INFMOD Weapon Pack 1.5 Released! (May 2006)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stinkmarder

[JgKdo]
Feb 3, 2001
Germany
geogob said:
randomas. I was planining to look more deeply how the reticle is rendered to find why it isn't on Linux. What eludes me is that the red part of the ACOG reticle is rendered, but not the black part.
It looks like that one certain kind of black isnt rendered at all on Linux.
Not just on the HUD but even textures in the map or 1st person weapon models.

During 2.9 beta testing I reported the door textures in eas-inf-iraq as bugs - see attached image. But they looked fine for all others testers (not using Linux).
IIRC Erehwon Raekwon changed the textures after that.

Attachments

• iraqbug21.jpg
    iraqbug21.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I have like only 3 keys left, all used for communication. And even if these 3 are enough, they are spread over the keyboard to far away from beeing pushed fast enough.

So, key combinations is better.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Key combinations are fine as long as they are easy to operate. Geo, I don't suppose there's a way to make it 'hold down the attachment key, then press toggle aim'? I find it quite difficult trying to get both key and mouse button pressed at exactly the same time ;).

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
but correct me if I'm wrong, the scopes are rendered with a series of overlapping textures e.g. front lens, back lens and reticule that move independantly to give the impression of misallignment.

The scopes reticles are not textures, but Actors rendered with the Canvas.DrawActor function. On the ACOG mesh, the red and black part or part of the same mesh, thus rendered together in one actor. The Red and Black part now even use the same texture, which turns out to be the ACOG circle texture. The black part of the reticle is mapped onto the black part of the texture and the red part on a on red corner normally hidden from the view in the texture. So if you see only the red part it means that

- the actor is rendered by DrawActor()
- Part of the mesh is rendered (so the mesh is not set to invisible or anything)
- The black part isn't rendered.

We also know that

- it's not a problem with the texture because the IMT scopes use a different black texture. Then again, it could be the way the textures are imported (FLAGS=2 : 2-sided, masked). Maybe Linux rendered doesn't like that... but then again most texture in UT are imported with that Flag set at 2.
- It is not linked to the type of mesh. The INF Scopes use tradition Vertex Mesh (LodMesh). Most of the new IMT scope use skeletal Mesh. These go through a whole different export/import process.

As far as I know, the only scope reticles used in INF that are not meshes are the one for the OICW and AN/PVS-4 scope (M16A4).

Puzzles, we like. :lol:

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
What's the problem? My aim button is "right mouse", attachment is "G", no problems to hold them both at the same time.
How is it with your configuration Crowze?
And what key do you use for aim Goegob?

Use key is not a weapon key, so maybe it wont work, but what about using the use key? Push the use key when aiming, or hold it and push the ROF key could change the range.

randomas

May 24, 2001
Visit site
And there I was hopeing for a simple solution.:rolleyes:

That's some weird keyconfig! Am I the only dinosaur still living in wasd land?

P.s. I'm worse because activate attachment is middle mouse (mousewheel click).

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
It looks like that one certain kind of black isnt rendered at all on Linux.

Conclusion: Black does NOT get rendered on Linux (or is rendered as 100% translucent). The mesh that are not visible are all Black (R:0,G:0,B:0).

Solution: New renderer. Sorry Linux users :(

---

Yeah my key config is wicked. But I found it's every effective. If you use the arrow keys or keypad keys for moved, you'll find that overall, the number of keys that are available at close proximity is lower then if you use keys on the main keyboard.

Also, you'll notice that if you have a key to move forward, while you move you have to keep this key pressed at all time, basically reducing the use of the left hand to do only this. It reduced the freedom of movement a lot.

By having the move-forward on the right mouse button, it leaves the left hand to be free (e.g. not stuck pressing the move forward key) over 90% of the time instead of like 20% of the time with a "normal" key setup. The right hand has to stay on the mouse at all time, so holding down the right mouse button doesn't affect anything regarding hand mobility. So while moving, I can leave my right hand over the movement keys (strafe, movement speed, backwards, jump) and stance keys. These are all together in not more then 1 or 2 keys appart from each other. Around them, you'll find all the weapon mode keys, grab keys, etc. The further you go away from the movement keys (ZXCASDW), the less frequent key usage is. On the right side of the keyboard I mostly have speech bindings. the F-keys, from F4 to F11, are report direction bindings. The keypad is used only for Team Speak bindings and game-mode specific speech bindings. I learned to play without a numpad because I used a laptop for gaming for over 4 years.

This key setup takes some time to get used to, but you'll find that once you are used to it, you'll have controls that are much more flexible.

