Should illegal immigrants get free college?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should they get free college?

• Yes (unconditional), on the grounds that they need education to get out of poverty.

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Yes, if they meet high school education requirements (eg. a 2.0 GPA etc.)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • No, they should pay for it themselves.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • No, other reasons (post below)

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Sir_Brizz said:
Well, I know Spanish....and Russian. What's your excuse for not learning Russian? Why don't we just make Japanese the "official language" if that's how people feel.

If there's one thing America needs less than to close its borders to immigrants, it's more people saying the word 'kawaii' without fear of severe beating.

;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Undoubtedly :p

My problem is not that I don't understand them, but the other 75% of America doesn't. If I go to Mexico, I epect to speak Spanish to those people, ,not walk around yakkin in English and they all to understand me. They should expect the same priveledge here. If they speak Spanish, then no-one is going to understand them.

The problem is the legislation, especially in Utah, that makes almost all legal documents be printed in both English and Spanish. Many work notices, signs, and stuff like that are printed in English and Spanish, which is anoying as h3ll. You don't go to Mexico and expect to see English signs, work notices, and legal forms printed in English. Why do we let them expect that here?

kerilk

Feb 13, 2001
Visit site
My country of origin is irrelevant to the the debate but know it is not mexico, so I have no interest in defending this country, or spannish speaking country altogether.
I still maintain what I said. Yesterday they were asian, today they are south american, tomorow where will they come from? And at that time america won't remember that they had so much problem with spanish speaking people. And the situation is exactly the same in europe.
Every state try to limitate the phenomenon but it is like fighting wind. And as it will happen I believe it is more intelligent to try to make the best out of the situation. And teatching children to speak english should please some of you. Making them usefull citizen is smart.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't care what language they speak or where they come from.

If they come the legal way, that is fine. But don't expect us to accomodate you, even though our governemtn forces us to. Learn our language, put your children through our school, be a CITIZEN. If not, then you're not worthwhile enough to provide for.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Sir_Brizz said:
Undoubtedly :p

My problem is not that I don't understand them, but the other 75% of America doesn't. If I go to Mexico, I epect to speak Spanish to those people, ,not walk around yakkin in English and they all to understand me. They should expect the same priveledge here. If they speak Spanish, then no-one is going to understand them.

The problem is the legislation, especially in Utah, that makes almost all legal documents be printed in both English and Spanish. Many work notices, signs, and stuff like that are printed in English and Spanish, which is anoying as h3ll. You don't go to Mexico and expect to see English signs, work notices, and legal forms printed in English. Why do we let them expect that here?

I disagree. I take it you havn't traveled anywhere else in the world. Just about every where I have been they have english on signs under then native language. Even in Japan they had English on all the signs. I think you are being retarded. It's not like Spanish is that hard anyway.:rolleyes:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
BillyBadAss said:
I disagree. I take it you havn't traveled anywhere else in the world. Just about every where I have been they have english on signs under then native language. Even in Japan they had English on all the signs. I think you are being retarded. It's not like Spanish is that hard anyway.:rolleyes:

That is hardly the point...

Like I said, I know spanish so I don't care really about having to learn it. My point is that every person in Mexico is not expected to know English at all. If I travel there I have to FIND someone that speaks English if I can't understand them. Here, a Mexican will look at you like you are retarded if you don't understand every single word they say, Spanish or English.

We accomodate too much. Nearly every business in America has a spanish speaking division to cater to the spanish speakers. Why not make them learn English? If I MOVED to Germany, France, Denmark, Poland, Romania, Russia, Mexico, Brazil, etc, etc, etc, etc I wouldn't expect them to cater to me just because I'm a native English speaker. I would learn their language. If not for my own good, at least out of courtesy to them. It's unfair to expect an entire country to learn more languages than the majority of the population speaks. Why should we?

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Sir_Brizz said:
That is hardly the point...

Like I said, I know spanish so I don't care really about having to learn it. My point is that every person in Mexico is not expected to know English at all. If I travel there I have to FIND someone that speaks English if I can't understand them. Here, a Mexican will look at you like you are retarded if you don't understand every single word they say, Spanish or English.

We accomodate too much. Nearly every business in America has a spanish speaking division to cater to the spanish speakers. Why not make them learn English? If I MOVED to Germany, France, Denmark, Poland, Romania, Russia, Mexico, Brazil, etc, etc, etc, etc I wouldn't expect them to cater to me just because I'm a native English speaker. I would learn their language. If not for my own good, at least out of courtesy to them. It's unfair to expect an entire country to learn more languages than the majority of the population speaks. Why should we?

I think it is funny that you base all Mexicans are your few bad experiences.:rolleyes: I never seem to have problems with spanish people. I don't see why you are. Maybe you should just except that the USA is a country of many different kinds of people, languages, and cultures.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Ummm it's not just Mexicans. It's pretty much any spanish person.

It also happens with other people that speak other languages but rarely. It's because everything has Spanish on it, so Spanish-speaking people think that Americans are supposed to know Spanish.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Sir_Brizz said:
Ummm it's not just Mexicans. It's pretty much any spanish person.

It also happens with other people that speak other languages but rarely. It's because everything has Spanish on it, so Spanish-speaking people think that Americans are supposed to know Spanish.

I don't buy that.:rolleyes: I havn't had that problem ever, and there are plenty spanish speaking people around here.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Sir_Brizz said:
okay....well that's how it is in Utah and Iowa and California...

I think maybe it is just you. I'm around foreign people from all over the world, all the time, and never have the problems you are talking about. I think it has to do with the way you present yourself.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
I don't think illegal immigrants should have rights to taxpayers' money and educational benefits.

As a side note, I think we should create a new state right next to Isreal and populate it with all the illegal immigrants from Mexico, just to stir things up a bit :)

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Rodzilla said:
I never understood the whole "looking out for illegal immigrans" thing. It's all a load of bull****, and it's rather simple why....look at 50% of the phrase: illegal. That means they have NO RIGHTS. Period. So free college? Yea, right. They should be lucky to still be in the country.
Get free college? Hell, I don't really think they should be admitted.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
about the spanish thing, I really don't care less what language they speak. but if they want something, and they don't know english, and whoever they want it from doesn't speak spanish, tough ****ing luck. some hospitals are having a major problem right now because tons of idiots go in there and expect them to know exotic languages that they couldn't hope to know. in florida, you can't get directions without knowing spanish.

Legal immigrants, welcome to the country. illegal immigrants, **** off. free college? why is it even considered?

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
bobtheking said:
about the spanish thing, I really don't care less what language they speak. but if they want something, and they don't know english, and whoever they want it from doesn't speak spanish, tough ****ing luck. some hospitals are having a major problem right now because tons of idiots go in there and expect them to know exotic languages that they couldn't hope to know. in florida, you can't get directions without knowing spanish.

Legal immigrants, welcome to the country. illegal immigrants, **** off. free college? why is it even considered?

Because Davis is that big of a moron, he sees it a good thing to give ILLEGAL immigrants free college and drivers liscenses.

If it was up to me, I'd also make it a law that illegal immigrants who have babies in the US, their kids aren't citizens if their parents aren't legal.

Witty

I hear only yes.
Aug 6, 2001
Provo... somewhere in Utah.
Visit site
Good call, I like that one. Let's just hope that when Schwarzenegger gets elected (as it looks like he will) he has the guts to change stuff like that.

As for the problem with Spanish speaking people, I think that BBA and S_B are thinking about different things. What it looks like (not certain about this, and no offense meant) is that BBA is saying that problems with Spanish speakers are things like gangs or drugs (not accomodating problems... I know this is probably not what you are thinking about, but I'm using it as an example) and S-B's definition of the problems is like with them speaking spanish and most everyone else speaking english, and having a problem communicating.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but from the last few posts it looks that way. :)