windows 7 and backdoor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Hi as the title post says, I am lately very paranoid when I heard few days ago that NSA forced ( or not, maybe M$ is conscious accomplice with that agency ) to put a backdoor for win 7 ( maybe for win 8 too ), I have several question for expert IT technician ( if there is any ):

I was googling for a firewall that replace the bul**** ones provided by M$ and I found one that I got very good results called smoothwall. Only you need and old machine and a crossed red wire net for conneting the old machine ( this one is connected to a router to net with another wire rj-45 ) and my current machine where i am writing from ( connected both machines by using that red wire). Two net cards and its fine.

But I dont trust paid antivirus cos I think they could be have some backdoor or rookit ( like kaspersky or norton or M$ security essentials):

- Can you suggest me some reliable antivirus does not have any backdoor?
- Does windows ( x64) xp have any backdoor keeping in mind windows 7 (and 8 maybe) does it have?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
You mean this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY

In any case, if you want a strong firewall I recommend you get yourself a router capable of running DD-WRT. It's a lot easier (and usually cheaper) than building a firewall box from scratch, and DD-WRT's security features/strength are comparable. Plus there's no need for additional routers/switches; you only need the one to cover your entire network.

Most Buffalo routers and a lot of Linksys routers are good candidates but check the compatibility list before buying. You can also find routers designed for/pre-installed with DD-WRT on Newegg and various other retailers.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
If you want to lower the risk of backdoors, use open source software.
That's valid if you are able to analyze and understand the source code and compile it yourself, but then you'd also want to know the compiler, the libraries, the host operating system, the drivers, the hardware, etc.

(To verify all the software and hardware, you'd have to put it through your own disassembler and analyze the instructions to know for sure, but why stop there? You'd have to access the microcode in the processor, etc.)

I don't think they need a specific NSA backdoor. There are so many exploits that people have used to get into a system. If anything, that's what they'd use as a backdoor, and that's probably among the reasons why they require (?) Microsoft to report vulnerabilities to them first.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
- Does windows ( x64) xp have any backdoor keeping in mind windows 7 (and 8 maybe) does it have?
XP will no longer receive any security updates whatsoever in less than a year. You should switch to something newer soon.

subi84

Jul 7, 2013
I have weird graphic problems sometimes.And at the last time only receive updates for windows defender.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's valid if you are able to analyze and understand the source code and compile it yourself, but then you'd also want to know the compiler, the libraries, the host operating system, the drivers, the hardware, etc.

(To verify all the software and hardware, you'd have to put it through your own disassembler and analyze the instructions to know for sure, but why stop there? You'd have to access the microcode in the processor, etc.)

I don't think they need a specific NSA backdoor. There are so many exploits that people have used to get into a system. If anything, that's what they'd use as a backdoor, and that's probably among the reasons why they require (?) Microsoft to report vulnerabilities to them first.
It's valid because anyone can see the source and compile it themselves. There would be outrage if a popular package was found to have a simple to use backdoor. Most frequently used and maintained open source software tends to have better security in general.

Obviously there is no way to guarantee anything, but hacking into things is not as easy as people are making it sound. If the NSA is monitoring web traffic, they are almost certainly not doing it on people's machines but at ISP data centers or higher.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
The best antivirus is yourself. Don't click questionable links or visit untrusted websites, and don't download files from questionable sites. I haven't run antivirus software on Windows in years and I've had no problems.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I did pick up a virus through google image search once; looking at pictures of somewhere I was considering travelling to, clicked an image to enlarge it, enlarged version never appeared but it was clear something was downloaded - turns out it was one of those nasty scareware buggers, hard to get rid of , so you know, it can happen!

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
There would be outrage if a popular package was found to have a simple to use backdoor.

That's true of some open source software, but not all. Canonical, for instance, has apparently gotten away with snooping on your Ubuntu file system activity and relaying it to Amazon.

When choosing software, consider the goal of the author. Canonical is out to make a profit at all costs, including your privacy. Arch, Slack, Trisquel and many others are not. Choose those guys.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's true of some open source software, but not all. Canonical, for instance, has apparently gotten away with snooping on your Ubuntu file system activity and relaying it to Amazon.

When choosing software, consider the goal of the author. Canonical is out to make a profit at all costs, including your privacy. Arch, Slack, Trisquel and many others are not. Choose those guys.
That came with quite a bit of outrage, though.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
When choosing software, consider the goal of the author. Canonical is out to make a profit at all costs, including your privacy.

Yeah, but that's Canonical. They're a large for-profit organization, kinda like Apple, Red Hat, or Microsoft. They're in the business to make money. It's no surprise companies like these would have for-profit data collection built into their distros.

Arch, Slack, Trisquel and many others are not. Choose those guys.

Those are all great, but let's not forget about Debian and it's long list of excellent non-Ubuntu derivatives. Given Debian's long-standing history as a volunteer-maintained distro I seriously doubt it has any hidden gotchas.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
If you care about not be victim of exploits, stay away from popular Linux distros. There are lots of exploits against Ubuntu, for example.