[UT2004] The return of the Sniper Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Epic have bought the Sniper Rifle back to UT2004?

• Yes

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
i usually use the zoom to kill camping people because the zoom is pretty fast

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Depends on the map, but...

I play by that rule in CTF, only because I know that if others don't, I usually only fail the first offensive manuver. Not to mention you have better eyes defensively if you don't camp too heavily.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Agreed. I just hate the term camping when it applies to CTF because, truthfully, if that was a strategy that you wanted to employ it should be perfectly fine. It has such a negative meaning to some.

But like you, I prefer to move around because you can NEVER get a feel for the flow of the game by sitting in one spot. You can rarely see all the entrances, and even if you can, you most likely won't see the attacker until he/she has entered the flag room.

I like to be able to track an attackers movement from a ways off. That gives me an advantage that I dearly need. ;)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
re : covering multiple entrances ...
*eh* but isn't that what teammates are for ?
Or is this just the result of the fact that no one ever bothers to defend the flag/goal in on-line 'public' games ?

As for the 'grid' in the LtG-zoom : I find it more useful as it makes it easier to ignore anything that isn't a target ...

I guess it's also because I'm kind of used to zoom-effects that are mere circles. Like the sniperrifles in TTR and the ACOG-addon in Infiltration 2.86.

As for the 'return' of the sniperrifle : I hope it can fill a niche like the LtG does. And I really really hope it'll prove to be next to useless as anything other then a 'true' sniperrifle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's a good point. I hope that the sniper rifle isn't like the LtG where you just hop around and pop people's heads off easy as pie...otherwise we might as well go back to Face on ut99...

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A_Rimmerlister said:
re : covering multiple entrances ...
*eh* but isn't that what teammates are for ?
Or is this just the result of the fact that no one ever bothers to defend the flag/goal in on-line 'public' games ?

yes

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Screenies.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 30

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
just what i was afraid of...it doesn't fit the theme of the game at all.

At least it appears you have no crosshair on the unzoomed view...

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Yeah, they could at least have made it along the lines of the U2 rifle; that one looks like a super-high-tech sniper gun of the future. The one in the screens there looks like a 'nowadays' sniper rifle :(

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Yeah but none of the other weapons did either. UT2003 is set after UT and the weapons have a more futuristic feel.....futuristic isn't the right word- I mean they have a more 'manufactured' for the Tournament look about them, unlike UT where the weapons looked like ex-army stock that had been commisioned for use in the Tournament. And that new sniper rifle really looks out of place already, even before seeing it with the other weapons.

But then......a couple of the other weapons have been changed as well, like the Shock, and that looks more army-esque as well. Guess they're trying to take it back to the UT feel again, rather than the sporty theme we've currently got. Especially when you look at the soldier guys and gals we've seen pics of.

Wish Epic would make up their mind.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Ok...so...the fact that a weapon looks futuristic or anything like that is completely beside the fact. It's about gameplay! Nothing else matters.

They're only going to have this thing in the assault maps if I understand correctly. As long as they keep it out of the gametypes I want to play (CTF) then I'm happy.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Lol, I see numerous people have been traumatised by playing CTF-Face ;) .

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm still gonna make an onslaught/assault mutator that replaces all Sniper Rifles with the Lightning Gun.... I won't take to the Sniper very well, i can tell already.