Any old school INFers still around?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Well, you could always join a populated COOP server and ask politely if anyone wants to play TDM/DTAS/EAS. Hint: "All buzy go normal server!" is NOT considered polite by most who enjoy both COOP and TDM/DTAS/EAS.

As for me I prefer COOP at the moment because it's more populated and it's more fun if you happen to be alone on the server.

Snipez

Insane Poster!
Apr 15, 2003
Visit site
Don't worry ... WWE will come back once his ego has grown to it's full size again ..(like the state of Texas :D)

haha qft.

Hehe snipez, sorry abut that, i was only making tests... I keep getting an error when trying to join XploD's coop server. UT tries to download 'blank' and then crashes.. have to investigate it. Maybe it's the map what's wrong? I have tried in 2 computers with the same result.

np mid, I had the same error when trying to join XploD's coop server a few weeks ago even though I had psytex installed and working. I think the error suggested that the issue was a missing UT sound file and then later some other UT files since I had deleted most of them earlier. If you think this might be the case, I'd be happy to send you the required files. In any case the issue is likely map specific, so update to psytex 1.1 and see if you can join the servers.

As for the coop vs. tdm thing, I play coop mainly to explore the maps. Some of the more wider, open maps can be fun. Generally coop lacks a suspense factor though, and most scenarios are either too easy to handle with the right amount of patience, or impossible unless you know the map (e.g. when 3 of those flying bat-like creatures with rocket launchers pop around the corner). This is probably why I make it a point to run and gun and use vantage points to attract monsters instead of aim for 0 deaths. However there are obvious situations where I incorporate tactical play.

Overall TDM is usually more exciting, but Biene's concern is legitimate. Snakeye's suggestion has also been used, sometimes to no avail but it does help. @Road and soultaker, sometimes we have some decent TDM matches at around 22-23 GMT and perhaps onwards, but there are good and bad weeks. It'd be nice to see you guys playing.

*EDIT* OK I got the same 'blank' error just now, and apparently it's more complicated than a missing files error. It happened on Guardian of Vandora something, so I guess I'll have to take another look.

*EDIT2* Courtesy of Ms. Bunnie:
1.Help thread for 'Blank' error
2.Blank.umx

I haven't tested to see if this works because the server just switched maps but hopefully it resolves the issue.

Last edited:

Lt.Col.BoyHitsCar

AFA Member & Beta Team Target
Feb 18, 2002
Visit site
I'm still a lurker, and actually the inf forum is STILL my homepage...

I miss it, I don't really have a PC that can handle much of anything these days.

when I finally get around to rebuilding I'll probably try to make an 'older' model to run my old fun games on.

I still to this day bitch about my current FPS gaming letdowns. I play BC2, MW2 and a few others while bitching constantly about the good ol'days.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I play only co-op. One thing that I hate the most is to spawn and find myself alone at spawn one second later. TDM and even DTAS is a solo frag hunt show, if I want solo, I play single player. I miss the good old times where Zeep, Rostam, Chuckus and the other mates teamed up and pulled off some tactical team action, good times good times. Yes, we had the lowest score and yes we were killed by a blind nade more often than we can remember. You gotta accept that INF is a game that allows and even rewards abusive behaviour and mis-tactics, but we still had the right mindset about INF and played that damned game the way it is meant to be played, for god sake.
In co-op you have no choice as to team up, team up or die, a simple rule like in real life. I like co-op.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Oh and the ol' times where we played co-op with Stinkmarder from 2AM till it got bright outside, it was like ecstasy. Nothing but team orientated, organized and well planned realism gameplay, you don't have this often. Hardcore but awesome!

ShadowFear

Aug 3, 2010
Altis
I miss the good old times where Zeep, Rostam, Chuckus and the other mates teamed up and pulled off some tactical team action, good times good times.

Forgot me :mad: (sarcasm)

Oh and the ol' times where we played co-op with Stinkmarder from 2AM till it got bright outside, it was like ecstasy. Nothing but team orientated, organized and well planned realism gameplay, you don't have this often. Hardcore but awesome!

