Should illegal immigrants get free college?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should they get free college?

• Yes (unconditional), on the grounds that they need education to get out of poverty.

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Yes, if they meet high school education requirements (eg. a 2.0 GPA etc.)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • No, they should pay for it themselves.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • No, other reasons (post below)

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
usaar33 said:
Last time I checked, racial quotas were illegal.
(At least in the United States. And definitely at public schools)

While in theory this might be true, in practice it's definitely not. If a school doesn't have a certain percentage of "diversity", meaning a certain percentage of people not white, they are forced to turn away all applicants until the ratio goes back up. It doesn't have to do with quotas, it has to do with discrimination (which is more rampant against middle class white males than any other social class, but that's another argument altogether).

I full-heartedly disagree with anyone in our country getting anything that another citizen can get. Notice I say CITIZEN not illegal immigrant. If you cannot even get citizenship in our country, you don't deserve the benefits of being a citizen. Plain and simple. ALL citizens should be equal, and it definitely is not so. It won't be until black people AND white people realize that they are discriminating too heavily expecially wehre none is needed.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
BillyBadAss said:
Please don't tell me how rough you Germans have it. I think 6 weeks vacation isbetter than what most of the world gets.:rolleyes: I think it is great to help out the rest of the world with my hard earned money, but as a tax payer, I would like to see Americans that can't afford an education go for free first.

where the hell did i say we had it hard? *rereads his post* nope, i didn't say anything like this. i just sayd how ****ed up this country is as an example for why i don't care if some of my taxes would go to something i can actually support.

your country spends allmost 400billion dollar per year for it's military, thats allmost three times the GDP of poland. yet you seem to think you country can't afford free edducation. if only the ppl who can afford it get education you'll end up with some realy, realy big problems.

Last edited:

Fluid

Zen fascists will control you
Aug 2, 2000
Maastricht, the Netherlands
Hell, the US's budget organization looks like my Civilization strategy. And that's not a good thing. :p

"Oh no! The yellow guy's troops are near my city!" *proceeds to press the Buy button for tanks for the next 10 turns*

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
fist_mlrs said:
where the hell did i say we had it hard? *rereads his post* nope, i didn't say anything like this. i just sayd how ****ed up this country is as an example for why i don't care if some of my taxes would go to something i can actually support.

your country spends allmost 400billion dollar per year for it's military, thats allmost three times the GDP of poland. yet you seem to think you country can't afford free edducation. if only the ppl who can afford it get education you'll end up with some realy, realy big problems.
I just wanted to reply to his post (I'd have missed my train if had done so in my last post) and saw you already did. Oh well, what's left... hmm. Well, he got his facts wrong. 6 weeks (30 days) is far from beeing standard. Minimum by law is 24 days.

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Although I guess this varys a lot for each country (or even state) VAT = tax so if you have VAT where you life you are paying taxes no matter if you are an illegal immigrant or not.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
fist_mlrs said:

You didn't say hard, but you implied it. Maybe that doesn't exist in the German Language, but it does in English.

I would like you to explain why it is our countries duty to educate the world with the cost coming out of the American Tax payer's pocket. I don't agree with the fact that we try to police the world, and sure don't see why we should have to educate the world for free.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
it isn't your countrys duty to educate the world but the ppl who live in said country. either you kick them out or you make shure their children become vallueable citizens, there is no place for any solutions but these two.

Fluid

Zen fascists will control you
Aug 2, 2000
Maastricht, the Netherlands
On the matter of educating foreigners, I think it's still important to integrate them into society as useful citizens instead of unemployed bums. In the long run, it might even save money if you successfully assimilate these people.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
fist_mlrs said:
it isn't your countrys duty to educate the world but the ppl who live in said country. either you kick them out or you make shure their children become vallueable citizens, there is no place for any solutions but these two.

