Epic commitment to UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have given you perfectly good examples, like SS2 versus Bioshock, and Classic R6 games versus the latest cross-platform R6 games, thease are perfectly hands on examples, and its even UE3 so you should know of them... and thus, it is consolitis.
Those AREN'T good examples though. How can you compare how different games do different things? SS2 and Bioshock aren't even the same SERIES, let alone the same type of games.

Once you leave the same game or the same series of games, you can't compare anymore because there is no telling what they might have added were they to release the game on PC if they are console exclusive and vice versa. That's like telling me that Bioshock has bad gameplay because it's not the same as UT or that Quake sucks because it's no Tribes. These "common trends" you constantly talk about can't possibly exist under the conditions that you've stipulated.
If they "co-exist on PC and console" then they are cross-platform, and not subject to comparison, as i said, you need to compare PC-exclusive titles to similar console/cross-platform titles before you see the differences, comparing the same game to itself wont tell you anything meaningfull.
Again, try comparing something like SS2 to Bioshock, one is PC exclusive the other cross-platform, and the latter is a spiritual successor the the former so the comparison will be apt, the differences you see between thease two titles is what we referr to as "consolitis", are you following me this far?
And your results won't either. Additionally, you have yet to describe what these differences are in any way at all. You've single handedly written off the settings/options menus in your previous posts. So what is it about these other areas of the game that are lacking in choice on consoles?
How is this even up for debate anymore? Epic themselves have admitted what happened, they had the UI ready on console, but needed to slap togeather an UI for the PC really quick before release, this is fact is it not? that is what they told us happened in an interview not long ago, agreed?

Thus, the UI is infact a victim of cross-platform development (this is also covered by the broad term "consolitis"), had UT3 been PC exclusive, had there only been one UI in the works from the very start, this would not have happened, this is why so many of us old timey PC players dislike cross-platform games so much, there will allways be compromises made in them, even if it is a result of time constraint.
WRONG. Out and out wrong. Entirely wrong. Not even close to right, it's so wrong. From what I've been able to gather, the entire UI for UT3 (for ALL platforms) was redone less than three months before the demo came out. And Epic has only said that they threw the UI together quickly, not that the PC UI was made to match the console versions. They were all designed the same. And the design isn't even being discussed here (graphically) anyway. The console versions of the game don't have nearly as many options as the PC version does.
How can i? we seem to be talking about 2 different things! and your constant dismissal of anything i say as merely "you just see what you want to see" is hardly a healthy foundation for a rational and frank discussion.. if we could please end up on the same page, perhabs we could bring some meat to the table and have a mature exchange of opinions.
If I'm talking about something different than you, it's because you have not made a coherent statement about what your point actually is. You keep saying that the differences are obvious, but the only point you've been able to make about the UT3 UI is the fisheye effect on the text, which, as far as I am concerned, is a bad design on any platform and has nothing to do with consolitis.

So maybe you can start by giving me something more than "the effects of consolitis are obvious" and tell me something that is NOT wholesale subjective for what makes the UT3 menu more consolized than any other game? Even Uwindows could work on a controller, for pete's sake.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I just want to thank all of you who have been constantly harping on Epic about the fracking UI. For about the last nine years or so I have had an Unreal game on my PC, but now I seriously am considering uninstalling all Unreal products. All this nonstop whining and complaining that was once belonging primarily to the console kiddies (mostly young XBoxers) has now become a staple of the PC crowd. Honestly, all this whining and complaining has made feel as though I have no place here or on any of my old haunts. The way I see it, if you're gonna whine here you're gonna whine on the servers, so I have no reason to play online at all.

This hurts me to no end, but no matter how much I try to ignore it, the constant whining seems to it crop up in almost every thread I wander into. Jeebus frackin' crimony sakes people, will it hurt any of you just give it a GD break for a spell? It's been six months already and the sh1t got old five months ago. We get it, you hate the UI. I don't like it either, but I'm not constantly whining about how Epic fracked me over. I spent my $60 on the CE and I have no regrets.