With Psytex 1.1 out now expect seeing me on the coop server.

Snipez

Insane Poster!
Apr 15, 2003
Visit site
I play only co-op. One thing that I hate the most is to spawn and find myself alone at spawn one second later. TDM and even DTAS is a solo frag hunt show, if I want solo, I play single player. I miss the good old times where Zeep, Rostam, Chuckus and the other mates teamed up and pulled off some tactical team action, good times good times. Yes, we had the lowest score and yes we were killed by a blind nade more often than we can remember. You gotta accept that INF is a game that allows and even rewards abusive behaviour and mis-tactics, but we still had the right mindset about INF and played that damned game the way it is meant to be played, for god sake.
In co-op you have no choice as to team up, team up or die, a simple rule like in real life. I like co-op.

Heh, I don't play with any particular mindset. I just try to do what makes sense in the given situation. If it was just you and me and 1 or 2 other people on coop, I'm willing to slow down and play tactically because it makes sense and I can remember what type of player you were before coop even became popular. With more people though, often times the mode devolves into 6-8 people taking turns shooting around a corner (this happens less in more open maps or maps with many slopes and ramps, which is why I prefer them). In such cases, I might separate from the team for obvious reasons.

Generally I've found that I'm a lot more flexible with how I play the game now that I don't have dialup anymore. Still I try to see what works out well without employing 'mistactics'. Often times it is a solo frag hunt show for me simply because I am the only person on my team :p. In any case, I still remember many scenarios in which the type of play you're referring to either worked wondrously or failed miserably in TDM. Apparently former players have gotten into piss fights over how TDM should be played, why TDM is a broken gametype, etc. but I don't really see it that way since the interesting part for me is seeing what works and what doesn't work.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I just try to do what makes sense in the given situation.
That's the prob, realism isn't always the best thing to do in certain situations. So either you play the game, or you try to make something, let's say "better" out of it... and fail. It's just that it is more fun to fail as a team (and enjoying it still, because you made something better out of it after all). :D

CowTA

Sep 8, 2000
My first post on this never made it through, so here it is again.

I haven't played inf in years, don't even have it installed anymore but I do have my old maps that I made saved.
I sometimes think back of all the good times we had and the old skooler clans, 4C, SOB, QSF, Merlin, and the others. I remember the long nights playing with Santamask, JBE, Swednic, Missy Piggy, Unrealsoldier, Shambler, hell the list could go on forever. Haven't seen much of the inf clan around, played wow with Hawkeye and Gravedigga for awhile until I left wow to play Aion and now Rift.
Maybe I'll have to dig through my old disk and re-install just for old times.
Many fun times and long nights :)

LAMER_7267

strange and... unusual.
Jan 11, 2002
right here...
Visit site
I still check in from time to time. Just to make sure there aren't any new versions of INF being released. Most of those who actually played the game would remember me as "ze_lamer".

Can't believe I'm still here. So sad. In January it will be 10 years since I registered. A whole decade. Time goes too fast. :(

CowTA

Sep 8, 2000
I remember playing when inf first came to beta, believe it was '97 or '98. Long nights of playing and laughing on TeamSpeak and Roger Wilco

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Yeah, but they still don't come close to inf. Now, if we could just combine the graphics and movement of Crysis with the realistic weapons of Arma2/ACE2. That might be a new inf. And of course, we would have to port over the old inf maps.

turranx

Jun 6, 2000
Cincinnati, OH
I haven't played Infiltration in years. In fact, the last time I logged on to this forum was '17th Apr 2002 at 03:52 PM'. It's been 9 years, 10.5 months since I've been here. Almost a full decade. How's that for an old-school INFer? :)

I still have all the installation files, updates, common map packs, etc. on my home server. In some ways I miss rubbing elbows with my old crew. There was a clan that [SOB] was really good friends with... Was it [GRAY]? Or something like that? hmmm...

Last edited: