Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Now I'll try to have an eye to the S3TC textures (from what you said it looks hard stuff to install properly tho o_O).
Negative, if client side. All you need is to download, replace the old textures and set UseS3TC to true.

Cyberia-Mix

Aug 20, 2008
Ok bad news, I can't get a proper brightness with my screenshots for any of D3D8/D3D9/OpenGL drivers. It's either too bright or too dark (depending gamma correction for screenshots is set to true or false). -_-
Swictching back to old D3D. -_-'

BlackCheetah

Jan 22, 2008
Here is pics in Torlan

Attachments

• color1.bmp
    869.4 KB · Views: 42
  • color2.bmp
    931.6 KB · Views: 44
  • color3.bmp
    935.7 KB · Views: 31

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Anyone here who runs UT on an ATI 4850 512 mb dd3 ?
Which are your D3D9 settings? It seems the shadow parts, in my game, are really washed out/too dark.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Anyone here who runs UT on an ATI 4850 512 mb dd3 ?
Which are your D3D9 settings? It seems the shadow parts, in my game, are really washed out/too dark.

I have this card and here's my D3D9 settings:

Code:
[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=8
UseAA=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=160
SwapInterval=0
UseFragmentProgram=True
UseVertexProgram=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=2
RefreshRate=75
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=-0.500000
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=ATI Radeon HD 4850
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=True
ShinySurfaces=True
VolumetricLighting=True

Be sure to change settings representing your hardware capabilities like RefreshRate :)

Malevol3nt

May 29, 2008
Hey guys. How would one play the game at a widescreen resolution?

My native rez for this LCD is 1680x1050. I can set it this high in ut.ini, however the game looks very tall. Also the crosshair is blurry because it's double it's size.

Anyone know of any fixes for these? I know I've seen a couple of 1680x1050 screenshots over at clanbase, so obviously someone has a fix at least for the crosshair problem.

If there is a fix for either D3D8 or OpenGL, both are fine for me.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Hey guys. How would one play the game at a widescreen resolution?

My native rez for this LCD is 1680x1050. I can set it this high in ut.ini, however the game looks very tall. Also the crosshair is blurry because it's double it's size.

Anyone know of any fixes for these? I know I've seen a couple of 1680x1050 screenshots over at clanbase, so obviously someone has a fix at least for the crosshair problem.

If there is a fix for either D3D8 or OpenGL, both are fine for me.
That's easy. Open your UnrealTournament.ini.

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
FullscreenViewportX=1680
FullscreenViewportY=1050
FullscreenColorBits=32

XxDangerxX

Jan 20, 2008
NSW, Australia
www.myspace.com
Dark Pulse, please thoroughly re-read Malevol3nt's post. Your reply does not address the crosshair issue, which I also have, and I can tell you those values are what are set in my UT ini.

Malevol3nt, have you double checked the actual variable names with those that Dark Pulse has provided? You may have set some other variables that are to do with resolution/pixels, so it may not even be running in 1680x1050, resulting in the tall look of the game.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Dark Pulse, please thoroughly re-read Malevol3nt's post. Your reply does not address the crosshair issue, which I also have, and I can tell you those values are what are set in my UT ini.
I wouldn't know about a high-rez crosshair fix, since currently I game at 1024x768. (I have an old CRT monitor that will likely finally get retired in favor of a LCD this spring or summer.)

That said, I'm pretty sure there's a couple crosshair packs that will help him out. AA might help, too.

Diehard

From what i read here, i could easelly make S3TC versions of the default crosshairs.

Am i correct to say that the Default crosshairs for UT are to found in the Botpack -->Icons group ? Or are they located in a different location, if so please tell me where i can find them so i can turn them S3TC.

Give me a couple a days to come up with something.

Malevol3nt

May 29, 2008
Well maybe the game just appears tall to me. I don't know, I used to play on a 4:3 15" CRT on 1024x768 for many years. I probably got used to the "look" of the game on that screen. I might of had a stretched image on the CRT, and now the normal resolution looks funny. I just did a comparison from screenshots of different resolutions, and it looks fine. I was just used to the stretched image I guess.

Still tho, I would need a fix for the crosshair issue. The crosshair becomes blurred on any resolution above 1152x864:

1024x768
20lhxh.jpg

1680x1050
2qnv80w.jpg

Edit: Btw I cropped the 1680x one so it fits in the forum nicely.

And I've tried to use custom crosshairs aswell. Seems to me like some rendering problem. This affects both D3D, D3D8 and OpenGL (utglr34 and others).

Diehard

From what i read here, i could easelly make S3TC versions of the default crosshairs.

Am i correct to say that the Default crosshairs for UT are to found in the Botpack -->Icons group ? Or are they located in a different location, if so please tell me where i can find them so i can turn them S3TC.

Give me a couple a days to come up with something.

That was a short lived experiment :(

I tried it, and apearently the DrawScale funtion is not present in the HUD, which is crucial to make the S3TC textures work. I added a 2048 x 2048 S3TC crosshair to the game, and it will show up alright, but without the scaling down(DrawScale) function, which means the texture is being projected as is, instead of being sampled down. I could do some further testing to see if i can bypass it somehow, but i am pretty much 100% convinced its imposible......

Real pitty because i could have released a fix in basically a couple of hours....

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
It should be possible to override the hud. Keeping it compatible with other mods is another question.

Diehard

Of course i could finish up the S3TC package, that wont be a too big problem, but how to go from there i have no clue. But seeing my test i start to suspect that the S3TC packages may only react to the DrawScale function for a certain texture to the surface its sitting on. And since its not sitting on a surface (e.g. dangling in midair) it cant do the proper calculation while its being rendered on the spot.