The only reason I am not uninstalling the games today is because I want to give my son a chance put in his two cents on this decision. He'll be the ONLY reason I keep the games installed.

Dissent is the foundation of all progress, the "whining", as you so eloquently put it, is actually a very natural and beutifull thing, it means 1) that people care about this game, and 2) they care enough that they want to make it better.

In other words, there is ample base here for rational and positive discussion about UT3, what could be done with it, how it could be better, and how we could all enjoy it more, you need only drop your guards for a moment to see it, and inspire it.

But so far, you and many more have chosen not to do so, but to inspire strife and subjugation instead, by pointing the finger, and sharping your tongues with words like "whiner", and treating every complaint, caution or pet peeve you encounter as a vicious attack that must be delt with in the stricktest manner, instead of the small issue or aside that it probably is.
You have helped create this mess, you are as involved in it as i am, you share an equal blame, end of story.

How can you people expect this community to be healthy and positive, when all you do is attack thouse who you do not agree with? when you dismiss the opinions of anyone you don't like the tone of, and respond with childish name calling?
And thouse little passive agressive tags and one line posts people do so enjoy making, how are they helping this community?

And mind you, i do not exempt myself from any of this, i know full well that i have done my bit carrying fuel to the fires, but atleast i am honest about it, i know what i have done wrong.

Seriously, all of you, after having read this post, indulge me, try this little experiment:

The next post you see, whose content you do not agree with, try replying to it with intrest, ask why the poster see's things this way instead of attacking him, try to be helpfull if you can, be neutral and allow his opinion to exist without it beeing an affront to your own, ask what changes they would like to see made instead of shooting them down, see what happens, see what kind of discussion you can have with this person.

And if you are not willing to try that, you have no right to cry about the state of this community, you are part of the problem.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
"I WANT TO MAKE THE GAME BETTER, SO IM GOING TO BITCH FOR 6+ MONTHS AFTER THE GAMES RELEASE."

If you want to be healthy and positive, be patient and maybe, then maybe Epic will see that its community is not full of spoilt whiners with no care for the games actual content and they may try to improve upon the UI.

Edit:

Look, many of us do not like the UI and the few options it gives us, but we try to enjoy the game as we can and not bring up a flame war in every single thread. If you want the community to be healthy sit tight, make some mods, and encourage epic on patches. Say "thanks for the latest patch" rather than "BUT THE UI ISNT FIXED EPIC DOES NOT CARE FOR UT3 ANYMORE."

If it is too much to you to not spend those 5 minuets in the UI in agony, and that it somehow impairs you from playing the game so Instead of playing you go to the forums and find a thread to ruin then just stop. If you are not playing UT because of the UI then just stop coming here. Please. Let us enjoy ourselves you go enjoy your time the way you want to. Stop wasting our time. Stop wasting YOUR time. If you don't like UT3 just go. Hang out in other sections of the forum. Just not here. please. The door is the back button. And don't slam on your way out.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Thats totally the reason why a third patch will be released...

"OH BUT NIGHTMARE IT IS TAKING TOO LONG"

No it is not. Things take much longer to develop these days.

Yeah because another patch will totally get those player counts up.

Maybe I'm concerned because the patch still won't help player counts.

Last edited:

furby

Mar 14, 2008
Campgrounds G1E
I agree. Epic is trying, but they have done themselves in with UT3. Nothing much more they can do if people don't want to play it.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Those AREN'T good examples though. How can you compare how different games do different things? SS2 and Bioshock aren't even the same SERIES, let alone the same type of games.

I would say they are, in that Bioshock was made as a spiritual successor to SystemShock 2, and they play very alike, and use the same mechanics in their gameplay.
But ok, how would you classify them as different? as in, so different they should not be compared? i am unsure why you would feel this way.

