Mappers block?!? i need an idea for a map

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ChaosCrisis

aka AJSchiavoni
Aug 28, 2004
I'm Everywhere
www.planetunreal.com
XepptizZ said:
I'd so like a revision of the map DM-Galleon without the sucky gameplay.

Well what i am aiming for in a map is a new idea, something that makes people say omfg wow, and frankly galleon was a one of those maps that did just that. I want an idea that will make people say Holy Sh*t... you know?

The hardest part in mapping isnt the mapping its the planning and theme imho

Reciprocity

Boots of Spanish Rubber
Apr 4, 2004
yeh dude, mak a snpre map with lost of hiding spot and stuff...

Hmm...how about..a city underwater encased in a clear polyeurothane dome?

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Pick a gametype...

Perhaps you should start by choosing a gametype; obviously with UT2K4 there's plenty to choose from.

Then choose a fresh thematic take.

Maybe a layout/plan will follow from that.

Nice website......:tup:

Xiphon

Yours truly
Mar 1, 2005
Nowhere in particular
When I get stuck, I usually play other games and get inspiration from that. I'm working on a place now based on a region of World of Warcraft (After I started the map groundwork, the idea and layout started to change from the original concept of course)

Here's a hint I've worked by, but I dont know if it works for everybody:

A map (like any other creative work be it a book, movie, or video game) has a life force and grows on it's own, if you let it. Most people try to speed up the development or alter it in a way that they personally like. This isn't a good thing to do. You have to flow with a map for it to turn out it's best. Just let your heart tell you how it should be done. The trick to creativity, you (at least some deep, distant part of you) already has finished the idea, your just reading it for the first time. (Another way to think about it is that somebody else made it and your just trying to bring it into this world for them)

I dunno, this method works for me. True, most of my maps get strange towards the end, I can't predict how they develope. I may have a good idea, but for the most part I'm in the dark.

In your case, I'd look to other good games for inspiration. (Halo 2 is a good one lol)

Project:amateur

Aug 30, 2008
i had this idea once...but i dont know how to work with UT2004 ed.(and i dont have much patience too).
A ctf like lavagiant but a little different.in the original there are 2 levels:underground passages that go around half of the map,and the ground level,whitch was more straight-to-your-face approach.
there gonna be another higher level with narrow lavagiant-like roads which reach the high mountain-wall in the center of the map(any of you remember that giant wall?) of course, when you take the highlands you have the advantage because you can look down on everybody.so this way up should better be more difficult than the others.
OR you could build the bases taller to counteract the height advantage of the wall.
Taller as in faceworlds perhaps?

Project:amateur

Aug 30, 2008
another one:eek:nslaught map.Some kind of mini planets-levels-regions perhaps?2 , 3 or 5? united with bridges. each planet may have it's own climate/vegetation and powernode.
an other one onslaught:a harbour with different kins of boats, and yaghts. or (another-other one:) DM: a big cruiseboat in the middle of the ocean?like the ones you go to carribean islands with,once you win the lottary hehe.
or CTF with 2 boats and an island between them.(i think i saw such map in ut99 somewhere).
and an other one:have you tried recreating real existing enviroments? a CTF-facing worlds with twin Eifell towers for example and pools of water between them(you know,like Paris). or a mini region of Venice for DM maps. i think today with google earth-like stuff, you can travel the whole world and take ideas from there.watch pictures,card-postals etc.:)

digital-warrior

Awake...
Nov 3, 2001
tx
Visit site
Ive always wanted to make a ghost town map(did unsuccessfully for ut99) like in the western days, also I would love to see a suburban map, with houses, stores, woods, streets, along with the full effect of like stop signs, street lights, etc....