[lolitics]Your thoughts on offshore drilling after this mess.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
This is simply not true. This might have been the case with old Russian reactors like Chernobyl, but it's not the case with modern technology. Such risks are now contained, and are far below the levels of risk we take on with alternative sources. Even the kind of accident like that on 3 mile island is no longer a concern. Modern nuclear power plants pose no risk to the people and environment around them. The worst that can happen in a disaster is that the people inside the plant are put at risk.

Welcome to Tritium Springs, New Jersey. Don't drink the water. :tinfoil3:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
There's absolutely no way that we can even begin to get a comparable amount of power from solar and wind. I'm fine with researching them but we're not even close to being there yet.

Germany is already producing 30% of its needed energy via wind and solar, I think you're underestimating the technologies.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Seriously? Nuclear power less risky than having a windmill or a solar pannel standing around?

I actually meant that Nuclear power is safer than things like oil and coal. Wind and solar don't generate enough to compete with these solutions on the same level. They can only act as supplements at this time.

Welcome to Tritium Springs, New Jersey. Don't drink the water. :tinfoil3:

Oh you mean that small Tritium leak that never left the plant, and posses absolutely no risk to the surrounding residents?

Last edited:

PeterVenkman

May 12, 2008
Southern California
You guys are forgetting the most important Renewable!! POOP!

There is so much freaking poop out there, if we could harness the cows and the humans, we would have a lot of freaking energy.

1. Poop in box
2. Keep box 97 degrees
3. Put lakewater in the box
4. Microorganisms in the lakewater eat the poop, fart out methane
5. Collect methane
6. Ignite methane, use combustion to spin turbine
7. ENERGY!

Between solar, wind and poop, we should be able to account for our needs. If not, it has the potential to teach conservation. For example, if you don't have enough poop to keep your TV on all day, turn the TV off, go outside, don't use as much energy.

I am hesitant to fully endorse solar power as it is currently envisioned. I have nightmares that all deserts in the Southwest US will be covered with mirrors, destroying the habitat for countless desert species. What will the snakes, lizards, and other animals do? Become shade animals? No, they will probably die. Just because we aren't using fossil fuels does not mean we aren't destroying the environment by installing renewable infrastructure. Wind power kills a lot of birds. Tidal power turns the ocean into a blender, and nuclear power is like painting massive targets for terrorist attack.

Therefore, POOP is the only truly viable answer.

Last edited:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Kiff, so we should have more wind per person, no?

You guys are forgetting the most important Renewable!! POOP!

There is so much freaking poop out there, if we could harness the cows and the humans, we would have a lot of freaking energy.

1. Poop in box
2. Keep box 97 degrees
3. Put lakewater in the box
4. Microorganisms in the lakewater eat the poop, fart out methane
5. Collect methane
6. Ignite methane, use combustion to spin turbine
7. ENERGY!

Between solar, wind and poop, we should be able to account for our needs. If not, it has the potential to teach conservation. For example, if you don't have enough poop to keep your TV on all day, turn the TV off, go outside, don't use as much energy.

I am hesitant to fully endorse solar power as it is currently envisioned. I have nightmares that all deserts in the Southwest US will be covered with mirrors, destroying the habitat for countless desert species. What will the snakes, lizards, and other animals do? Become shade animals? No, they will probably die. Just because we aren't using fossil fuels does not mean we aren't destroying the environment by installing renewable infrastructure. Wind power kills a lot of birds. Tidal power turns the ocean into a blender, and nuclear power is like painting massive targets for terrorist attack.

Therefore, POOP is the only truly viable answer.

A friend of mine got a small grant and did a biodigester project in his village in the Peace Corps. They're neat, but what you come to realize is that it takes a lot of poop to produce even enough fuel just to cook, more than your normal family produces. The best way to do it is with a couple pigs or a cow. Biogas is another stop-gap fuel technology that we should be using in ALL our animal farming operations and sewage treatment asap, but it will never satisfy more than a small fraction of our energy needs.

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I'm glad that BP isn't trying to deny involvement or ignore the problem. They are actively helping in solving the problem, cleaning up, etc. They've committed billions of dollars to the mess already.

Ahahaha. hahahahaha. heh. Oh, Brizz. You're such a card.

And finally, to respond to the topic, yes I think we should continue to permit offshore drilling but NOT UNTIL we can design and actually implement stricter regulations on domestic and international companies that want to drill adjacent to our coastlines. Every indication in this debacle, as with the Exxon-Valdez disaster, point to the company being knowingly negligent. That kind of **** can and must be prevented.

PeterVenkman

May 12, 2008
Southern California

A friend of mine got a small grant and did a biodigester project in his village in the Peace Corps. They're neat, but what you come to realize is that it takes a lot of poop to produce even enough fuel just to cook, more than your normal family produces. The best way to do it is with a couple pigs or a cow. Biogas is another stop-gap fuel technology that we should be using in ALL our animal farming operations and sewage treatment asap, but it will never satisfy more than a small fraction of our energy needs.

This is definitely a good point, and I totally agree with you. However, I believe technology can provide some workaround. For instance, I know that most of the exciting work in nanotechnology involves its use as a catalyst (material to manipulate chemical reactions). If we could map out the chemical reactions that take place within the body of the microorganism that converts waste to methane gas, then we might be able to replicate that reaction in a different environment and use nanotechnology to streamline the process so it is more efficient.

It definitely needs work. Our current biodigester technology really only works if it is for a farm with 500+ cows. There's got to be a way to make it more efficient, and if we try hard enough, we may have a great strategy to add to the renewable penumbra.

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
This is definitely a good point, and I totally agree with you. However, I believe technology can provide some workaround. For instance, I know that most of the exciting work in nanotechnology involves its use as a catalyst (material to manipulate chemical reactions). If we could map out the chemical reactions that take place within the body of the microorganism that converts waste to methane gas, then we might be able to replicate that reaction in a different environment and use nanotechnology to streamline the process so it is more efficient.

It definitely needs work. Our current biodigester technology really only works if it is for a farm with 500+ cows. There's got to be a way to make it more efficient, and if we try hard enough, we may have a great strategy to add to the renewable penumbra.

There is no magic energy hiding inside poop. Poop is waste material; most of the energy has already been extracted from it. By developing biogas we're taking back just another little slice of the pie of solar energy that nourishes crops which feed animals which feed our bodies and industry. But we can get more efficient energy capture per acre of land that grows food by eliminating the wasteful intermediate step of cows, pigs, and chickens and just grow corn or sugarcane for biofuel.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
well, their population density is about 10x ours. the logistics for us to do it is much more complicated.

If we could map out the chemical reactions that take place within the body of the microorganism that converts waste to methane gas, then we might be able to replicate that reaction in a different environment and use nanotechnology to streamline the process so it is more efficient.
...from algae is still being developed. it would be a great source, but it's still in the future

If only we could harvest the power from the mental retardation of lolitics threads.
we could use it as a weapon against a highly advanced alien invasion. shoot 'em with the 'tard ray

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
Wind and Solar are good but they aren't the answer to the problem because they can only supplement the problem here in the United States. Nuclear would be awesome if people would get over the stigmas and convince them to let you put one in their back yard. I do feel we need to move away from oil, but people can't agree on a direction.

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
...from algae is still being developed. it would be a great source, but it's still in the future

This kind of tech is super exciting. But it's direct energy capture from the sun, which is a lot different than getting back some fraction of a percent of the original solar energy by capturing the by-product of organisms that decompose waste material.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Germany is already producing 30% of its needed energy via wind and solar, I think you're underestimating the technologies.

15-16%, but yes, the point remains.

Germany is about 1/30 the size of the US and we're much more spread out.

...which makes it all the more feasible. Renewable energy is best produced decentrally. It's a lot easier to power Kansas or Georgia via alternative energies than, say New York or Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Nuclear waste :(

Solar and wind is the only option.

Wind kills birds like hydro kills fish. By golly we can't have that. Oregon tore down paid for damns that gave plenty of power to save the fish.

As for solar, I like it, I think every house should have it, in time, but it suffers when their is not much sun out.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
There's absolutely no way that we can even begin to get a comparable amount of power from solar and wind. I'm fine with researching them but we're not even close to being there yet.

People that live on boats have solar and wind as their only power source.
It's the people that live in power sucking houses that don't understand how to conserv it.