Once you leave the same game or the same series of games, you can't compare anymore because there is no telling what they might have added were they to release the game on PC if they are console exclusive and vice versa. That's like telling me that Bioshock has bad gameplay because it's not the same as UT or that Quake sucks because it's no Tribes. These "common trends" you constantly talk about can't possibly exist under the conditions that you've stipulated.

I would disagree, i feel we can make some apt comparisons as long as we are talking about similar games, for instance, we could compare UT99 to Quake3, thease are very similar games when looking at the big picture, fast paced sci-fi arena shooters with a similar premise, but they chose some different ways of doing things, and that can be discussed, and we can draw some conclutions from that.
Ofcourse, that is not a good example in this debate as they are both PC games, we could instead choose to compare something like.. GTA3 and Mafia, again thease are two games with a very similar premise, the theme is ofcourse different, thus there is no comparisons to be made there, but we can certainly make some comparisons about how they chose to handle similar aspects of the games.
Lets compare the PC-port of GTA3 to Mafia, since thease are the clousest, we can certainly draw some conclutions here, take something like controls for instance, both try to simulate a world where we can do many of the same things, you are a thug who needs to roam about a city and engage in criminal activity both on foot and in cars, and one thing we can conclude is that Mafia does have more options for controls, there are more possible functions, and the control methods of the PC are better supported in Mafia, the PC-port of GTA3 could certainly have had such things, but Rockstar chose not to include them.

That alone could just be a fluke though, but if you see something like that often, a visible pattern emerges, a trend, and that is what i am seeing.

But it seems we do agree on some level however, when you say "because there is no telling what they might have added were they to release the game on PC if they are console exclusive and vice versa" are you not agreeing that there is a noticeable difference between PC and console games? because that is at the very heart of this discussion, if there is infact a difference (and i would say there is), then can we not also say that some games can be "colsolized" or "PCified" when we see thease differences cross the border and end up in games on the other platform?

As for comparing Bioshock and UT, no, that would not make sense, that is why i have stressed that one should compare similar games, such as i did with GTA and Mafia, they need to be along the same lines before we can conclude anything meaningfull, that is a given.

And your results won't either. Additionally, you have yet to describe what these differences are in any way at all. You've single handedly written off the settings/options menus in your previous posts. So what is it about these other areas of the game that are lacking in choice on consoles?

I have offered examples though, like the inventory system from SS2 beeing abscent in Bioshock, that is a common example actually, it is exactly the sort of feature that often does not end up in console games, because of restrictions on avalible buttons, infact, controls as a whole is a prominent theme here because of the difference in avalibillity, i am sure you could think of some examples yourself.
But i'll gladly add more, for instance, up untill quite recently, the dashboard view was often abscent in console racing titles, even in titles where it would make alot of sense to have this more realist camera angle, whereas they have often been standard in similar PC titles, even sometimes in the PC port of the titles, or part of the same series, apparently this was often omitted because consoles had a hard time rendering thease extra polygons, and later it became more of an institution that console racers where driven from behind the car or the bumper, and this institution seems to be alive and well to this day.
We can also look at multiplayer support, this is fairly standard in PC games, allways have been, even in singleplayer games there is often a small MP component you can play, look for instance at FEAR or STALKER, both are SP games but the MP is there anyway, maybe mostly because it is tradition and expected, the same was not true for older consoles though, as they lacked internet access, but again this became somewhat an institution, or tradition, that singleplayer games on the console did not need MP support, and to this day many of them do not have it (ofcourse we could argue if this is a good or bad thing, but that is besides the point), and alot of thease new cross platform SP games do not have it either.

This is running rather long though, wall of text long, so i'll let it rest here for now ;)

WRONG. Out and out wrong. Entirely wrong. Not even close to right, it's so wrong. From what I've been able to gather, the entire UI for UT3 (for ALL platforms) was redone less than three months before the demo came out. And Epic has only said that they threw the UI together quickly, not that the PC UI was made to match the console versions. They were all designed the same. And the design isn't even being discussed here (graphically) anyway. The console versions of the game don't have nearly as many options as the PC version does.

