UE3 - UT3 Export meshes from UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thewiruz

Jun 10, 2001
Stockholm
thewiruz.blogg.se
Hello i need to know if there is a way to export static meshes from UT 3 so i can study them in 3ds max?I just need to know how they do.Im trying to make a building but it fecks up all the time

InAction

I make things move
Jan 21, 2008
Just because no one answers your question doesn't mean the forum is dead.

Chilla för fasen. ;)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
If this is ever a doable thing...

There's a way to force export certain things such as emitters out of cooked packages. But I am afraid, meshes don't seem to be exportable. I hardly think you can ever export anything else but emitters and other silly actors. No things such as textures and what you need.

And then if you can, you'll have to get the proper file type in order to get it inside 3DS. And maybe the UV won't get exported, ETC ETC ETC. Anyway, try it out if you want to. You'd have to export it into the package with the name of your map so it's seen as uncooked. From there MAYBE you'd be able to export it, no clue.

I may be wrong though, but this is what I experienced so far in my UED"4" adventures and lots of forum browsing.

Last edited:

Thewiruz

Jun 10, 2001
Stockholm
thewiruz.blogg.se
Hmm greedily epic!!

Why not just remove the editor aswell,
Guess i have to learn Another editor with less locks to find out how they made the things,Unreal editor use to be good until UT3

Thanks!Hope they crack the ****

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
If UT3 works like 2k4 load up the map, Right Click the mesh - Edit - Copy. Hit File New and Right Click - Edit - Paste Here. Then just do File - Export and export the map as an obj file. You can then open the mesh in max although expect a few normals to be flipped... btw, just cos you cant use Google or cant find a way to do something is not a valid reason to support piracy.

{uX}l`VampyrCeil: Is the Unreal Editor really going to be available for Mac and Linux users this time around? Also, will it be able to import/export from/to third-party applications (specifically Blender 3D)?

[Epic]DrSiN: I don't believe there are plans for a Mac/Linux editor.
[Epic]DrSiN: Jeff?
[Epic]IctusBrucks: the editor imports .ase files for static mesh geometry
[Epic]IctusBrucks: the editor can export static meshes as .obj or .stl, so any program that can read those formats and export .ase can work well with UE3
[EPIC]WarTourist: Dunno...linux game exe in the box and mac version soon after. Not sure how the editor works

Quoted from Ubuntu Forums post on UT3 and Linux... so I guess there must be a way.

Last edited:

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
Epic took out the ability to export things out of cooked maps. This is to save their game content from people ripped off from others.

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
Epic took out the ability to export things out of cooked maps. This is to save their game content from people ripped off from others.

So no more Edit - Copy - Paste? Damn its so much easier to just open a map you saw a useful mesh in and just copy it... saves having to check properties to find out which package the mesh was in :(

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
So no more Edit - Copy - Paste? Damn its so much easier to just open a map you saw a useful mesh in and just copy it... saves having to check properties to find out which package the mesh was in :(

Well you should still be able to do that but you can not export out of unreal and open say in 3ds Max.

However unreal 3.0 makes it super easy to find the mesh in the GB (Generic Browser) all you have to do is hit the magnifying glass that is next to the mesh in its properties and it will show you the mesh in the GB.