Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
When you ski down a hill at 300km/h, you shouldn't be picking up speed, you should be losing speed.

You can only accelerate to a point when skiing. If you're going faster than that terminal velocity, you will decelerate.

The jetpacks are terrible because of how weak they are. If you are standing still, they work fine, but if you fall off a ledge, you have to use 100% of your jetpack to get back on that ledge, which is extremely frustrating in the genroom and some of the flagstands, and generally anywhere with a ledge.

This annoys me, but you learn to live with it. I stay awya from anywhere with a ledge for any real length of time.

On top of that, the jetpack has a cap to its speed gain, meaning that past 80km/h or so, you won't gain any speed using it, only height. Of course, if you gained more speed, the thruster pack would become obsolete

The thrust pack is for taking you to 140kmph from a standing start. If you're using it to gain speed after you start moving, you're doing it wrong.

The BRT and SLD don't have a place in the game right now. They are viable (on pubs), sure, but RDR and JGN are pretty much better in every way, apart from energy.

Don't necessarily disagree with the Soldier, but the Brute has it's place. Fractal grenades will render capping a flag completely impossible for ~6 seconds - and you can carry three of them. That's 18 seconds of denial per trip to the inventory station, which is incredibly handy when your team mates can just fly through it. The Brute also has way more staying power than the Juggernaut, since he has the same shield pack as the Raider and can take the same splash damage to energy converting perk. A skilled Brute who knows when to take damage on energy and when to take it on health is incredibly hard to take down.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The fractal grenade is pretty much the only redeeming quality of the BRT. It's great, I agree, but that's all he can do. Yes, he's hard to kill, but then what do you do? You walk away from him. In the end, a DMB is better at defending a flag than he is, RDR and JGN are better as disrupting base defense and wrecking the genroom.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
My main problem with velocity and skiing, is that there's zero friction. When you ski down a hill at 300km/h, you shouldn't be picking up speed, you should be losing speed.

You're not literally skiing, that's just what it's called. You're employing a frictionless field. So yeah, there's no friction.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Yeah, soldier's a good midfield class and it can stay airborne much longer than the other two medium armors.

For those saying that RDR is good for midfield, are you out of your minds? Have you actually tried killing midfielders with the ARX Buster? Let alone the grenade launcher? That SMG is good, but it's not like it's super-frikkin'-amazing.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Raider is good in midfield - since everyone now uses the Plasma Gun. I occassionally come across Arx Buster users, but they are few and far between. The SMG is pretty capable, it's way better than the Technician SMG, that's for sure - and I midfield with that.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Raider is good in midfield - since everyone now uses the Plasma Gun. I occassionally come across Arx Buster users, but they are few and far between. The SMG is pretty capable, it's way better than the Technician SMG, that's for sure - and I midfield with that.

I'm sure that some adjustments will come along later adjusting the damage or the projectile size of the plasma gun. It's still pretty powerful. BUT. Pre-patch, raider wasn't that good midfield with its primaries. It was pretty anemic midfield, IIRC. I have been playing this game since early beta, and with each new weapon there comes some rebalancing. There was a patch last year that brought in a slew of new weapons that tipped the balance. It's happening again with these new weapons as well.

Also: Raindance gen room design is awful.
[m]http://youtu.be/e967R3FgQYs[/m]

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I saw that yesterday - I could predict the Brute getting some love as they seem to have left every third class with gaping inventory holes.

Still the only class without a rapid fire weapon, but I do like the look of the Gladiator. Not so hot on the idea of a plasma cannon given how painful the plasma gun still is (nothing like getting two-shot killed by the damned thing all the time). I would have liked it if they came up with something more interesting than the survival pack however - that was pretty dull.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Lol these weapons look so OP. I wonder if my impressions are correct, people would initially accept the plasma rifle when it was released, then they created a massive world-wide assembly on Plasma Rifle rage and tears after a week or so when people were getting better with said weapon.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Lol these weapons look so OP. I wonder if my impressions are correct, people would initially accept the plasma rifle when it was released, then they created a massive world-wide assembly on Plasma Rifle rage and tears after a week or so when people were getting better with said weapon.

I've come up against it in two games today, and it doesn't seem so bad. Not been killed by it at all. It's basically a plasma gun with more damage, but since it's on a Brute it's not as rapetastic.

In other news, I worked out today that a Doombringer with a minigun will lose to a Raider with an SMG if they just stand there and pummel one another since the raiders shield is a bit ridiculous.

What's presently winding me up is how shit the Infiltrators SMG is compared to every other class (and especially the Sentinel, why do they get one of the best SMGs?)

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I've come up against it in two games today, and it doesn't seem so bad. Not been killed by it at all. It's basically a plasma gun with more damage, but since it's on a Brute it's not as rapetastic.

In other news, I worked out today that a Doombringer with a minigun will lose to a Raider with an SMG if they just stand there and pummel one another since the raiders shield is a bit ridiculous.

What's presently winding me up is how shit the Infiltrators SMG is compared to every other class (and especially the Sentinel, why do they get one of the best SMGs?)

Infiltrator SMG isn't that awful! It's actually fairly easy to hit stuff with and most enemies don't realize they're being damaged until it's too late and I finish them off with a throwing knife. Some people are entirely reliant on noise to notice that they're being damaged. I often have loltastic moments where I stick unwary enemies with the winfiltrator grenades and they turn to look for me (if they survive the two sticks). They're often too focused on trying to hit something with their mortar or sniper to be aware.

Gotten better at infiltrator kung fu as well.

Also also: If you somehow manage to land all 3 stickies from the Jackal, you deserve the kill. Even after the patch people are still bitching, but you know what? Fuck 'em. It's technically not as strong as the Arx buster (due to fire rate and damage per sticky), although more versatile.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The players you play against are obviously a lot less aware. I usually rely on stickying opponents - and as soon as they hear the grenade they move pretty quickly. I'll melee a Sentinel mind, since they tend to be too all over the place to hit with a grenade unless they're a muppet and stood still.

Players *must* notice being pummeled by an SMG, given there's a pronounced visual effect and it isn't just noise. I rarely encounter anyone who doesn't react pretty quickly. A brute with upgraded armour and shield pack taking two stickies still needs another full magazine of SMG to finish off, and usually more. My real bone of contention is coming into firefights with Sentinels, as the Sentinel SMG just plain outclasses the Infiltrators, despite both being light classes and one supposedly being the 'short range effective' class and the other being the opposite.

I don't use the Jackal, as it's disallowed in competitive play.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Doombringers are one of the weaker classes, but the Minigun is reasonable for spattering incoming cappers, the lock-on rocket launcher is largely useless (doubly so given how easy it is to shoot down the rocket), although it can encourage players to stay low.
Don't know. I haven't played much, and this is the only class I bought (with the free 250 gold they give on FB). And on the very first day I had a CTF game on that Tokara Forest-like map, playing strictly on defense. It was something like 21 kill, 1 death + some assists and the top place on the scoreboard. About 4-5 frags were by the rocket launcher on jumping enemies. They had to go in low, and that was where minigun came in.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Don't know. I haven't played much, and this is the only class I bought (with the free 250 gold they give on FB). And on the very first day I had a CTF game on that Tokara Forest-like map, playing strictly on defense. It was something like 21 kill, 1 death + some assists and the top place on the scoreboard. About 4-5 frags were by the rocket launcher on jumping enemies. They had to go in low, and that was where minigun came in.

Yeah, it's pretty good for keeping enemies on the ground. When you play against more capable opponents you'll find that they tend to stick closer to the ground anyway, rendering the class much less effective. When I'm capping, I stick very close to the ground and the only time I'll fly any real distance is to reach raised flag stands whilst capping, which are only present in a small number of maps (e.g Raindance) - and in most of those maps I can both outrun the missile as well as have plenty of time to shoot it down or get a hill between it and myself.

Doombringers are still however the only heavy class that gives me any real trouble, since I can't dodge the minigun like I can other weapons - but providing I stay mobile I can outmaneuver them by ducking behind hills and using stealth to hit and run quicker than they can regenerate and whittle them down. The other problem with that is that it takes a lot of time and leaves me open to attack by other players. I usually ignore Doombringers unless they're isolated and harassing the team at range.