Ahh, but then we do actually agree!

Looky here: "They were all designed the same.", my point exactly! this is what i am saying, what we got was a "one size fits all" UI, that worked on both versions of the game, what would have been better was two different designs that where optimized for their intended platform.

And: "The console versions of the game don't have nearly as many options as the PC version does.", indeed! and that's pretty typical would you not agree?

If I'm talking about something different than you, it's because you have not made a coherent statement about what your point actually is. You keep saying that the differences are obvious, but the only point you've been able to make about the UT3 UI is the fisheye effect on the text, which, as far as I am concerned, is a bad design on any platform and has nothing to do with consolitis.

So maybe you can start by giving me something more than "the effects of consolitis are obvious" and tell me something that is NOT wholesale subjective for what makes the UT3 menu more consolized than any other game? Even Uwindows could work on a controller, for pete's sake.

I have certainly tried to give you examples, such as SS2 and Bioshock, but the honest truth is that a term as broad as "consolitis" is so broad it is very hard to define and explain, it is not a techical term that we can analyse like a scientific law of nature, it is by its very nature subjective, and has more to do with established institutions than anything else really, but i think we can start with what you say here: "Uwindows could work on a controller, for pete's sake.".

That seems to be where we miss eachother in the translation, because the issue of "consolitis" is not if it works on the platform, but if it works well and lives up the expectations, because both systems have long running institutions and traditions that sepperate them.

Lets just take Uwindows then, it is true that you could opperate it on a console, but would it be good? no, it would be awefull and fidgety, if you like most people have the TV at distance from where you sit and play it would be very hard to see what you where doing, and the small menu items would be hard to select with the analog, it would be a real PITA, a classic example of "PCitis" you could say.

Likewise, we can look at the PC menu for UT3 and say "is it good for this platform? does it work well with my HID's and my screen?", and to that i would have to say no, there is much wasted space here, since i and most PC users sit no more than an arms leangth from my screen, and it runs with a clearer picture than a TV, i could easilly process more items per menu screen than what i get here, and they could be even smaller to allow space for more options, and that would mean browsing fewer menu's which would be good, and likewise with the mouse in hand, it would be no problem for me to manipulate more items on screen, since it is so easy to accurately select them.

But this type of menu works well on a console, for the reverse reasons i just listed, and thus i am left with the feeling that it is a console menu, it is better optimized for the console than it is the PC.

That is fairly understandable i should hope?

But to clouse, i will adress this:
Sir_Brizz said:
So far, though, for the most part I've found that "consolization" simply means "we don't like this menu design so it's obviously made for consoles".

Since this seems to be your take on the term "consolitis" we need to dispell this before we can move on.

The term should certainly not be used to describe something you feel is "bad", i have played some pretty bad PC-exclusive games in my time, and i will referr to them only as "bad", not as "consolized", bad is just plain bad on any platform.

The term comes into play with cross-platform games, when you come across something and say to yourself "Meh, this would have been done different/better if the game had been PC-exclusive", that is where you can apply the word "consolized".

The term is often used in a negative way, but really, the feature in question does not have to be "bad", it just has to make the user feel that the feature in question is not properly optimized for the platform he is playing on.

It is an entirely subjective term, this is true, and therefor it is very hard to describe, but the above probably sums it up best, "consolitis" or "PCitis" is when something does not feel like it was properly optimized for your platform, when you feel that compromises was made to make it work on both platforms at the same time, or that the feature was not made for your platform in the first place.

And that is why i feel consolitis comes into play with the UT3 menu, it feels like a compromise, not as something tailor made for the PC.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Dissent is the foundation of all progress
Maybe, but the constant complaining is not. Seriously, if you guys don't like the support provided by Epic, then why do you bitch? Why not just move the f*ck on instead of letting the rest of the world know how much you like to complain? My only serious complaint with UT3 is the constant whining. Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say "dissenting."

