Insite Shuts Down

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Insite was a great site in it's heyday and I've had a couple of maps reviewed over there years ago by Thunderstrike - really top notch reviews and very informative.
I didn't realise that UnrealPlayground had also closed it's doors and that's very sad also because I did a couple of reviews myself there at the height of my mapping period when I was really into the whole Unreal thing.
Let's not forget that other great Unreal site UnrealOps that closed it's doors a while back.
Drop by Nali City now (once the all powerful, all conquering reviewing community site)and you will see the tumbleweed blowing across the forums - very sad.
The biggest hit was when CliffyB stopped doing the Ownage awards.
Kinda lost interest after that.
UT3 was never going to haul the game out of the doldrums unfortunately.
Beyond Unreal is the only really active Unreal related site I visit but I do wonder how long it will be before we see this site resigned to distant memory.

Now I want to get drunk

Lruce

ArcadiaVincennes

Level Designer
May 20, 2004
Joisee
www.avld.org
When I was just starting out with Level Design I would read every new map review that popped up on insite so I could learn what to do, and what not to do. When I finally released maps, I was fortunate enough to be reviewed there.

I know the people at insite over the years have put in a huge amount of time into helping other people and the community in general.

Thank you to each and every one of you. I appreciate your hard work.

-AV

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
nah.. it will just move beyond unreal

it already has ... or haven't you read the front page of this site lately ? ;)

// ---
As long as the reviews and downloads are active there's life.

Skincity probably is one of the few sites for user-created content that still can be considered 'active' ...

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
wow, this is really sad :(
i always loved insite (especially for that random pic in the corner that pointed me to a whole lot of very cool maps!) and imo this is a huge loss for the community.
it really seems like the times of arena-type shooters are coming to an end. after all it's not only a lot of unreal-related sites that closed down more or less recently. it's also a whole lot of quake-related ones that are now pointing towards weird search sites or simple 404s :(

i sure hope the next UT will follow the UT2003 -> UT2004 pattern and breathe some new life into this all.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Unreal Forever

I hope that doesn't turn out the same way Amiga Forever did.

uhm...UP is gone? Since, when?

That's sad to hear. Despite the ping UnrealPlayground's servers were one of the few that were really impressive. I mean having upwards of 14 players on a CTF map is a totally different experience. I do know they relied on donations to keep the servers up though. Seeing the new generation of selfish UT players I'm not surprised this sort of approach hit a brick wall.

Last edited:
uhm...UP is gone? Since, when?

They are gone in a sense that they don't review maps, even the old reviews could not be found anymore :(. Forums are still running (don't know about the servers though) and maps can still be downloaded from there.
But (I'm guessing here) in time, UP could evolve into something bigger (let’s hope) because if you open their page you can see the "beta" tag along the name.
I see two possibilities happening here:
1. This is really a beta and in time we will se a fully functional UP again (nice).
2. This tag lays here who knows how long and they simply forgot to remove it (auch that would be sad)

Last edited:

Homeslice

A mapper not in the zone
Wow, overwhelming support for us all around.

I just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all of you for sticking with us for the past 6 1/2 years that Insite was around, and for at least attempting to read my not-so-clear reviews for the last 5 years that I was around. I've seen many members come and go, but without them all, Insite wouldn't have gone as long as it did. But I was one of, I'm sure, many who hoped great things from UT3 and found myself utterly disappointed for lack of a better term. Seeing all these great communities die out make me real sad. I just hope that we don't all officially lose all hope and waste away from this. It's been fun for such a long time and I am glad I was able to be a part of it. Thanks to all.

MeanyMortal

They call me Berjj
Oct 2, 2004
Sweden
UP is alive yet, but they don't review maps any longer. They haven't done so for the last two years or so if I remember correctly. There aren't as many people there as there used to be either, and few seem willing to join. Those of us still there however seem determined to stay. Maps are still being uploaded and donations keep rolling in at a steady pace.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
:eek:

Insite is gone? But...but...

:( :( :(

*sigh*

I wrote a couple reviews as well, back in the good ol' days. I felt - and still feel - that the long, hard, voluntary work of the mappers is usually taken far too much taken for granted. My way to show that appreciation was by a well-written yet honest review. Insite was by far the best map review site I've ever seen (not that the list is that huge, but you get the idea). Very sad to see it go...but I have to admit you guys did a terrific job. :tup:

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Well I've felt this coming for a while now, UT3 was a disappointment, and even more dissapointing is the lack of good community maps, there's very little joy in reviewing ****ty maps unless you're sadistic. Well hopefully once more people start releasing some good maps interest in UT3 Insite will open its doors again, but even that seems like an unlikely possibility.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Very bad and sad new I dont want imagine what people ( newcomers, older players and so on ut community players) will think only reading that terrible new...Is the best site for reading great reviews ( good job anyway guys)

Well I've felt this coming for a while now, UT3 was a disappointment, and even more dissapointing is the lack of good community maps...

if there is not good community maps perphards that would be the huge learning curve using the current Unreal Editor, more details, more time for create an decent map ( if this isn't so good as those made by pros), and another things related with map creation? The only exception is the HOLP pack those are maps with an style ut99 hardcore with no enough details.

Cooloola you could create that kind of maps (holp pack for example..) dunno im not a mapper but it seems that it don't need too perfection and detail for make a good an fun map.

I think this kind of things ( shut down a site like Insite ) would be due ut3 though a playable game is very incomplete and most related servers browser. Im keeping my faith in Epic in fixing slowly that incomplete game... for me that is the only fail and is recognized by Epic long time ago and I only stay in waiting to finish this game and time will see.

Good lucky with the insite team I hope you come back with that great reviews I will miss you a lot!

Last edited:

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
To bad..

Nalicity, Insite..
It seems the ut community is changing..
It reminds me of my old naburhood...
The buildings are redone, the park had a makeover,
only elderly people now live there..

Things change, even online.
And thats good, as long as something better comes out of it...
But will we ever see something like nalicity and insite again?
Almost every email I got for a job, came trough beyond/nali/insite..
They noticed my maps, and contacted me after visiting my website that was in the readme...

I think they have done a big deal for the community..
I just hope that somewhere in the future, when my arms are fixed.. I can map again and upload them to a website like nalicity or insite.

big hug for everyone @ insite and nalicity :)