Beppos zoom-while-aiming mutator

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
No Idea how to position the cliping plane to still having a correct model ? Could you make a mutator to try to find the closer position we can get without bad visual rendering ?

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
FieldMedic said:
Bad , bad unreal engine ...
If only it was possible to zoom the weapon without zooming the other thing on the view..
You can. Increase it's drawscale. It won't clip either, but you'll screw up all the attachments and probably a few animations. It will look out of proportion in some cases too.

The problem is, I don't think many of you realize what you are asking for. A 'closer' FAMAS is not going to help for CQB until you've stuck the camera well INSIDE it's sight. Making it closer will only increase it's obscured range.
There are forces of perspective and visualization at play here that noone is taking into account. A real FAMAS is something you can hold in your hands, and shift slightly to reveal things. You can open both eyes and survey around this object, and you have a significantly larger FOV.

An in-game FAMAS is a sturdy block in your ONLY camera and means of surveying the world. You are far better off experimenting with transparency schemes (although you can tell by the attached image that ours aren't made with that in mind) than trying the unproductive shortcut way of 'making it closer'.

Attachments

• famassmall.gif
    famassmall.gif
    135.1 KB · Views: 45

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
another way is to move its drawoffset back on the X-axis of course. this would only 'zoom' the weapon in and not the rest of the world.
btw... the drawscale of some of our weapons is really small already to get as close to the clipping plane as possible...

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Beppo said:
another way is to move its drawoffset back on the X-axis of course. this would only 'zoom' the weapon in and not the rest of the world.
btw... the drawscale of some of our weapons is really small already to get as close to the clipping plane as possible...
I seem to remember the opposite (making it far larger, at game execution time) would allow for more 'detail' at a greater distance. Messes things like mag location up pretty well, though.

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Just want to say again, I really like the new three position aiming system,
1. Hipped
2. Shouldered
3. Sharpshooter zoom with breath control

Hope a new version with multiple shots while zoomed will be available soon :)

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Silver_Ibex said:
Just want to say again, I really like the new three position aiming system,
1. Hipped
2. Shouldered
3. Sharpshooter zoom with breath control

Hope a new version with multiple shots while zoomed will be available soon :)
Sorry, but zooming is unrealistic, while having your eye close is. I think we can have such zoom for a binocular model (which would be useful to identify targets)

Last edited:

Beppo

Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
This one is working on- and offline fully now (was even not working properly if you picked up a weapon from a dead bot for example).

The AimView is now working like the breathing... you can control it only while aimed, not moving, not leaning (besides leaning while prone) and holding your altfire button/key. Firing still turns the view 'off' to not allow some sort of ACOG zoom effect (a 'full zoomed on auto' was this called before I guess).

Beppo

Attachments

• AimView.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 36

jayhova

Don't hate me because I'm pretty
Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
Is it possible to make it so that if you continue to hold down the button the view will rezoom after you fire after a few seconds? It's a pain to have to keep letting off and reclick.

Also is it possible to set the zoom so that it centers on your weapon not the center of the screen?

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
DarkBls said:
Sorry, but zooming is unrealistic, while having your eye close is. I think we can have such zoom for a binocular model (which would be useful to identify targets)

Using a mouse to aim a weapon is unrealistic, yet games must work around available equipment and hardware, making the sights easier to see is a good thing, especially for those with small monitors or low res :)

For those worried about players aiming their weapons making the game un-fun, I am surprised, since all the weapons including pistols would have the same abilities, unlike with the ACOG that only fits on some auto rifles.
Since it is also in mutator form, it would not effect regular play, and if players wanted to stop and hunker down to aim and become sitting ducks, that should be up to them.

Beppo, please make the firing turning off zoom an adjustable option, I really would prefer not having a simulated flinch effect :D

Last edited:

Turin_Turambar

Pls don´t shoot to the Asha´man
Oct 9, 2002
Visit site
I like the general idea of this mutator. I don't believe is something unrealistic. The sight sytem from humans is complex, we have to remember that the eyes don´t see anything, is the brain who is concentrating in a particular zone of the sight. The zoom is imitating it.

In fact, i think that is a good feature for the next Inf 3.0. :D

jayhova

Don't hate me because I'm pretty
Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
After playing with this mutator a bit I have come to the conclusion that the zoom should latch. That is to say that once zoomed it should stay zoomed until you move or lean etc. As I said earlier it would be nice to center the zoom so that the sights are in the center of the screen. I also think that the free aim area should be reduced to reflect the fact that you have locked the weapon in a tighter grip i.e. you are resting your cheek on the stock and holding the weapon tightly against you shoulder.

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
I find this mutator to be more annoying tan useful, because it pops out of zoom as soon
as you fire a single shot. Perhaps you could have a seperate command control the zoom
that checks if the weapon is aimed, and then zooms. Enter the command (or the bound
key) again and it zooms out. If you unaim, jog, etc, it unzooms.

Beppo

Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
Newest version attached.

It now stays in 'zoom mode' as long as you are not moving around or being hurt, reload, aso aso. So it stays in zoom while firing now.
The little bugs with the weapon not showing while checking the scoreboard, the serverinfo or the weapon clipping into the mainmenu aso have been fixed too.

Attachments

• AimView.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 36

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
weeee
got it like 20 seconds after u post hehe.
*edit* [ beh.. its 12 minutes. ]

anyway gj beppo

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Great job , i like this mutator
Thanks for coding it
icon14.gif

LongJohn

FOOL of Duty
Mar 13, 2001
/dev/null
www.f-o-o-l.de
Very nice :)

At first I really was no friend of the idea at all. But this implementation seems useful and not too powerful to me. It's well balanced IMO :)

BTW - Is there any minor (but official) update planned, where some of the new mutators could be integrated as new (optional) features (e.g. GameSwitcher, SilentCapture, AimView)?

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
LongJohn said:
BTW - Is there any minor (but official) update planned, where some of the new mutators could be integrated as new (optional) features (e.g. GameSwitcher, SilentCapture, AimView)?
Why bother? Just run the mutators, while the SS starts work on INF3.0, after a short period of rest, of coarse.