Titanfall

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I have to say, the beta impressed the hell out of me. More than any shooter I've played in a long time, this game REALLY emphasizes movement, and it feels, as a result, very fresh and interesting. The infantry portion is entirely about running, jumping, double jumping, wall running, dodging in and out and taking quick, on the move shots, and it works really well for that. The mech portions are much more plodding (it is a giant robot), but still emphasize movement, though it's harder to be nimble and requires more strategy (managing shields, arsenals of rocket barrages, dashes), it still places quite a premium on movement and positioning in a way I found extremely satisfying.

I DO wish that infantry took a little bit more damage (3-5 bullets and you're down) to give it a more UT feel, but overall I think it's a hell of a lot of fun.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I DO wish that infantry took a little bit more damage (3-5 bullets and you're down) to give it a more UT feel, but overall I think it's a hell of a lot of fun.
This would be especially interesting now that reloading means losing the rest of the ammo in that magazine, discouraging obsessive reloading. In contrast to COD, now you're more likely to run into people who don't have a full magazine loaded and ready to spray at you. Especially for players who plan (and can) go on more lengthy killing sprees.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
It looks like they took all of the most 'meh' features from Call of Duty and MechWarrior Online and slapped them together to make this game. It's a nice game to look at, but I was already bored with the concept after watching the first couple minutes of a gameplay video.

If you could build and load-out your own mech from scratch like in MWO, I might be interested.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
This game very well may be the second coming of Halo. We all said the exact same things. It's not that revolutionary etc. I also saw the same type of praise for Halo too. So this well could be another one of those generational games that the majority of this board just does't enjoy.

The question is if it has longevity. The creeps or whatever they call them are a key part of the gameplay. I think farming bots for powerups will get old quickly. Kills for powerups always ends badly. We did similar stuff in UT, like the adrenaline in 2k3 or the becoming huge in that big UT3 patch. This kind of mechanic always ended up having a negative impact on gameplay. They've tried to balance it with titanfall, but I still feel it's a flawed mechanic to begin with.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Personally, I'm just not interested in trying it if it's an Origin exclusive. Maybe I'll buy it when it is 75% off on a third party site someday. I was pretty excited for it at first, but EA ruins everything. The most recent videos and statements from the devs make me think the novelty will wear off quickly and people will be back to CoD or BF before you know it

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I played the beta. I would describe it very much as a copy of Call of Duty, with the ability to jump a bit higher and with Hawken mechs dodgily slapped over the top where kill streaks used to be.

It's a reasonably polished game, but I don't particularly rate the gameplay. The UT/Quake allusions were certainly a load of bullshit, but I think we knew that anyway.

I feel like the Respawn guys had the opportunity to break away from years of iterating on the same old shit under Activision, so it utterly fucking baffles me as to why they'd just choose to iterate on the same old shit yet again.

Personally, I'm just not interested in trying it if it's an Origin exclusive.

It's Origin exclusive (it's EA, what do you expect?).

The question is if it has longevity. The creeps or whatever they call them are a key part of the gameplay. I think farming bots for powerups will get old quickly. Kills for powerups always ends badly. We did similar stuff in UT, like the adrenaline in 2k3 or the becoming huge in that big UT3 patch. This kind of mechanic always ended up having a negative impact on gameplay. They've tried to balance it with titanfall, but I still feel it's a flawed mechanic to begin with.

It can never be balanced - I've always referred to this mechanics as 'King-Making'. Just like in a game like draughts / checkers, once you start giving a winning player additional advantages, you're just consolidating their winning position and making it much more difficult for the losing player to make a comeback.

Ideally, you should never award a winning player additional bonuses in a game like this - but you should also not try to even the odds by trying to rebalance it either, as that makes it feel more like an unfair punishment for playing well....

If you could build and load-out your own mech from scratch like in MWO, I might be interested.

The key here is a) lack of customisation and b) the titans are just too prevalent and c) they actually don't have a gameplay impact outside of generating cheap kills. The result is a big lack of attachment to the vehicle and most players just treat it like a throwaway toy or a CoD kill streak. Ideally, you need to have a high level of personalisation and you need to strictly control how often the vehicle can be used; if it could only be called in once every X games instead of X times every game, and they belonged to a player, they'd be used a lot more cautiously.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's Origin exclusive (it's EA, what do you expect?).
Oh, I know. There are a ton of people trying to excuse Respawn's involvement with EA by saying it's an EA Partners title (actually, this it the last EA Partners title) and that all of the creative control and decision making is Respawn's. Well, we know that isn't true because what developer in their right mind would release exclusively on Origin?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
That doesn't mean that's what the developer wanted to do.

(also a billion dollars worth is an understatement, it's shipped a billion dollars worth per year since Modern Warfare).

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I also question whether they really wanted to make a carbon copy of Call of Duty with some added robot glitter.

I don't think they wanted that and that's why they didn't.

I am no fanboy of the game or anything, but these ridiculous statements are just wrong. This game seems to create passion on both sides; people love it to death or hate it. The only problem is that the side of haters hasn't come up with a very convincing or objective argument.

I think it is a fun game. 100% original? No, but new enough to be fun and frankly, with myself not being a big CoD fan, I like the change. What I didn't hate about CoD was the general gunplay and that being in Titanfall is fine by me. It wasn't the 'broken' part of the CoD experience, so incorporating that aspect is a solid idea. The game is vastly different from CoD.

If it isn't your cup of tea then fine, but admit that your arguments are just opinion and worth no more that that. If someone actually had some credible, insightful comments and not these simple, low-hanging fruit-type comparative thoughts, well, we might have a discussion.

How about an actual analysis of the game instead of saying what it reminds you of as a basis for hating it? So you don't like CoD...we get that...now what about Titanfall?

The problem with us old gamers....jaded, been there, done that...never satisfied. Sure, I was around when gaming was new, fresh and original...there was a host of things that had never been done before. Those days are gone and now everything is ripping off something. We have a choice then to either hate things because they are what they are or try to get some fresh eyes and not ask developers to re-invent the wheel every time, but allow them to tweak, alter and morph ideas. There is nothing new under the sun folks so stop throwing your arms up in disgust every time we are faced with that truth.

You want to be upset? Buy the new Thief game. :)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
I don't get the Thief hate? i like it. Not as much as the other Thiefs, but i dig it. I hope titanfall has their own competitive "Promod" like Cod 4 did. That's about the only good thing about Cod i like.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Titanfall was boring when I played it. Not because of a lack of content, but the gameplay felt so incredibly retread that I've lost all interest in the game.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
It looks fun, so I pre-ordered it. Ya know, FYI.

I'm probably going to get it. I'm trying to get some of the other Ci guys to get it as well. Would be good to get some of the old gang back together again for some fps fun.

Personally, I'm just not interested in trying it if it's an Origin exclusive.

You know as well as I do that you'll have it by the weekend. :p

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'm probably going to get it. I'm trying to get some of the other Ci guys to get it as well. Would be good to get some of the old gang back together again for some fps fun.

That sounds good. I grabbed it to play with a co-worker who just recently built a new PC, but the more the merrier! :)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk

Yeah, good luck. I thought you guys would be all over Planetside but now I'm convinced this forum just hates fun. I will wait until I see evidence that it's actually being played.