Looking for a non-FPS game suggestion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
For those that missed it.

I would absolutely not like another shooter.

That includes FO3.

WoW sucks play a real game ;)

I'm glad we agree today.

EDIT: Actually the best thing WoW sucks is your time, and if it's a severe addiction, your life, even your girlfriend if you have one. If you don't have ANYTHING better to do than leveling up again, find better gear like it's a job you pay for, then it's probably the best solution for you.

randyannie - May I suggest Grid? Check out these vids made by dub on the forums here.
[GRiD Wars] [The GRiD Epic]

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Non FPS game to recommend for online..
Er...

DOW 2 if you like RTS? I just know it lived to it's hype.

+1

It has issues, and I'm waiting for the next patch before I purchase, but the MP gameplay is phenominal. It's the only non fps game I have any interest in right now. I wouldn't really consider it slower or anything through. It's pretty intense...

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
EDIT: Actually the best thing WoW sucks is your time, and if it's a severe addiction, your life, even your girlfriend if you have one. If you don't have ANYTHING better to do than leveling up again, find better gear like it's a job you pay for, then it's probably the best solution for you.

You know, people give WoW this stigma as if it's the only thing that this happens with. It has nothing to do with the game, and everything to do with the person who exhibits this kind of behavior. They'd find some other game or activity to get buried under just like that. The game has so many players now for various reasons, and it's one of the most well known games in the world so it's become this target for people to snipe at for various reasons. "WoW killed <insert game here>." "WoW ruins your life", etc.

I find it pretty hilarious that people spend so much time going on about it and congratulate themselves for quitting the game as if its some big accomplishment and they have to let everybody know it. For people who enjoy the MMORPG gameplay, WoW offers a pretty good package and at $15/month if that's the only thing you do for gaming entertainment it's pretty cheap. Hell, when I was active in Factor 8 the dues weren't much below that for our various game, web, and voice servers (I think it was $10-12).

Yes, it can be a time consuming game but when you get down to it, any game you play is just as much of a waste of time. So, if you enjoy it, go for it. If not, good for you, too. Keep in mind, I've had my fair share of gripes with the game but I tend to come back to it because there's still a lot to enjoy, as well as new content and gameplay changes that have made me find the game more enjoyable. Given, I don't play to get mad purpz, I just like playing and I have some friends who I group up with. Anyway, that's enough of that.

Good grief.

[/2cents]

Anyway, I'd recommend Fallout 3. It's got a first-person aspect to it, but you've also got V.A.T.S. for the turn-based style gameplay, though you'll have to use both in this game. If you don't want to shoot guns, make a melee or unarmed character. I'm doing that now and it's pretty fun! I think it's a nice mix. The game really shines in terms of atmosphere and environments. It's definitely GOTY in my book.

Guild Wars I could never get into, the leveling section is too boring and I found the communication interface a bit daunting. I'm told once you hit max level at 20 the game is much more interesting.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Fallout 3 could be a shooter, and then it could not be a shooter. Personaly, I run around with the Shiskabob. I love that freakin weapon.

Anyways, back to game suggestions. I have a few here for you.

The Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls 4 - Oblivion
Gothic 1, 2, and 3 (they are buggy games, but if you can get past it, they are also really good)
Soul Reaver 1 and 2
Silent Hill 2 (it's a Survival Horror game. You use guns, but it's not FPS)
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3! (I only mentioned it because I just reinstalled it)
The Witcher ( I havn't played it, but from what I've seen, it looks good)
Titans Quest

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Well I tried Guild Wars free trial today and after about 5 minutes of playing, I wanted to slit my wrists. Too slow after years of shooting. Don't know if I can make the switch.

But thanks everyone for all of the suggestions, I'm sure I'll find something I like.

Prozac:)

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Slitting your wrists is a pretty good game, you should get into that again.
emot-dogout.gif

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
You know, people give WoW this stigma as if it's the only thing that this happens with. It has nothing to do with the game, and everything to do with the person who exhibits this kind of behavior. They'd find some other game or activity to get buried under just like that. The game has so many players now for various reasons, and it's one of the most well known games in the world so it's become this target for people to snipe at for various reasons. "WoW killed <insert game here>." "WoW ruins your life", etc....

True, with a caveat: the style of gameplay in MMOs (not just WoW, but the genre in general) tends to trigger the kind of obsessive behavior a little harder than other styles that aren't as focused and repetitive. Again, they'd eventually hit something else and stick on it, but for the kind of person that does lose their life to WoW, the style of game makes it easier for that to happen.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
@WoW, sure, some people can get hooked on any game. I'm sure there are some bejeweled addicts out there.
The point, and this is not personal experience but what I've gathered from several friends that played for years, is that WoW is only fun when you start playing it a lot.

There's no quick "jump into a match and have some fun" mode like other games have, unless hunting lvl 2-10 creatures is your idea of fun.
Considerable grinding/leveling is required to get anywhere in the game, as well as a network of guild members or people you can party with.
WoW being a stat-based game, your main objective will be to raise those stats. Seeing as it takes loads of time to even get near the level of some of the regular players, you're always going to be 'losing', even if it doesn't really have to be a contest.
Improving isn't a question of learning some tricks or changing a strategy, the way you would in an RTS or action game, it's a matter of grinding for a month.

If you can play it without the need to improve and enjoy the lower-tier gameplay of WoW, sure, go for it. Other than that, it won't be much fun.

OT:
Big freakin' yes for Morrowind. It's also an RPG, thus stats based, yet it's not an MMO. Because of this, combat and storyline are based on both stats and strategy/skill. Apart from a clunky melee system, this one is still at the top of my list for RPG's. I've played through it three times, each time with different classes and every time I've run into other difficulties and new quests that I didn't get the last time.