And if you are not willing to try that, you have no right to cry about the state of this community, you are part of the problem.
No, I am NOT part of the problem. I have actually done quite a bit to help the UT3 community, from posting long lists of helpful hints on the game to making add-ons to the game. What percentage of the "dissenters" can say that they've helped?

Have I pointed fingers? You better effing believe it. Strife and subjugation? I'm gonna hold back on this one. All I will say is, wow, you are creative. I don't live in your little world where "the man" is always trying to stick it to me and where the world owes me a living. And I surely do not feel as though Epic owes me anything. If you want me to point fingers, I'll do it again. Okay, how about the persons who keep using words such as consolitis and consolified? Do you really think these words provide any positive influence to help get more online players?

There is constructive feedback and then there is destructive feedback. Six months of the same old same stuff has long since become destructive feedback, no matter how well-intentioned it may be. It simply feels like whining, which is why I used the terms "whining" and "whiners." You say I should get past the criticisms and strive to help, then why don't you quit complaining? There, I said complaining. Does that sound nicer than "whining"?

But hey, if you want to engage in some destructive talk, be my guest. But I feel that it is persons like yourself who make statements such as, "Meh, i just hope that getting the Xpox version out the door means that patch production picks up the pace, v1.3 could use a shot in the arm by idle dev hands." It's comments like this that make me not afford you any credibility.

Let me be clear here, the UI needs some work. The UI aesthetics are least important to me, but better advanced options pages would be nice. The server browser is not overly useful or helpful and mid-game settings do not exist. And then we have the demo issue, but we didn't have a working demorec in UT200X for several patches. But do these issues prevent me from wanting to play the game? No they don't, nor do they impel me to tell the developer how bad the effed up every chance I get.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
Both companies (Valve and Blizzard) auto-update their games so they make small patches with relatively short period of time.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
I'd go for small patches too. It's much more optimistic for players. ;-)

I tend to agree with Brizz now about UI. I wouldn't give a **** if the UI is consolized - if it was good. It isn't especially in just a few mostly mentioned areas:
1) server browser/favorites/copy&paste...
2) lack of options
3) in-game menu

I think Epic could fix this within five months (or six because we started complaining right after the demo) and it really take a long time for UI. UI can't be that big deal. I don't want overhaul, I don't care if it's red/white with menu items poping in under mouse cursor, I want it tuned and finished. It can't take so long.

But Epic makes also other things that will bring more money than we do now. We already did. I somehow expected more from Epic post-release support although it could be worse. But I don't think that famouse Epic's support is that exceptional nowadays.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Seriously, all of you, after having read this post, indulge me, try this little experiment:

The next post you see, whose content you do not agree with, try replying to it with intrest, ask why the poster see's things this way instead of attacking him, try to be helpfull if you can, be neutral and allow his opinion to exist without it beeing an affront to your own, ask what changes they would like to see made instead of shooting them down, see what happens, see what kind of discussion you can have with this person.

too damn right! This guy for moderator! This is the standard for face to face communication, so why shouldn't the same rules apply on internet forums?

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I am not going to reply to that Crotale, it was basically just one big personal attack from start to finish.

However, this is the thing that gets to me.. you agree with the people you attack, you are not happy with the menu either.

So why not try to do something positive? instead of replying with the usuall rubbish, like "Whine thread", "Beating a dead horse", or the usual futile defenses and stalling tactics like "yeah but the UI in other games is really bad too", or all out attacks on people and their opinions, why not tell it like it is?

Say "Yes! the UI is bad, now lets see how it could be made better shall we? i think this and this should be done, what do you think?".