We are kicking them out, but I don't think you understand how many of them are coming over our boarders. I don't care that they are here, but I don't feel I owe them anything from our tax money.

kerilk

Feb 13, 2001
Visit site
I'm gonna get flamed on this, but how many of the american people on the forum have illegal immigrants in theyr ancestors? Where would some people here be today if they did'nt have access to education? And who would deny being usefull to the state today?
America have always been a safe heaven, taking talent from everywhere and putting them to good use. That's its strenght.
Educating people is profitable for a state. the more educated people, the richer it becomes.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
I'm also thinking about the guys that got plane-flying lessons and then flew into the WTC's & Pentagon a couple years back...
Actualy, many of them had valid student Visas

It is really a tough call (and it is going to sound odd comming from a hardnose like myself)
There is the Fair option...Go through the Visa process and be here legaly to benifit from education and healthcare like every one else

There is the Just option...Alter the system so that those illegal imagrents with the greatest need get a valid Visa and the help they require

and the Humane option... Apply resources and Aid to the economy and infrastructure of the immagrant's nation of origin so that they wont be so desperate to come across the boarder to feed their familys.

The illegal immagrents are not sinister job-snipers who come over to steal our helthcare and labor work out of American pockets. Many of them are poor people who have come over (Often leaving their family behind) So that they can support those they love. Many of them live in crowded apartments sending most of the money own back to their family.

To deal with the problem within America, I feel that the boarders need to be closed and guarded for a relativly short period of time. Durring that time, a form of amnesty needs to be offered to those within the country. Those who are simple workers or benifits to the society (Those without violent criminal backgrounds or ties to Terrorist organisations) will be granted conditional Visas on the understanding that they will work toward full Visas or, if they desire, citizenship. They should also be taught a little about the way our laws and government works (Kind of a survey version of the full citizenship course)
Once the internal mess is cleaned up, we reopen the boarders and enforce the imigration laws already in place (Laws that are largely not enforced at present)

By this time we will hopefully be finished cleaning up the unfortunate mess in Iraq, so the money will be available to really lend a hand to Middle and South American nations who want to genuinely improve their economies and the standards of living for their people.
We need to start somewhere, If we want to build a global community that works together, this may be a good place to start.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
kerilk said:
I'm gonna get flamed on this, but how many of the american people on the forum have illegal immigrants in theyr ancestors? Where would some people here be today if they did'nt have access to education? And who would deny being usefull to the state today?
America have always been a safe heaven, taking talent from everywhere and putting them to good use. That's its strenght.
Educating people is profitable for a state. the more educated people, the richer it becomes.

Times have changed. I doubt that my ancestors were coming here to go to college for free. They came here because Europe was having problems at the time, so they wanted to become American, and at that time we were excepting everyone because we could afford to. On the other side of my family, I am Native American, so they have always been here.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I think I'll take a break from the "original" facetious comment of "we oughta just shoot all dem Mexeekins"

The only thing illegal immigrants should get for free is a ride back home. Citizens pay taxes from their income to fund government programs which in this instance would not give them any return on their investment.

There is a rather elegant solution to multiple problems here tho. If we moved to a national sales tax, there would a). be a more fair taxing system since it's based on what we spend and not what we earn, b). you populists could still milk the rich by collecting on the yachts and Lamborghinis they buy, c). we would collect tax money from the illegals, which would at least give them a leg to stand on when talking about issues like education and driver's licenses and such.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
\/\/0RF said:
There is a rather elegant solution to multiple problems here tho. If we moved to a national sales tax, there would a). be a more fair taxing system since it's based on what we spend and not what we earn, b). you populists could still milk the rich by collecting on the yachts and Lamborghinis they buy,

The rich spend less as a proportion of their income than the poor, so sales taxes hurt the poor most whichever way you look at it. 'Populism' is one thing, blatantly regressive taxes is another.

c). we would collect tax money from the illegals, which would at least give them a leg to stand on when talking about issues like education and driver's licenses and such.

Can't argue with that, but it isn't worth it.

The whole 'they don't pay taxes, so they shouldn't get anything' sounds extremely shaky to me. I mean, the registered unemployed don't pay any taxes that illegal immigrants don't either that I can think of, but illegal immigrants do at least work for their society, and they work a hell of a lot harder than the average American cosseted by workers' rights and regulation and job-saving government bail-outs, not to mention the minimum wage and maximum working week in other Western countries.