20 Brush Level Design Contest

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
You can always do a Static Mesh -> Convert -> To brush, and you'll have a ton of polygons worth of a brush. Just that it won't have smoothing, so it's not good to use it on smooth meshes anyway.

tempus

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
May 29, 2008
Portugal
tempus.paulo.googlepages.com
This sounds pretty interesting, maybe I should participate.

Another way of save BSP, in trims and other details is to do a lot of custom textures with details such as trims, windows, vents, door, etc.
A mix of bevel and extrude and custom textures faking details should allow a good result even with only 20 brushes which can be a pretty interesting challenge since I am used to use a lot of BSP while mapping.

Infje

Sep 21, 2010
www.leveldesign.nl
I'm sorry for the late reaction. I was not informed this was already posted as news and I kept checking the other thread.

I understand your questions regarding the rules. It's correct that there unclear since we don't have an official rule list as of yet. The contest hasn't reached this point. At the moment we are looking into getting different communities to participate. Rules will have to be made that can apply to every community. So we need experts from those communities.

In it's most basic form, as done with Quake 3, the rules are as follows:

20 brushes total
A patch mesh counts as a brush
No models, no decals

You can read about it here. We are currently discussing the rules.

I'm also looking for an expert mapper who ownes UT99/UT2003/UT2004/UT3 and who would be willing to act as a judge for this community. If you are interested. Please sent me a pm. Without one, it would be complicated.

Parkar

Apr 13, 2006
I think the obvious rule when it comes to the unreal based games is that the brushes have to be convex. Then you can cut corners etc as much as you want but can't combine brushes to make a big brush. This could apply to meshes as well to allow the use of static meshes for skies etc.

Unreal would obviously have an advantage over engines that only allows additive brushes. The square room example would for instance require 1 brush in UT99, 2 in UT3 and 6 in quake.

Parkar

Apr 13, 2006
UT3 can use subtractive geometry just as well.

Subtractive mode is just additive with one huge brush surrounding the whole level so it's actually 2 brushes even if the user just places one in subtractive mode.

Unless I remember wrong and it is only in UDK it works like that. It's easy to check by just trying to select the edge of the grid.

Infje

Sep 21, 2010
www.leveldesign.nl
Hi there,

Not sure where to post this exactly. Perhaps an moderator can move it to the appropiate place?

LD 20 Brush Contest Volume 1:

Leveldesign.nl’s has finally announced it's first 20 brush contest. The idea behind this contest is to see what mappers from different communities can produce when following some very limiting rules. These rules are designed to bring out your creativity and to make you think outside the box. This contest, spans 4 games namely: Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Unreal Tournament 3.

The rules differ from game to game and each map will be judged accordingly. There will be one winner based on the best overall score. We have three respected judges from two communities. From the Quake 3 community we have Anthem and Obsidian. Last but certainly not least, from the Unreal community, we have Sjosz. All three of them will spent there free time voluntarily to review each participants entry. Regardless of winning, all participants will get quality feedback. Our thanks goes out to all three judges!

You can start working on your entry immediately but we will only accept the submissions from 14 to 18 December. Until that date, the forum topic will be locked. The contest officially ends on December 19th. It has taken a long time to realise this contest. Which means that some people will have a head start. It’s unfortunate, but unavoidable. Still, you have 18 days to create your masterpiece.

There is no grand prize, except the honour of being called the best participant.

Read all about it right here.

Good luck!

Last edited: