Hi!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
Hey Skipr, what's up?

I noticed the /\°lpha forums went down a while back :(

I'm sure you've seen the other threads/posts but I'll just say this and this. Come join us for some XMP one sunday, Chrome is another old /\° player who still shows now and then :)

AlphaSkipr

Jun 22, 2011
I lost my id and password, so i didnt know :(

I will join ya on a Sunday, maybe this sunday!!

Ill tell Spawn, hes on my 360 friends list. I think DZA is on my steam friends list too, so i will let him know!

AlphaSkipr

Jun 22, 2011
:)

I played XMP last night with 2-3 other people. Was pretty fun to play it again!

Graphics kinda hold-up well

Mar 6, 2004
:)

I played XMP last night with 2-3 other people. Was pretty fun to play it again!

I have not played it in a long ass time, i can't seem to get into it anymore. :( Bound to happen with the next to no player base.

PTCruiserGT

bInputDevice=touchpad :(
Feb 23, 2008

:confused: It looks horrible on my TV. I guess the textures weren't meant to be seen on today's big screens. Did anyone ever make a hires texture pack for U2/XMP like they did for the the original Unreal?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I assume that you have set the texture detail to maximum and enabled anisotropic filtering?

No, those packs are impossible, I'm afraid. Only Unreal has S3TC support. Of course, you could make a higher resolution texture pack and, provided U2XMP's UCC supports that, conform or merge it with normal resolution textures, but it won't be as high resolution as in Unreal and nobody has ever attempted to make high resolution textures for U2 anyway.

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
No, those packs are impossible, I'm afraid. Only Unreal has S3TC support.
I was under the impression that texture upgrades were possible in UE1 because there is no MD5 checking, rather than UE1 having some kind of additional 'support' for texture packs. S3TC just allows the larger textures that are required, or am I missing something? Given that UE2 textures can be much larger than UE1 without any fiddling around.

Given that, surely if somebody wanted to make hi-res texture packs then all that would be required would be to add the MD5's of the new packages to the master server? I can't see anyone actually doing it, given the tiny player base, but surely it's possible?

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
No. The support I'm talking about is per-texture scaling. The thing is, if you have 512x512 texture, and you texture a cube with it, then swap that texture with a 1024x1024 texture, you can then see only one fourth of the texture. You could use TexScalers, but then every texture would have to be a TexScaler or a Shader etc. and, of course, most of them aren't. And then there is the problem with static meshes being handled differently - they actually scale right, so you *can't* use TexScalers on them.

You can see my thoughts on this here:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1234456325
Though now I know that there is also no way to find a texture in the game when it's applied to a BSP surface, too, so that means that you can only do this with static meshes, and only then if that static mesh has a texture already defined in the level.

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
Ah I see, I'd never noticed the behaviour you mention since I've never had cause to swap out a texture in that way, and of course as you say UVW mapping onto static meshes doesn't suffer the same problem. You could of course convert the levels themselves to do the hi res textures but then you really do lose net compatibility so it's not really viable, although could be a perfectly legitimate method for single player.

It's a shame really, but in fairness U2 does look pretty good even with the stock textures.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yeap, it does look good. It's way better than even that of UT2004, and it doesn't use cheap bloom effects of modern games and all. So I say it's aged well.