But as said, i could provide the S3TC package.....

Malevol3nt

May 29, 2008
Somebody needs to call up the UTPG people and ask them for a favour :)

Why'd they quit updating UT anyway? Everyone was so hyped when they heared ut was gonna get more patches done, but the team just went silent all of a sudden. Shame.. :/

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Of course i could finish up the S3TC package, that wont be a too big problem, but how to go from there i have no clue. But seeing my test i start to suspect that the S3TC packages may only react to the DrawScale function for a certain texture to the surface its sitting on. And since its not sitting on a surface (e.g. dangling in midair) it cant do the proper calculation while its being rendered on the spot.

You mean this ? How do you use it exactly ?

var(Texture) float DrawScale; // Scaling relative to parent.

HUDs use textures so maybe there's a way to have one cover up the screen area. There's also a few drawing functions although I don't know if they can handle images.

Anyway, here's how crosshairs are handled in HUD :
Code:
simulated function DrawCrossHair( canvas Canvas, int X, int Y)
{
	local float XScale, PickDiff;
	local float XLength;
	local texture T;

if (Crosshair>=CrosshairCount) Return;
	if ( Canvas.ClipX < 512 )
		XScale = 0.5;
	else
		XScale = FMax(1, int(0.1 + Canvas.ClipX/640.0));
	PickDiff = Level.TimeSeconds - PickupTime;
	if ( PickDiff < 0.4 )
	{
		if ( PickDiff < 0.2 )
			XScale *= (1 + 5 * PickDiff);
		else
			XScale *= (3 - 5 * PickDiff);
	}
	XLength = XScale * 64.0;

Canvas.bNoSmooth = False;
	if ( PlayerOwner.Handedness == -1 )
		Canvas.SetPos(0.503 * (Canvas.ClipX - XLength), 0.504 * (Canvas.ClipY - XLength));
	else if ( PlayerOwner.Handedness == 1 )
		Canvas.SetPos(0.497 * (Canvas.ClipX - XLength), 0.496 * (Canvas.ClipY - XLength));
	else
		Canvas.SetPos(0.5 * (Canvas.ClipX - XLength), 0.5 * (Canvas.ClipY - XLength));
	Canvas.Style = ERenderStyle.STY_Translucent;
	Canvas.DrawColor = 15 * CrosshairColor;

T = CrossHairTextures[Crosshair];
	if( T == None )
		T = LoadCrosshair(Crosshair);

Canvas.DrawTile(T, XLength, XLength, 0, 0, 64, 64);
	Canvas.bNoSmooth = True;
	Canvas.Style = Style;
}

Why doesn't the UT crosshair behave like the Unreal crosshair at high resolutions? It's like the Unreal one is just mapped to a fixed number of pixels, so it always looks very sharp.

It's resized with the resolution (see above Canvas.DrawTile() above).

Last edited:

Diehard

You mean this ? How do you use it exactly ?

I am not doing anything ;) Let me explain:

Normal texture:

Lets take a 128 x 128 pixel texture, if that texture is added to a package it will get a UClamp 128 and VClamp 128 while the DrawScale is automatically set to 1.000000

S3TC texture:

Lets say the S3TC version of that same texture is created in 2048 x 2048 pixels. If i run the Mergertool it will look at the drawscale from the original texture (1.000000) and than it looks at the size from the S3TC version. It will automatically calculate the correct DrawScale setting for the S3TC version. In this example the DrawScale will be set to 0.062500

Texture added to a surface:

If that texture now is added to a surface, and lets say a wall that is 256 x 256 (2.000000 e.g an enlargment) than the calculation ingame will be: 0.062500 x 2.000000

If the surface would be 62 x 64 than the calculation would be 0.062500 x 0.500000 If the surface is 128 x 128 than you would get 0.062500 x 1.000000

The 0.062500 will ensure that despite the S3TC texture is 2048 x 2048 it still will be projected as 128 x 128 ingame.

I tried to make a normal package inwhere the crosshairs are 256 x 256 (originals are all 64 x 64) but than UT will project them as is. Which means they are really being projected as 256 instead of the 64 it should be. I than tried to fool UT by changing the Drawscale in the editor to 0.250000 but it didnt work. For some reason it keeps reseting it to 1.000000 So if someone succeeds in changing the DrawScale to 0.250000 than that might be a solution. I tried to use the hexeditor, but to no vail, i simply know little to nothing about that stuff to pull out something decent.

I also tried to change the UClamp and VClamp which did work after a few try's and errors. But ingame it still showed up as 256 x 256 instead the U and V Clamp of 64 i gave it.

Last edited:

Malevol3nt

May 29, 2008
I'm guessing the call to Canvas.DrawTile(T, XLength, XLength, 0, 0, 64, 64); gives it the dimensions of the crosshair texture? Hmm..

Where'd you get that code from anyway?

Edit: K, I see the post above now.

Last edited:

Diehard

The whole culprit to the solution is to fool UT that regardless what size we choose for the texture (1024, 512, 256., 128 or 64) it will project it in the size 64 ingame. And i asume there is a bug in UT which enlarges the crosshair to 128 which is why it looks larger and fuzzy when a certain resolution is used.

Since a normal crosshair is always using up 64 x 64 pixels regardless the resolution. Than the solution must be projecting it ingame to 32 x 32 pixels which will than be corrected by the bug to 64 x 64 pixels.

Or fix the bug ;)

Last edited: