New PC components

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
With this rig he'll get insane performances in his res, which isn't a bad thing at all. He'll be able to put absolutely everything on max even in the most demanding games without having to worry about FPS drops etc. This matters a lot if you play online tbh (more than the huge res & eyecandy)

And stop telling him to upgrade his monitor ffs, the cheap LCDs (aka TN panels) are crap and their flaws become even more noticeable the bigger they are.
If he finds the current 120hz LCDs too expensive (or he doesn't like some of their features) he better wait for new ones to come out and settle the prices down a bit. OLEDs will probably take ages so I wouldn't recommend waiting for them but 120 IPS are slowly appearing and should be amazing. In the meanwhile 120hz TNs are acceptable for gaming.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Sorry, I must have missed that, or forgot. Why didn't it work?

I bought a 460 GTX and a 5850, I was forced to RMA them as both of them gave me no performance increase whatsoever (I'll let you guys have fun figuring this one out). I'll have to re-think what to go next, if 1440x900 is for wuss.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
If a new gpu doesn't increase performance, the system is being bottlenecked, and given the cpu should be good enough, that leaves only the motherboard. Still think you should get a GTX 560, its pretty much on par with GTX 470 and it is quieter.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I've also been thinking about either,

1-The powersuply, but I've changed it because the other one's fan died. That didn't change anything with the 460 GTX.

2-My AC wall plug doesn't provide enough power. Is that even... possible? When I'm thinking about this as a potential issue to my problem... odd.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I am by no means a hardware expert, but someone please tell me how a motherboard can be a bottleneck? Is it a piece of **** and downclocking your hardware? Is the motherboard faulty and not receiving enough voltage. These are the only things I can think of.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I don't know about that, either.
Sometimes I think the only way I would find out what my problem is, is by trying different hardware, specifically a new 775 mobo.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
What's wrong with Asus these days. I've been buying them for the last 10 years and have had no issues. I don't plan on an upgrade any time soon, but curious what has changed?

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
What's wrong with Asus these days. I've been buying them for the last 10 years and have had no issues. I don't plan on an upgrade any time soon, but curious what has changed?

+1 There's nothing wrong with Asus. Been the most reliable manufacturer for me at least. 3 year warranty on the Maximus Formula III can't really complain. :tup: