FOV

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Are you running at 1920x1200? If so, that might explain why FOV 100 looks better for me. I'll not go up to 110 though. I don't have many custom maps installed yet, so once I get some of my fav maps like DM-Anubis and DM-Beholden, then I'll know which setting I like best. I was using DM-Liandri, but I couldn't really get a feel for it; I'll probably have to test 4-5 maps to be sure.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
So there's no way to get UT to run with the sides cut off on a widescreen LCD monitor to get it in 4:3 aspect at all? At least, I'm not going to change my windows settings from 1920x1200 just to run UT. I still haven't messed with the Nvidia control panel settings, but I'm not sure that would do it anyway. I just want it to run at 4:3 aspect at 1600x1200 without stretching to fit the screen. There has to be someone that knows if this can be done somewhere.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I'm pretty sure you can't change the screen's resolution, although not really sure why. It would be logical that if the resolution chosen is not the same (lower than) as the monitor's native resolution, it would still display everything correctly, just turn off parts that don't render anything. But that doesn't happen - instead, the view stretches for some odd reason.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
This is why along with some other reasons I didn't want to get a widescreen to begin with. I probably would have been perfectly fine with a 20" non-widescreen LCD, but I couldn't find the ones I saw last year. Anyway, I'll check the difference between FOV 90 and FOV 100 on the LCD and compare it to the CRT and see which one I like better.

EDIT: all right, I'll leave the FOV at 90 and play like that.:)

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I probably could do that, but I thought I was already in 1:1 pixel mapping mode. Anyway, I'll just keep it like it is for now and maybe try that later.

I have no idea about those other two commands; I just changed the desired one.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Ah, that's where that third one comes in. Um, I guess you probably change the desired FOV and the default changes because of the way its coded. That's the only thing I can think of. The FOVangle might be if you want to play for some strange reason looking at an angle from above (that's the only guess I can make on this one).

War_Master

May 27, 2005
those other 2 fovs are for weapons to zoom-in and zoom-out. They are coded in the player so that they only work server-side in order to prevent cheating but the default one follows whatever a player sets the fovangle client side.

the desiredfov is the one that is increased by code when a weapon zooms and then it zooms-out back to the defaultfov. They're actually variables for the zooming calculations among other things. I might be wrong but thats what I remember reading about them years ago.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
It's up to you to choose.The skill or aesthetics.

90 is the skill ;for camping and I would say 110 to get a better side view.