Guitar Players, I need your help in convincing my Dad...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DENSRAW

Grammaton Cleric
Dec 21, 2000
...to get me a 1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst in excellent condition.

The arguements that I have brought up are:
a) it's a very rare color
b) it's a custom going for 1300
c) it Adam Jone's, my hero's, guitar
d) it's the same year that he has

Now, I understand that c and d are pretty weak, but it's the best I can do! Can you guys think of anything else I can say to persuade him?

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
tell him that a guitar like that will only appreciate in value and will probably be worth 10 times what you will pay for it in a few years :)

DENSRAW

Grammaton Cleric
Dec 21, 2000
His response: If that was going to happen, why would the guy sell it?

I said: Well, maybe he needs to sell it.

His response: No.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Ack man. Few questions:

Does your dad support your music at all?

Is he stingy all around or just with this?

*edit* also, guitar people, I'm doing a guitar theme for windows if anyone wants it. Started on cursors leisurely and decided to do a full theme :)

DENSRAW

Grammaton Cleric
Dec 21, 2000
Yeah, he supports my music and he is not stingy, but he'll only buy something for me that he thinks I need or that will help me, like my GT-6. But in this case, he says that I already have a guitar and that I don't need another one.

DENSRAW

Grammaton Cleric
Dec 21, 2000
Yeah, I tried, but this is what happened (paraphrased):

Me: Dad, Gibsons sound a lot better than Strats. A Strat sucks monkey ass compared to a Gibson.

Him: Ok. By the way, why is this guitar so rare.

Me: Cuz they only painted them in SIlverburst for a few years. People complained that the metallic paints gave the guitar an odd tone.

Him: But I thought you wanted this guitar because it sounds better. Now you tell me it has an odd tone.

Me: Odd doesn't mean bad!

Him: Keep playing your Strat.

Sucks ass, doesn't it? I never really thought he was listening when I talked. ;)

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999
_-_

*cough* buy it yourself *cough*

or at least buy half of it

or have him buy it all and say you will pay him back but then never do.

DENSRAW

Grammaton Cleric
Dec 21, 2000
I told him that if he got it for me, I would find religion. He didn't believe it. :D

vedder

See This Needle? See my arm...
Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
Originally posted by DENSRAW
I told him that if he got it for me, I would find religion. He didn't believe it. :D

:lol:

Well, im a pretty ****in good kid so i always hang that over my parents heads. I dont drink or smoke plus i get good grades in school, thats usually enough to ellicit some sympathy. "Mom, Dad i could be shelling out your money on crack, but instead i want something conducive to productivity.... Buy me a new computer" It works everytime lol. Good luck Dens You probably deserve this new guitar and music is the language of the soul. :)

Excelsiore

Binary Liberation Front
Mar 23, 2001
Sweden
www.geocities.com
1) Every guitarist needs at least two guitars in order to be able to get the different sounds that different songs and styles require. It's like a carpenter who needs both a phillips head and a regular screwdriver. One alone just won't do.

He may also need a third one with orange juice but that may not help you :=)

2) If the guy is selling a guitar for 1300 that will be worth 2000 in a few years to buy a guitar for 2000 that will be worth 3000 in a few years it doesn't seem that odd.

3) The guy selling may just not like the "odd" tone of the guitar. Tone is very subjective. Two seemingly identical cars don't handle exactly the same right...

Good luck!

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
Tell him that the "odd" tone is unique to this guitar and others of it's kind. Originality is a plus in any musician's repetoire. Besides, this guitar is quite rare, I doubt you'll be able to get one any other time.

Mad_Dog

Voice Of Reason
Mar 27, 2001
Soviet Canuckistan
www.planetunreal.com
Originally posted by DENSRAW
I got's me a gay ass Standard Mexican Strat.

DON"T YOU DARE MOCK THE MEXICAN STRAT!!!!! :mad:

i love mine to fu<i></i>cking death. :Di'll never ever sell it. and that is a cool deal. it sounds like a good price, i would love to have it if i had the cash. just borrow the money from your dad, and pay him back when you can. that's what i would do. good luck.:)

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
say its a gitar thats is better than the average.

say it costs much less than a Stratocaster - about 2000 bucks.

say u will use it for something cool, related to girls - a night singing maybe...

i´ll stick with my yamaha just for fun...