UE3 - UT3 Both pathing problems.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Bot pathing problems.

From: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?p=485530#post485530

I used lots of path nodes and set the "vehicle preferred path" and "vehicle blocked" where I thought it was necessary.

I'm having these problem though.

rev_problems.PNG

They also like to stand around in the base near the flag sometimes. Which is pretty annoying as well.

Last edited:

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Maybe you can tweak it with giving some nodes more importance? Add pickups to the paths?

Getting bots to not abandon vehicles is probably impossible, they are just plain retarded bots :p

Also try setting bot difficulty up a notch, novice and average bots tend to be even more retarded than anything else.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
Use showdebug while spectating to see what they're thinking, at least some of the 'annoying' parking/ standing around will be them going on defense, particularly if you've placed defensepoints.
Also have you specified vehicleparkingspots for the objectives?

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
They just stand around when they are on "defense" how do I make them patrol or something.

And what are vehicle parking spots?

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
I've taken a closer look at the bots. It seems to me that the bots think that they are close to the enemy base because they are only separated by that cliff and as they walk around they think they are getting farther from it.

It's kind of hard to explain but I'm trying to find a good solution.

Also how exactly do you use the "extra cost" modifier in the pathnodes. What exactly do the values do.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
Vehicle parking spots are in the objective properties somewhere, used to tell a bot 'get out here and proceed on foot', look down the bottom of the list of properties, under 'objective' mb, you'll find an array you can populate with a bunch of pathnodes to this effect.

Biohazard, your guess is incorrect. Extra cost makes a bot less likely to use a path. They generally seek to use the lowest cost (shortest) route to somewhere. If they use it too much and youd rather they spread out, you add cost to one of the pathnodes in the chain. However really this method isnt particularly easy to use, the values to enter is just guesswork. The 'approved' method, as you mentioned, is to add juicy items along the less used paths to give them an incentive to go down them.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Yeah. Not enough people really play custom maps so generally it's just me and my friends at a LAN playing against a team of bots or against each other.

I plan on beta testing this map this weekend with my friends. They are at college but there both coming home for the weekend so we can LAN. :D

And the extra cost thing should work hopefully. I'll try it out.

edit-

What do the different color paths mean?

Last edited:

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Update:

This is a video showing exactly what's wrong.
My voice is really quiet for some reason. Just turn it up I guess.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Ok forgive me if someone has answer your question, I just don't have time to read all posts, but you problem is in the distance of the path. By defult bots will always take the shortest path to help bots take longer paths you have to try to make the distance of all paths equal. To do this select some of the nodes that you have outside that walkway and in the tunnel Set the "Extra cost value of allot of these nodes to like 512 or even 1024 (it doesn't have to be multiples I just do that out of habit).

if the number is too high you will find they will only take the outside path so just decrease the numbers. also there is a code to increase bot skill "setbotskill 8" I don't remember the code but find that out because the default low skill yes they are retarded and do dumb things.

PS the values i told you there 512 etc are unreal distance units this is why I talk about path distance, adding these increases the distance, making the path LESS favorable.

hope that helps.

Last edited:

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
I'm still having problems even after extensive testing with the extra cost stuff.

Any way to do a kimset system where it forces a bot to take a specific path when they enter a vehicle?

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Urm I think you can force a bot to go to a specific location. But that is probably not what you want as it would ignore anything else on the way. At least as far as I know. As proven above I don't know too much about bot pathing.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Yeah. I wouldn't even bother with bot pathing if it weren't for the size of this map. It's pretty big and needs a couple of bots in the server to be properly playable.

pcride2003

Nov 27, 2009
Your screen shot shows many paths for the bots, the reason they crash into each other is because its a tangled mess. Look at how many white line intersections you have. The bots get confused when there are more than 2 paths.

Where the bots don't go could be that your terrian or map is hard to get to, steep hills and small tunnels you need to lay out weapons and goodies to get the bots down the path.

Keep bot pathing simple, I normally do a grid of flight paths for anything flying so its all equal, for pathing I do single paths. Keep in mind weapon lockers and other things act as a bot path, so there is no need to have an "Apple" right next to a vehical or weapon.

Clean up your pathing and you should be good.

pcride2003

Nov 27, 2009
Also you can use force path and make a bot go to the next path. YOu do this by linking 2 paths together.