Skinning

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Guan_Di

One min. ur safe, the next ur respawnin
Sep 27, 2004
USA
Can milkshape be used to make skins for unreal tournament G O T Y?????
:hmm:

Guan_Di

Sep 27, 2004
USA
i think the title is trowing people off maybe i shud make better ones :hmm:

Guan_Di

Sep 27, 2004
USA
are their any others you can use also, is there any where to download either of them free?? :hmm:

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
re: the original question -- MilkShape uses only planar projection for its texture application, so it wouldn't be very useful as a skinning tool as it's too limited. if by "skinning" you mean just painting the textures for a model, then the apps mentioned earlier are OK, and i would add The Gimp to the list, as it is freeware and very capable.

but skinning involves much more than just the texture painting -- selection & application of a UVW texture projection method and editing of UVW maps are essential skills for a fullly-capable skinner as well, and you'll need different apps for those tasks. Maya & Maya PLE have efficient UVW mapping tools, as does Max. UltimateUnwrap3D is a low-cost app specifically for UVW work. if you're using MilkShape for modeling, UltimateUnwrap is a good companion tool for skinning.

hpv

Sep 30, 2004
chip said:
re: the original question -- MilkShape uses only planar projection for its texture application, so it wouldn't be very useful as a skinning tool as it's too limited. if by "skinning" you mean just painting the textures for a model, then the apps mentioned earlier are OK, and i would add The Gimp to the list, as it is freeware and very capable.

but skinning involves much more than just the texture painting -- selection & application of a UVW texture projection method and editing of UVW maps are essential skills for a fullly-capable skinner as well, and you'll need different apps for those tasks. Maya & Maya PLE have efficient UVW mapping tools, as does Max. UltimateUnwrap3D is a low-cost app specifically for UVW work. if you're using MilkShape for modeling, UltimateUnwrap is a good companion tool for skinning.

Should probably throw in Wings3D which has a pretty decent AutoUV tool (which can be manually adjusted, obviously) that does a pretty good job of unwrapping the model based on edge cuts without a lot of distortion... usually. Like the Gimp, which also has an excellent TCO, it's open source, runs on Linux, Mac, and Windows, and has all that other stuff that just makes you feel all warm inside. Though it only supports .ndo (that's Nendo files), .3ds, and .obj for import/export.

Guan_Di

Sep 27, 2004
USA
can someone give me a link to the gimp thing??
Please

Guan_Di

Sep 27, 2004
USA
ok i downloaded the gimp but i cant install it on my computer cause its a school computer and it has a guard that wont let me install it on my cp SO is there any way to bypass this like putting it on a cd maybe

Cause :angst++: this is like the third thing ive tryed to download and it never works :(

Guan_Di

Sep 27, 2004
USA
hpv said:
Should probably throw in Wings3D which has a pretty decent AutoUV tool (which can be manually adjusted, obviously) that does a pretty good job of unwrapping the model based on edge cuts without a lot of distortion... usually. Like the Gimp, which also has an excellent TCO, it's open source, runs on Linux, Mac, and Windows, and has all that other stuff that just makes you feel all warm inside. Though it only supports .ndo (that's Nendo files), .3ds, and .obj for import/export.
so i can open a skin and edit it in this wings 3d program?????

Guan_Di

Sep 27, 2004
USA
ive got gimp but am totally freakin lost about what to do, where to start, and how to end?????????

can someone help :(

Last edited:

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
what do you want to do...

1) make a custom skin for one of the "stock" UT2003/4 characters? use UPaint. or see #2 below for an alternate method.

2) UVW map and paint the skins for a custom model? use Maya PLE, Maya.commercial, 3DSMax, or MilkShape+UltimateUnwrap3D to model & UVW map, the gimp or p-shop (or equivalent) to paint the skin flats.

3) have everything you need in one convenient and easy-to-use program? sorry, no such animal ;)

4) learn a bit about the process of skinning? here's one source:
intro to game model skinning

Last edited:

Guan_Di

Sep 27, 2004
USA
thanx for the help chip but im looking to take a skin texture whatever its called for ut goty and change it using the gimp

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
Guan_Di said:
thanx for the help chip but im looking to take a skin texture whatever its called for ut goty and change it using the gimp
the gimp can't import .dds files, so unless you can find the skins in a format the gimp can grab, you could do a screen capture of the playerskin texture from the Texture Browser @ 100% size, which depending on your monitor rez may not be very effective (might need to do multiple screen caps and assemble them in the gimp).