OpenGL

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
There are only very few video card to be considered. Essentially it's only Nvidia and ATI ... and maybe Kyro. Dan should manage to write the necessary OpenGL extensions for these. He'll start with Nvidia, then ATI, then Kyro, then the rest, if there is any.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
If U2 is optimized for D3D, then Voodoo3/4/5 owners might actually get away being able to run it, as the Voodoo D3D component is pretty decent. They'd still have to turn almost everything down, though.

Going only with D3D does leave Linux users out in the cold, and I don't really think it's fair that they be treated as an afterthought. I think that OpenGL will be included, but D3D will be the "primary" method of running the game.

Apr 29, 2001
Visit site
Why isn't that fair?

I know this post kinda steers this thread off topic a bit, and for that I apologize, but it seems the regulars here that "own" this forum (or so I am to understand from their posts) don't like people to start new threads even if you are taking it in a new direction. :(

Anyway, why is it unfair to leave Linux users out in the cold?

Anybody who knows enough about Linux to actually use it as their only OS knew when they installed it that retail development support for Linux is EXTREMELY low. You don't install Linux and run it as your only OS becuase you want to play all the latest games. You install it to get away from some dreamed up evil empire that wants to control you and your bank account.

Sure, Linux users have every right to hope that cool games might come to Linux, but they also have to accept the fact that in most cases this won't be the case.

I see quite often alternative OS users complaining about the lack of games, and even DEMANDING through petitions and what not that Game X be ported to thier OS. (this includes Mac users) What right do they have to demand that devlopers port apps or games to their OS? They knew when they chose that OS that they were going to be limited as to what comes out for it.

If a developer feels there's enough potential to justify a port to another OS, more power to them. However, it's hard enough to make a game for one OS, let alone trying to keep it friendly for another OS. Also, why should the users of the vastly more popular OS lose out on features because those features couldn't be made available to other operating systems?

As far as I know, and it is stated on the official Unreal 2 site, www.unreal2.com , Unreal 2 will be Windows only. There's nothing wrong with that, as a matter of fact, I like it that way. Make the game as great as it can be on Windows, then and only then, IF it can be ported to another OS so be it.

If you make the choice to use an alternative OS, then you should understand and accept everything that comes along with that decision.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Re: Why isn't that fair?

Originally posted by Dances with Flak
As far as I know, and it is stated on the official Unreal 2 site, www.unreal2.com , Unreal 2 will be Windows only.
u2.com only says: "At this time, the PC is the only announced platform." Note that it says PC, not Windows. And note that it says at this time.

Tim Sweeney confirmed that U2 will have Linux dedicated server support out of the box. But no OpenGL, thus no client. :hmm:

In interviews and forum posts Legend have made clear that their priority clearly is to get the game running smoothly on a PC in D3D. This, and only this is what they are aiming for for initial release. I don't have a problem with that, because various dev team members have also stated that after the initial release ports to OpenGL and even Mac are possible and even likely. These communities will just have to wait a little longer. :hmm:

I trust in Dan Vogel to get the OpenGL drivers ready soon after initial release. Lots of people will thank him for that. :):tup:

Myrmidion

Re-edifying the post-panarchic duodonemy
Jan 28, 2001
Heh, my family use Linux for our Internet connection, I don't think we're running from any evil empire :)

It's more stable then Windows, in many ways, it's more powerful then Windows, and I can quite easily alter it to fit MY specifications perfectly. It hasn't crashed in the year or two that we've had it up, not once :)

Apr 29, 2001
Visit site
Timex

My watch has been running for 5 years with no downtime. That doesn't mean I'm going to demand that Epic port Unreal 2 to it.

Seriously though, Linux is cool and I'm glad it exists. People can, have, and continue to debate its strength against Windows and Mac OS. I don't care to. I never said Linux sux, so don't get offended.

My only point is that 99% of games come out on Windows, MAYBE 50% Mac OS, at best 10% Linux. You know this before you choose Mac OS or Linux, so live with your choice.

I'm in no way trying to make slight of either OS, they both have their strengths and without them Microsoft would have a monopoly. Then I wouldn't be able to choose to use Windows as I have done now, I'd be forced to use Windows.... which right now I am not.

Status
Not open for further replies.