Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
I have been on a Samurai Trip recently.

It started with my fascination for the actor Toshiro Mifune. Some know him from the series Shogun as Toranaga. In 7 Samurai he played a wannabe Samurai together with famous Takashi Shimura as the leader of the group. This is definitely not an action movie. The story and the acting is great and I think you can learn a lot about the Japanese culture and how people interact. Well, it is an 1954 black and white movie, but I had a great time watching it - all relaxed with popcorn and beer. If you are looking for some great sword fighting scenes, this is not the movie you are looking for, but if you like to watch some traditional Japanese movie with subtitles, this is it.

7 Samurai - 10/10

In Sanjuro Toshiro Mifune plays the typical Antihero he is known for in his movies.
He leads a group of nine young Samurais to battle corruption in the clan. In this movie one
can see some more action, but again it is the story and the acting that I found interesting.

Sanjuro - 9/10

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
It wasn't Cloverfield type filming though. Cloverfield was all done on a handheld shaky cam. District 9 was done on "real" cameras that were actually still. When did it get spazzy?

Well I mentioned Cloverfield because the trailer just gave off that vibe. Once the movie got going it was very apparent that it was going to be different.

Also their were a few scenes where the action was edited and cut too quickly, thats what I meant by spazzy.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
The Haunting in Connecticut: Although this movie did give me a few thrills and chills here and there I would like to point out how it all just summed up to cheap and shoddy film making. Firstly, the acting, apart from Kyle Gallner, Virginia Madsen and Elias Koteas every one else just had a busted act going on. Secondly, the tone, the tension just never seems to rise beyond a point due to horrible sequencing, a lot of scenes feel out of place. Thirdly, some basic logic which is required to take any movie seriously enough is missing at many times in the movie. Finally, the cliches thrown in around the whole "true story" premise just doesnt work; I like doing some research after watching a movie so I looked it up on wikipedia and the true events stated there seem like a joke. Well, atleast Amanda Crew looked really cute but that just doesnt cut so Id say give this one a miss if youve already seen stuff like Amityville Horror and other "haunted house" movies.

akstylish

Keyboard Crasha
Jan 22, 2008
District 9: 9/10
Best movie I've watched this year in theater. Expect to see the most awesome alien weaponry.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
District 9: 9/10
Yeah I really am looking forward to seeing this one.

The English Patient-9/10

Although I've never been big on love stories this movie is awesome in about every way, in my opinion.

Based on a really rich narrative the layers of the story, the photography and the music are perfect and supported by a great cast.

When I first saw this film years ago I didn't know who Naveen Andrews was but with the success of "Lost" it put a whole different perspective on his role for me.

A brilliant and emotional film. At two and a half hours long there is not one minute that was boring.

Thoroughly enjoyed by me and the missus.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Event horizon: 5/10

Not what I expected. The movie started out just fine, but halfway it took a turn for the wrong/ridiculous. For crying out loud, was that really the best they could come up with.
The acting was also sub par, especially sadly by sam neal and laurence fishburn. I think at one point I almost fell asleep, because the story became so generic and silly. Pity. It could've been so much more. Had they not chosen for that horrendous explanation...
Ridiculous sf-horror flick. Shame.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Mr. Nice Guy 6/10

The movie very much plays to Jackie Chan's strengths. The title pretty much sums it up.

The action is inventive and fun, the script risible and the acting worse. :)

As long as your expectations aren't too great, this is one to enjoy.

District 9 - 8.5/10

Well...that certainly raped the **** out of every other "blockbuster" that came out this summer. I had the luxury of going into this one without knowing anything other than what I saw in a teaser trailer some months back and an incentive from some of my people to "See it, it's your kind of movie." Turns out they were right. And if you read my post and you have not seen it, don't read any further. I don't want to spoil anything.

You know, just when I think formula is sucking creativity dry in cinema...I get a good flick dropped on me. Last year I was spoiled by a bunch of great new films, but this year the only thing I've seen since January that totally got me up...was Up. But that's because I have a Pixar fetish. I know people love to suck JJ. Abram's cock, but he has no imagination...and when you cut all the fat off of it Star Trek was just a fun popcorn flick and nothing more. I think I've forgotten 70% of what happened in T4 already. But I hope this starts a trend for the rest of the year, as there are some movies I'm hoping turn out good. Like Inglorious Basterds.

You know, aliens, mockumentaries, and big robots have been done to death lately...and with maybe one or two exceptions they have largely been rather lame. Well this movie has all of that, and it rocks. Who would have thought I'd see a guy-in-a-robot-suit movie that would make Iron Man look tame only a year later? This movie does stuff that simply had me bug-eyed. Seriously, I had no freakin clue what was gonna happen from one scene to the next. There's some Jeff Goldblum-esque metamorphosis stuff going on that would make Cronenberg smile. There was racial subtlety without pretension for once. The setting was clever and refreshing, especially in this genre. Could you imagine how easily this one could have been ****ed up if they shot it in NYC? Using a dorky, average...and ultimately flawed protagonist (and I mean "real world" flawed, not "action hero" flawed) was marvelous. You didn't know if this guy was really the main guy until like an forty minutes into it, and the fact that I can watch a movie about aliens and not have all this preachy Hollywood subtext about morality and the human spirit was a relief. The humans in this movie are truly that. Human, all bad and normal with some moments of selflessness (but only when they can afford to be) but mostly the opposite. The aliens are similarly belligerent and hard to sympathize with aside from a few key scenes at the midpoint and toward the end. And with everything going on the movie still manages a traditional climactic ending full of kick-assery and 'splosions...and I did not even notice it was happening because I was smiling too hard.

Totally out of left field. Now I gotta check out Moon and Tarantino's new flick. But at least I can finally say the bar for my expectations finally has some height to it this summer.

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Event horizon: 5/10

Not what I expected. The movie started out just fine, but halfway it took a turn for the wrong/ridiculous. For crying out loud, was that really the best they could come up with.
The acting was also sub par, especially sadly by sam neal and laurence fishburn. I think at one point I almost fell asleep, because the story became so generic and silly. Pity. It could've been so much more. Had they not chosen for that horrendous explanation...
Ridiculous sf-horror flick. Shame.

I actually thought it was pretty good.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I actually thought it was pretty good.

Well, I just wish it had something more untangeable(?), more enigmatic or mysterious. I mean, the whole "hell" thing. That was so weak. Almost felt like a bucket of cold water.

The ships looked cool though. Many touches of alien/aliens...

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The Sin Eater (AKA The Order) 6.5/10

OK horror / mystery that intrigues more than it delivers in the end. The hook is interesting, the setting splendid and the acting fine. Worth a watch.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith 2/10

A testament to the manner in which star names attached to a project can lead to a triumph of hope over sense.

Two beautiful but unattractive individuals lead, unknown to each other, a double life as hitmen.

Essentially an updated version of Prizzi's Honor, it fails for many of the same reasons - we don't care about the fate of stone cold killers, the leads have as much chemistry as a noble gas and the comedy isn't. Nothing happening for the first 35 minutes doesn't help either.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
got around to seeing District 9 this afternoon.

gonna' have to agree with what's been said so far. this film was outstanding and completely lived up to, and then surpassed the hype. the viewer goes into the story not knowing what the hell to expect, and you never know what's going to happen next. all the teaser's leading up to this movie's release were perfect.

you think you sort of know what's going on, like this is going to be another typical news-style science fiction flick (sort of like Cloverfield). but after about 5 minutes you realize this is something different and very cool.

by far the best standalone picture I've seen since Dark Knight.
Peter Jackson delivers another unique achievement.

District 9 - 9/10