All you are doing with your passive agressive snide remarks and ad-hominem attacks is trolling people into posting even more of the negative junk you dont want to see, when you attack them they are forced to reply in defense of themselves and their opinion, and then we get thouse multi page negative clusterfu*k threads.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't feel like replying to all the long posts above. Suffice it to say that I'm not arguing that UT3 has an amazing UI. I simpy don't think it's all that consolized.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I am not going to reply to that Crotale, it was basically just one big personal attack from start to finish.
You responded to my original post, one that was not directed at you personally. But, somehow, you took it personally and this is where we are. Did you really think it's okay to personally attack someone and have them not respond? Yeah, sure, maybe I should have ignored you, but where's the fun in that?

Edit:/ If I thought for one minute that talking to someone on the internet would sway their opinion or help alleviate a bad situation as serious as the one we evidently have with UT3, I'd do it. But, pretty much everyone goes into any thread with pre-conceived notions and most are unwilling to yield to a different point of view. I think this little rift here is a perfect example of that.

Sorry for jumping in your chili earlier, but I figured you had it coming.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The UI has been fine for the most part ever since 1.2 came out. The only problems with it now are 1) the server browser and 2) the mid game menu. If they fix those two things, then they will have pretty much made it perfectly fine.

QFT and then some

Seriously people there is nothing wrong with the UI. Apart from what Brizz said, the only other thing that pissed me off about the UI was the exit button was in a wierd spot. But since then it has been fixed. I will admit I have done my fair share of bitching, but its on more important things like the crosshairs not being aligned properly, weapon duds, and shoddy mouse control(which is partly due to my mouse having multiple dpi's but im getting over that). I will always support the series even when this version finally dies off, but for now it will be mainly offline. Playing online, especially with the duds is just too cumbersome.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I would say they are, in that Bioshock was made as a spiritual successor to SystemShock 2, and they play very alike, and use the same mechanics in their gameplay.
But ok, how would you classify them as different? as in, so different they should not be compared? i am unsure why you would feel this way.

You really want someone to answer that?

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
Menu sucks major ass! Too consolized! Doesnt have all the options that we are used to from the previous series. Can't remember your active mutators, you have to insert them everytime you load the game. Minimal video options, loads too long, it doesnt take you back to the maps list when in playing in a current game mode. No custom bot settings. Crap crosshairs. Can't spectate in instant action, the list goes on.......

Yeah, the menu is perfect *sarcasm*

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Emmet, I have seen no postings stating the UI is perfect. But, I'm not alone in the thought that the UI is usable. But I fail to see why the constant Epic-bashing and harping o this issue is going to resolve anything. If Epic has let you down that badly, why not move on and give some other developer your hard-earned cash and time?

I guess I probably shouldn't gripe too much anyone about y'alls complaints, as I'm starting to sound like what I'm bitching about. Oh God, the IRONY!!

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Epic is committed to UT3. The game's only on patch 2, people. What would you rather have, a fixed UI, or fixed gameplay bugs? I'll take the gameplay bugs every time, and if you don't think fixing gameplay bugs is higher on the priority than fixing some small UI issues - a place where you spend relatively little time compared to in the game itself - then perhaps you should get your heads checked.

Patch 3 will contain at least one UI fix, at least - the ability to see who's on a server before you join up. (Hopefully, with at least basic scores too, a la 2k4's browser.)

How many patches did UT have? Game started at 400. Then came 402, 405, 413, 420, 425, 428, 432, and 436. That's 8 patches.

How many patches did UT2004 have? Well, let's see. The game started on 3186. Then 3204, 3236, 3270, 3323, 3339, 3355, 3369. That's 7 patches.

No UT game has ever really began to feel complete until the middle of the patching cycle. For UT, that was Patch 420 - the fourth patch. For UT2004, that was Patch 3323 - also the fourth patch.

THE FIXES WILL COME IF PEOPLE WILL JUST SHUT THE **** UP AND WAIT FOR THEM. CRYING IS THE BEST WAY TO CONVINCE EPIC THAT THEIR TIME AND MONEY ARE BETTER SPENT ELSEWHERE.

End Rant.

Last edited: