warfare and be competitive much, much faster than a warfare player could ever hope to pick up tdm or ctf.

I do know that there are some of the CTF/TDM players of old have been playing warfare. I don't have ingame names, but from their postings over @ prounreal, its easy to pick up once you know how not to get "noobed"....

Realize that I am not trying to start anything by this, but be careful who you're calling out.

Get real, most warfare players like me started off playing DM, TDM, and CTF and later went on to ONS and now warfare.

Warfare is very easy to pick up and uses all the skills of DM and CTF along with new ones. I think it would be great if all these players your referring to start joining the warfare servers and play. I think that's a great idea, everyone come on out and play.

Eff Yea baby, I am callin everyone out. Come and play on the warfare servers.

Quit your ballin, cause I am a callin you out baby!

Come play and lets see what happens.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Get real, most warfare players like me started off playing DM, TDM, and CTF and later went on to ONS and now warfare.

Warfare is very easy to pick up and uses all the skills of DM and CTF along with new ones. I think it would be great if all these players your referring to start joining the warfare servers and play. I think that's a great idea, everyone come on out and play.

Eff Yea baby, I am callin everyone out. Come and play on the warfare servers.

Quit your ballin, cause I am a callin you out baby!

Come play and lets see what happens.
You're really not helping your cause that much.

That said, I think I'm pretty good at the core gameplay and Warfare. I can hang with the folks on UMG.

Different strokes for different folks, pure and simple. For example, I think IG is utter crap; a mere one-dimensional gametype that's all about moving, aiming, and nothing else. I'm sure many would disagree with me.

Unlike some people however (T2A) I'm not going to stick my nose in every IG conversation I see and go "Who cares, IG sucks." Some people like it; more power to them. Some people don't, so they play what they like, and more power to them as well.

I do wish some people would look at Warfare as more than running people over and shooting them and killing them in one hit. Contrary to what some people believe, it IS possible to take even a Goliath or Darkwalker out singlehandedly if you do it smart. I know, I've done it.

They do use a lot of different tactics, and I think overall can make you a better player. The best players can just about do it all, and as long as I don't have to depend entirely on hitscan aim, I can hang with just about anyone. :)

Last edited:

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
gawd.... all hail the oldest and most feeble (yet somehow interminable) running argument in UT ever. :rolleyes:

The best players can just about do it all

Exactly.

UTOnslaughtGame extends UTTeamGame;
UTTeamGame extends UTDeathmatch;

Each game is an extension of another, just as are the skill sets required for each. Not surprisingly, players who choose to concentrate their skill development on game elements like shot accuracy and wall dodging will tend to gravitate toward DM/TDM, whereas players who focus more on tactical acuity and long-form strategy will gravitate toward Warfare.

A player who can dominate in Warfare with average DM skills won't be of much help to his team when he steps into a TDM match amongst top DM players. Likewise a top DM player who knows little about the subtleties of Warfare will be at best of limited use, and at worst an outright liability, to his team when he steps into a Warfare match amongst top Warfare players.

So don't bother listening to anyone trying to compare one skill set with another straight across, as every such argument is simply invalid on its face, and often as not indicative of some petty superiority complex besides. If you want to see the best players in DM, watch DM; for the best in TDM, watch TDM; for the best in Warfare, watch Warfare. It all depends on which type of skill you want to marvel at.

Really, it's that simple. :eek:

Last edited:

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Being able to pew-pew from vehakals is not the same as being good at the game's core gameplay. D:

...dunno but being able to fend someones vehicles 'pew-pew' is all the more :lol:
And that's the point. To get rid of someones tank that is spamming an area is much harder than sitting itself in it and do so. That separates the good skilled players from the poor ones. Make only some pew-pew with vehicles is not the best way to win a WAR match. :D

DM as an exclusive way to play the game is past in-between UT and UT3. In my opinion it's much harder to handle all the vehicles well, act with the team, explore and defend Nodes and manage some good dogfights in the meantime. Also much more interesting, isn't it?