Thief 3, I think it was mentioned before, is great too. You should definitely have played this at least once, if only for some very memorable missions near the end of the game. Thief 2 is more solid, overall, but is quite dated and this might ruin the experience (because Thief games rely heavily on immersion and shadow effects)

As for RTS games, the old classic starcraft is great. Plus you'll be better prepared for when SCII comes around. It's hard to learn though, it'll take you a while before you can even take on the bots, let alone Koreans;) An easier, more recent, but still fun game is Red Alert 3. RA3 matches are a lot more about choosing a build, scouting and combat than (recreational level) Starcraft is. In other words, you don't have to micromanage every freaking little thing;) Furthermore, there's a difficulty setting for the bots which helps ..a lot. There's generally some strategies, especially for the Russians, that you can figure out within 2 hours of installing the game, that work fairly well against computer opponents, so you can get right into the game.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I don't have a guild and am generally just playing with a small group of 2 or 3 people, and I'm probably among some of the best geared players on the server. Want a fast match? Play some PvP.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
As for RTS games, the old classic starcraft is great. Plus you'll be better prepared for when SCII comes around. It's hard to learn though, it'll take you a while before you can even take on the bots, let alone Koreans;) An easier, more recent, but still fun game is Red Alert 3. RA3 matches are a lot more about choosing a build, scouting and combat than (recreational level) Starcraft is. In other words, you don't have to micromanage every freaking little thing;) Furthermore, there's a difficulty setting for the bots which helps ..a lot. There's generally some strategies, especially for the Russians, that you can figure out within 2 hours of installing the game, that work fairly well against computer opponents, so you can get right into the game.
Starcraft isn't "hard" unless you want to play it online. Even then it kind of just depends on who you are going to play it with.

If you're interested in RTS games but hate the moronic resource control aspect of Blizzard/Westwood games, I definitely recommend Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance. I have been playing the game quite a bit again lately, and it is as fun as ever.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I don't have a guild and am generally just playing with a small group of 2 or 3 people, and I'm probably among some of the best geared players on the server. Want a fast match? Play some PvP.

Well then the question becomes how much you play;)
Even in one of my favorite PC games of all time, Battlefield 2, I've only clocked a little over 200 hours. That's over the course of about 2-3 years.
Compare that to the average number of hours required for you to get anywhere in WoW;)

@Brizz, I didn't say Starcraft was hard per se, I said it was hard to learn.
Seeing as the bots cheat like mu'fuggas, whatever build you pick in the beginning, the bot will have the perfect counter ready for it without ever scouting your base. If you don't know some of the micro techniques, they'll build pretty darn fast, too. Considering you're going to be practicing against those bots, SC can be a very unforgiving game. You're probably going to fail a certain build a few times, even though the build might be perfectly valid.

(A recent example: I usually build pylon, gateway, gateway, pylon, forge and then a cannon at ramp/choke as protoss to roll out a fast rush against the other guy's gatherers while still having defense+detection in the form of the cannon. The usual bot reaction to this is to build lots of marines and firebats.
One match, I decided I'd go for cybercore+3rd gateway before the forge+cannon to go straight for dragoons. Without ever scouting my base, the bot sent 2 dark templar my way. That left me without defense against them, since I didn't have detection.
There was literally no way the bot could have known I didn't have any.)

Btw, what's moronic about resource control? Is item control in FPS duels moronic too?

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I think he just means micromanagement. SupCom FA has TONS of little things that, if used, help take you out of the micromanagement business and allow you to concentrate on strategy and combat.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
Darqraven, 1 of the more known things about starcrafts multiplayer´bot or AI is that she can see the entire level. ( the same for warcraft3 )

She can see your base, your buildings, and your troops.
If you expands, the ai knows where youre expanding.

Despite this could be a known cheating issue, its perfectly ballanced due to the fact the ai´s cannot have good strategys, and their attacks are perfectly previsible.
The attacks from an ai only consists on the mid game to produce some troops and launch them blindly to your base.

One common strategy could be to build some bunkers, wait for her to attactk, and then make counter attack at the moment she has run out of troops.

Rushing the ai also works. The ai always eats a good rush. You can win in 8 minutes in almost every 1 vs 1 map.

Also, you can use her ability to see the entire map as an advantage to you.
Just put defenses and she will be shy attacking, cause she can see you have lots of defensive buildings.

With time, a player can win on a 1 man vs 2 ai´s, 3 ai´s... when i stopped playing starcraft i was training to win 4 ai´s.

But focusing on fighting the ai is a bad idea. The best you can do is playing against people on internet.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Slayer I read you 5/5

To me WoW has already been an addiction, and nowadays I can not get back into it. Not for something that felt like a job I paid for. I'd rather pay 50 bucks once and jump when I want any time of the year without worrying about "Hey, should I play wow more? Because I pay for that game!"

I heard and know people who only used to club get really high/drunk and throw money at the window before they touched that game, now they end up only spending a few bucks monthly. They feel better for themselves, it's still up to them to figure out what happen next, if they end up having really 0 social life, lose their job, and ETC.

WoW has Ozzy Osbourne playing it!!!!!!!!!!
I think he just needed the money.

I don't think I'd call FO3 a shooter. Have you even played it?

I played and finished it. It's a "RPG Shooter". It falls under the shooter cathegory and can be played like a fps if you don't want VATS. Even if you use VATS a lot, you still can run into situations where you are out of AP, and you are forced to aim like a shooter.

If you still think FO3 isn't a RPG-shooter then I really don't know how you see it.

I like Burnout Paradise.
BTW I'm playing Burnout Paradise ATM. Good game, at least it's very good of a Burnout game, it has this Midnight club feel to it which I really enjoy. But I doubt to keep playing it once I completed the game.

Last edited: