Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - 8/10

Greatness. Downey actually plays a likable character and the humor and narration throughout this movie is f*cking hysterical. Definitely gonna be watching this one again.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Insurgentes-No Rating/10

This is a documentary on the musician Steven Wilson who is the main man behind Porcupine Tree, Bass Communion, I.E.M. to name but a few projects. He has become a pretty huge prog metal star over the past five or so years although he has been around a lot longer.

There is no point in rating this as anyone who is a fan of this guy's music will want to watch it and it really is not the type of documentary to interest an audience any wider than that.

As a fan of the guy's work I watched it and it was o.k. but I don't know if I would bother watching it again. I really bought the DVD for the extras.

At least you get to see him destroy a number of iPod's using different tools; including a shotgun. This guy really hates iPod's.......... :D

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Skyline: minus infinity/10

Tl;dr version = HORRIBAD AVOID AT ALL COSTS. RUN, RUUUUUUUN.
Bad acting with actors being serious about their acting, no real narrative or story to speak of beyond the obvious unexplained sudden invasion. This is Starship Troopers with the parts that made that movie bearable and awesome replaced by really terrible parts. This thing feels like a showcase for a VFX studio (which I read somewhere it actually is). The best scene in the entire movie goes to the guy who plays Batista in Dexter.
Specifics in the spoiler:

Batista standing in the kitchen with the gas on and the lighter ready to take the enemy out along with himself and the lighter won't spark a flame when he needs it had the audience laughing hard.
After the mothership thing gets nuked (and shrugs it off), main dude goes and fights a smaller creature HAND TO HAND AND WINS.
Then tragic scene what everyone thought was the end of the people getting sucked into the mothership, but then another 5-10 minutes of movie where the floors of the mothership are clearly visibly made of garbage bags, and the worst movie ending I've seen in ages unfolds in front of our eyes when the main dude's brain gets taken and implanted into an alien, and then the brain conquers the alien body to get into a bad-ass pose protecting his girlfriend with a camera zooming out showing other aliens approaching their location, cut to credits.

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Descent 2 - 6/10

I watched the first one a couple of months ago and thought it was OK, so I decided to take a peek at the sequel on Sunday.

Plot-wise, it's kinda stupid after the women who escapes the cave , re-surfaces half dead and traumatised - ergo, after 45 seconds of recuperation in hospital, they send her back down the same cave obviously in need of months worth of psycho-therapy and analysis.
You have a bumbling rescue team + token maverick cop hell bent on getting to the bottom of the mystery - unfortunately, the distraught women has conveniently lost all her memory so everyone hasn't got a clue why she appeared half dead and all her friends are missing without a trace.
That's the synopsis basically.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I did not go to the cinema (since I read some of the reviews) and so the VFX didn't do anything to help.
In short:

Skyline: It's-been-done-before-but-better/10

Watch Independence Day, War of the Worlds and District 9 and you'll have pretty much Skyline split in between those three.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
The trailer tells you all you need to know. Lots of digital crap shoved into your face, no story, wooden acting and a lame ending.
Why can't there be a more original movie in the works for this genre? Avoiding all these terrible clichés. ..as if.

Oh and Descent 2. That was horrible. The Descent is a very nice movie in its genre. Especially with the extended ending.
The Descent 2 tries recreating the whole feel of the first movie, but abruptly/miserably fails. Whereas the first movie really feels tense and you share the claustrophobia of the main characters, this time around you simply feel disconnected. With every single character. So what if they die? Why should you care? And that's such a shame. The ending was really stupid and predictable. :/

Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I did not go to the cinema (since I read some of the reviews) and so the VFX didn't do anything to help.
In short:

Skyline: It's-been-done-before-but-better/10

Watch Independence Day, War of the Worlds and District 9 and you'll have pretty much Skyline split in between those three.

Sure, but the VFX is just part of it. Independence Day knew it wasn't super serious, War of the Worlds has the acting talent behind it and District 9 at least has the directing talent.
Literally everything is terrible in this movie, from the script to the acting to the directing. Nonsensical dialog, 2d characters, arguments between characters that make no sense and have no real context, wildly unreal scenes, bizarre and unneeded slow motion scenes and aside from one actor (Batista from Dexter) who seemed to understand that it wasn't a serious film (and showed that in his actions and scenes and dialog) all of the actors looked like they were taking their roles way too serious while also being unable to act.
My point here is that this is not even remotely close to It's-been-done-before-but-better/10, it's that bad.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com

Tl;dr version = HORRIBAD AVOID AT ALL COSTS. RUN, RUUUUUUUN.
As expected. :p

Nightmare on Elm Street 2010.... 2/10

I usually enjoy low budget mindless slasher/horror flicks. But this was terrible. None of the actors could act and always looked tired and bored, not terrified (I know, it's the premise of the story, they can't sleep), which in turn made me want to fall asleep watching them. That, in combination with the dreary tone and soundtrack, made it difficult to watch in one sitting. So i didn't. I watched the second half the following night. The second half was better.. marginally.

The backstory of Freddy being a paedo version of the grounds-keeper from The Simpsons was annoying. They only needed to mention it once, people can figure out the rest. But no, they dragged it out and kept going back to it throughout the movie. His rubber burned-face mask looked a lot like a rubber mask every time he was on screen and the CGI wasn't much to look at either..