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
...dunno but being able to fend someones vehicles 'pew-pew' is all the more :lol:
And that's the point. To get rid of someones tank that is spamming an area is much harder than sitting itself in it and do so. That separates the good skilled players from the poor ones. Make only some pew-pew with vehicles is not the best way to win a WAR match. :D

DM as an exclusive way to play the game is past in-between UT and UT3. In my opinion it's much harder to handle all the vehicles well, act with the team, explore and defend Nodes and manage some good dogfights in the meantime. Also much more interesting, isn't it?

While I agree that you can't and shouldn't label one gametype as 'better' than another, I see certain factors in TDM/duel mode that make them a lot more difficult to learn and excel at than warfare.
Up front, I must admit I am not much of a warfare player. I have played more than my fair share of tactical team games over the years, but warfare isn't really what I look for from a game like UT.

That said, winning or losing a warfare match depends mostly on the team's coordination. If the team coordinates well to carry out its objectives, they will succeed. The skill of individual players has much less of an impact on the outcome than in, say, 3v3 TDM.

When playing TDM, and in the most extreme case, duel, it is just your fragging skills and mindgames against your opponents'. Nothing else. No amount of convenient vehicle spawns or lucky positioning will save you if you miss the SB spawn. No amount of teamwork will save you if you lose track of the enemy.
You can't let down your guard, ever, or the enemy will relentlessly take advantage of it.

This very direct and unforgiving quality of 'regular' UT games is naturally less present in larger team-oriented games like Warfare. You can't keep track of ALL the opponents. You can't keep track of ALL the spawns. Completing objectives is based more on good timing and brute force (trial&error) than about outmaneuvering, outsmarting and outgunning.

I think it is this lack of backup from your teammates that makes the 'small' gametypes (TDM, 1on1) that much more challenging.

Sos_your_face

how you become manta?
Dec 8, 2008
S. Florida
www.clan-bge.com
Skills required to excel at DM:
Amazing aim
Prediction
Map knowledge
Timing powerups
Intuition
Mastery of foot movement

Skills required to excel at Warfare:
Amazing aim
Prediction
Map knowledge
Timing powerups
Intuition
Mastery of foot movement
Mastery of over a dozen different vehicles with different strengths, weaknesses, weapons and movement

And several categories there are more complicated in Warfare than traditional DM, like map knowledge. Maps are bigger and there's more to learn about them. Intuition and prediction is no longer just about where your opponent will go, now it requires you predict the behaviors and actions of a dozen people with access to a dozen vehicles, all the while keeping an eye on the minimap and the orb so you know which way the balance will swing. Now keep track of a countdown node that will damage your core and a node that will spawn a 6000 health Levi if you don't take it down. You also have to worry about OT, because that completely changes scoring and can effect who wins a match. There are different damage multipliers that effect how much damage will be done to the core depending on the clock. The list goes on.

So I have to disagree with this statement:
"I see certain factors in TDM/duel mode that make them a lot more difficult to learn and excel at than warfare."

Yes, it's easier to look good at Warfare. You can whore a single vehicle or run orbs to get a really high score. You get 60 points total for destroying the core. So yes, you don't have to truly be excellent at Warfare to really benefit the team, get a high score and impress people who are watching. However, the truly good Warfare players use every one of the dozen vehicles with skill, have mastered the tactics and strategy of managing a 12 man team, and also have good DM skills.

I don't care which gametype is "better" or more pro or 1337. I have fun playing them all and I like to try and be good at them all. Just have fun people and stop trying to bring down others, who in all likelyhood play your gametype too. The community is small enough.

dizzm

Oct 21, 2008
gamersportal.com
but if your team still doesn't win then it doesn't matter how good you are at the 'core gameplay'. ;)

Pub's don't really matter in the first place ;)

If you're team loses that doesn't neccessarily mean it's your fault and that logic is useless. DM or Duel will show pure individual skill, team-based gametypes in pubs looking at who won isn't neccessarily going to tell you who the better player is. Looking at how many points they attain all around and how consistently they lead their team to victory is what matters.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.