Does Bulletstorm PC Use GFWL?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Just because a game has Epic's stamp on it doesn't mean it has to be praised irrational by Beyondunreal or that it's gonna be awesome, and moves like GFWL shouldn't surprise you. Epic did sell out to the consoles long ago and they did it with much honor and pride. It's not the same company we used to adore and love 12 years ago
Huh?

Who here actually praises Epic?

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
This. All you need are CD-keys.
Nope. CD keys are easily cracked/generated. Steam works just fine, doesn't hurt anyone or anything, and provides all the copy protection a publisher could want while intrusion on freedoms is minimized.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Nope. CD keys are easily cracked/generated.
Because Steam isn't easily cracked... O.O
Everything is easily cracked. There just has to be a cracker that cares to do it. And most of the time there is.
In the end what is better for the legit gamer while still providing some form of protection is the good old CD-Key. If you have an uncracked one, you can play online. If you have a cracked one, you generally can't. Single-player will always be played by pirates, no matter the protection method used.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Everything is easily cracked. There just has to be a cracker that cares to do it. And most of the time there is.
In the end what is better for the legit gamer while still providing some form of protection is the good old CD-Key. If you have an uncracked one, you can play online. If you have a cracked one, you generally can't. Single-player will always be played by pirates, no matter the protection method used.
I wouldn't really say Steam is as easily cracked as a CD-Key generation system. Games that use Steamworks for everything are typically not cracked within the first few days of release, several of them have taken over a week. That's a huge bonus for publishers.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
That's a huge bonus for publishers.
No, they are ****ing idiots anyways and will blame piracy for whatever reason regardless of how long piracy was actually delayed for their game. A week doesn't change much, pirates will wait. Or they are not as smart as I think they are, but I'm pretty sure they are that smart. What was it about PC users being more tech savy and prone to piracy than console users? Yeah, that argument.
Also considering that games are usually leaked on torrent networks a week early, in the end it can cancel out.
Update: Epic Games has confirmed to Big Download that the PC port of Bulletstorm is indeed a Games For Windows Live title.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Okay, I'm cynical here but if that's actually what's in the e-mail that was sent to BigDownload that's pretty ****ing weak.

I'll definitely wait for reviews now though. If the worse comes to pass and it's a buggy mess with dysfunctional multiplayer then we will have to come to the realization that Epic just doesn't get it anymore and move on.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Most games sell the most units in the first week than the rest of the time the game is out. If you prevent pirates from getting the game for the first 7 days, you're more likely to convert the ones that REALLY want the game to sales.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Seriously, what is the f*cking problem with GFWL? Does it crash your system? Is it bloated with spyware? Does it prevent the game from performing as well as it should? Really, what is it about GFWL that is gives players reason not to buy or play Bulletstorm?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The part where it usually doesn't actually work is enough for me - remember GameSpy in UT3? Yeah, it's less reliable than that and you have to install it, and if you do have an online account, you have to be online to save your game (lol).

Bingo.

I wouldn't really say Steam is as easily cracked as a CD-Key generation system. Games that use Steamworks for everything are typically not cracked within the first few days of release, several of them have taken over a week. That's a huge bonus for publishers.

All you usually have to do is swap the Steamworks library out for one that has a couple of bytes changed. If it wasn't cracked quickly, then noone probably cared enough to do it. Sometimes you can even get away with using a crack from another game to do it.

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
To be honest I wasn't terribly interested in the Multiplayer, but this is indeed bad news. If the game comes as bloated as UT 3 was at launch (and, to be honest, three years later there's still some stuff to be fixed) then we can expect even worse sales and, once the storm of kids gets tired of the game in a few months, death of online activity.
I SERIOUSLY hope that at least they won't implement GFWL in the single player (like they stupidly did in Red Faction Guerrilla, which is kind of a GTA clone: if you don't have a GFWL account you can't even save the game).

I hope that the game will at least have UnrealEd shipped with it, otherwise I'll wait until it's in the bargain bins before picking it up...

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I have yet to play any GFWL games, so I had to ask the questions. If these are legitimate issues, I will most likely default to my PS3. The game looks too fun to pass up, and I see no reason to do so simply because of one platform's issues.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
All you usually have to do is swap the Steamworks library out for one that has a couple of bytes changed. If it wasn't cracked quickly, then noone probably cared enough to do it. Sometimes you can even get away with using a crack from another game to do it.
That really only works for games that don't use all of the features of SteamWorks, or, more particularly, don't implement them correctly (hi, MW2).

Pretty much every Valve game on Steam has taken several days after release to crack.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
I was looking at the install instructions from an old Duke game. The DRM amounted to "please do not make copies of this disc". Ah, the good old days. Things have gotten way out of hand now. Companies are doing so much to prevent piracy that people who pay for games can't play them. Many can't be played off line unless you have a live internet connection. That's just wrong.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Interesting tidbit for folks here as well: did you know that all of the all-time best selling PC games (with the notable exception of HL2/Orange Box and CSS, which use Steam) had nothing more than a CD-key for protection.

Recent example and irony;

EA's spokesfolks went on a PR rampage justifying the use of SecuRom in their products. Less than a month later, Dragon Age comes out sans SecuRom, and sells over 3 million copies.