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Fish Tank. Everyone has heard about it by now, but let me recap: this movie tells the story of kids who never got around to be kids, who were always being knocked down by life and when down, got kicked further. The main character, looking for a father figure, ends up not only disappointed once again, but also taken advantage of. It's well told and directed, well-acted and involving, yet... it's missing an original twist ("Looking For Eric" did that well) and the symbolism felt overdone more than once. 7/10

The Talented Mr. Ripley. Compared to the novel, the beginning is terribly rushed and riddled with some of the blandest exposition I've seen in a while. When the film strays from the original, it does it in a bad way, and it tends to happen in some of the most important parts. It seems to be a teenage movie at points, the depths of the characters missing and the dialogues plain retarded. There's three saving graces though: Cate Blanchett, Philipp Seymour Hoffman and Jack Davenport. 4/10

Arthur. Well, some of the drunk humour is funny. Especially the lines written for the sarcastic butler Hobson had me giggling. That said, there is nothing else to the movie worth mentioning. 6/10

New York, I Love You. For the most part too pretentious. Brett Rattner's episode is lovely, funny and perfected by Simon & Garfunkel closing it; the Joshua Marston one very cute; Yvan Attal's short(s) had two well-done twists; but a few of the episodes are simply trying way too hard and make this a bit of a disappointment. The cinematography makes up for some of the shortcomings of the plots though. 6/10

Gordos. A view into why people have eating disorders. To cut things short: it's because of other people and the only way out, either by changing or accepting things as they are, is by yourself. The ending was too sappy for my taste, and the whole second half lacked the humour that was the movie's main strength in the beginning. 6/10

Dead Snow - 5/10

My first impression when my buddy brought this over on our group movie night was, "Oh yeah! Nazi Zombies!" On that note and gore, the film is harmless fun. With Nazi Zombies. In detail, that's really all it is.

It used to be that in horror movies where the main cast gets systematically killed one after the other until that one survivor is left standing, they would give us a stock cast of cardboard to forge our would be victims. Then the 90s started this whole self-aware cast of victims that could tell you all the serial killer rules and all the ways to kill a zombie. This is probably because all the film makers that make new-slasher horror movies were teenagers when teenagers were getting killed in these movies and now they want to make the same films, with only themselves in the role of the fodder.

Dead Snow just...well, I guess I wanted more from a Zombie movie set in an icy setting. The nerdiest characters in the movie make side comments about Evil Dead 2 and Braindead...and then what happens? All the best scenes end up being homages to those two films. They even rip off a little from The Descent.There are some funny scenes in there, but they don't carry the movie and I think I'd rather just watch Braindead or Evil Dead 2. I guess I felt that this zombie comedy tried so hard to reference all the other films it wants to be like that there was very little left to stand on its own legs.

The biggest disappointment was that the Nazi Zombies just fail to deliver. It's hilarious the first time you see one of them on screen, and they are a little more adept than the casual runner-type (when they need to be). But that's all there is.

Last edited:

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
Despicable Me - 8/10
I wasn't expecting much from this tbh, but there were a whole load of laugh out loud moments in there and the story burbles along quite nicely.

A film where I don't think the trailers did it justice.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The Simpsons Movie 7/10

Amusingly satirical outing for the long-running cartoon, plenty of belly laughs and manages to work at feature film length.

War 6/10

Finally started to watch the box set of Jason Statham films that I received for my birthday.

First up is War.

For the first 15 minutes or so I had severe doubts, fast, jerky sequences with a freeze frame at the end (and later) bare knuckle cage fighting and Jason Statham made me think that I'd wandered into a Guy Ritchie film. Treating the audience like idiots didn't help either. Having been shown the baddie's signature trace twice in the first 15 minutes did we really need a third flashback to remind us when the trace was found 5 minutes later at a different crime scene?

Fortunately, things settled down after that. The action was decent and the ending not completely the easy choice. Jet Li reprised his character from Lethal Weapon 4 but at a lower wattage, JS was fine.

Entertaining and noticeably above the run of the mill without being a great.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC.
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford 10/10

Watched it for the second time, and I'd still be giving it a 10 out of 10 every time.

It's a shame such a great movie hadn't been so popular. Probably the best movie in the last 5 years.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Skyline - 3/10

It's true, this is a white elephant movie on a monumental scale.
Basically a cash in on what's already been made in this genre and it shows.
Ridiculous story line, atrocious acting with middle of the road CGI to back it up.
I felt dirty and cheap watching this movie so god knows how you feel if you went out and paid to see this crock of ****.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Akira Kurosawa's Ran - 10/10
It's King Lear in feudal Japan. My only complaint is that in the larger battle scenes, some of the footage feel like stock, but I don't think this is really the case. Kurosawa filmed scenes with multiple cameras at multiple angles, so a single action may be seen more than once in the course of a battle, but never at the exact same footage. It's quite a petty complaint.

It's an incredible movie, and it's well worth the two hours and forty minutes it takes to watch it.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
The Town - 9/10

Ben Affleck's best work so far (acting and directing). Great performances from Rebecca Hall and Jeremy Renner also. The script is rock solid, the story feels quite realistic and the soundtrack is good. If I have to complain about something; the trailer for the movie gave the feeling that it was going to have a lot more action than it actually did, which might have dissappointed me tiny a bit.

Personally I would say this is the second best movie of the year (out of the ones I've seen of course), I have yet to see The Social Network, Black Swan, 127 Hours.

(top 5 so far, 1. Inception, 2. The Town, 3. Shutter Island, 4. Kick-ass, 5. Toy Story 3.)