I use similar setups for all FPS... INF, AAO, UT, Quake 3, etc.

randomas

May 24, 2001
Visit site
Can't you use a slightly less black, black? like R:1,B:1,G:1 or if that aproximates to 0 and generates the same behaviour even 20,20,20 it's still pretty black. :p

Then Again I think I may be just about the only one still playing inf under linux, so I'll try and keep myself from asking for a linux patch with off-black reticules... Ooops I just have! ;)

The idea behind it is sound as I find using esdf makes more sense than wasd cause it leaves more free keys around your fingers. I just don't want to retrain my habits ... I may give it a try though

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
randomas said:
And there I was hopeing for a simple solution.:rolleyes:

That's some weird keyconfig! Am I the only dinosaur still living in wasd land?

P.s. I'm worse because activate attachment is middle mouse (mousewheel click).

Don't talk to me about dinosaurs, i still use the arrow keys for movement.

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
I Lov numpad config, all primary functions gets so near... first time Ive used this was playing Deus X (so many commmands) in my IMac (cyclops mouse, couldn´t ever think about using left or right button to anything else ;-P)

Joint Ops has zeroing (thou its not that realistic game) and its quite easy and neat to use... If its not that hard to implement code wise, I say: why not try?
As real as it gets, remember... ;-D

The OICW eletronic zeroing feat is "a hand in the wheel" (as we say here), and it could be suppaduppa if all scoped had such feat...

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
WASD for life!

Asking people for their key config actually can help to define key combos.

My keys are:

Movement
WASD: Forward, Left, Backward, Right
QE: Lean left/right
X: Jump
Z (german Y): Ingame Menu
Space: Movement toggle
Left Shift: Crouch
Left Control: Sprint
Alt: Prone

Interaction
F: Use

Combat
Left Mouse: Fire
Right Mouse: Aim
Middle Mouse: Change ROF
G: Attachment
R: Reload
T: Throw weapon
Y (german Z): Throw ammo

Weapons & Equipment
O: Nigh vision goggles
Left Bracket (ß): Binoculars
Right Bracket (´): Switchweapon 1 (knife/grenades/binoculars/other stuff toggle)
Key 0: SwitchWeapon 10
--
Key 1: Knife only
Key 2: Grenade Classes
Wheel Up: Priority Weapon (primary selection)
Wheel Down: Sidegun (pistol)
--
Key 3: SwitchWeapon 3 (shotguns)
Key 4: SwitchWeapon 4 (smg's)
Key 5: SwitchWeapon 5 (rifles)
Key 6: SwitchWeapon 6 (sniper rifles)
Key 7: SwitchWeapon 7 (don't remember)
Key 8: SwitchWeapon 8 (don't remember)
Key 9: SwitchWeapon 9 (don't remember)

Communication
C: Roger that.
V: Clear.
B: Fall back.
N: Need backup.
M: Cease Fire! Cease Fire!
Comma (,): Hold Fire.
Period (.): Area secured.
Minus (-): Negative.
-
H: Contact.
J: Tango down.
K: Man down!
-
Equals (+): Up.
SingleQuote (Ä): Down.
Semicolon (Ü): Left.
Slash (#): Right.
---
Insert (Einfg): Cover me.
Delete (Entf): I cover you.
Home (Pos1): I'm going in. :D
End (Ende): Get out, get out!
PageUp (Bild hoch): Wait.
PageDown (Bild runter) Ok.
---
Up: Go!
Down: Hold up.
Left: Defend the position.
Right: Take em down!
---
NumPad1: SOUTH-WEST
NumPad2: SOUTH
NumPad3: SOUTH-EAST
NumPad4: WEST
NumPad5: Regroup.
NumPad6: EAST
NumPad7: NORTH-WEST
NumPad8: NORTH
NumPad9: NORTH-EAST
GreyMinus (-): Report in.
GreySlash (/): In position.
GreyStar (*): Ready?
NumPad0 (Einfg): Covering...
NumPadPeriod (,): Moving...
---
Coop related;
F7: InventoryPrevious
F8: InventoryNext
---
Yet free keys;
U
I
P
Tilde: (Ö)

That's it ;)

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Finally the M16A4 got black, but byside the color I always had another problem with the M16A4, the rail hand guard.
In INF it is simply to huge in comparison to the real thing. The M4A1 has the heatshields attached, the M16A4's rail hand guard has the same size without the heatshields, which is wrong.

Hope (really hope) the modeller will update the M16A4 by making the rail front grip smaller (thinner) and adding the heatshields on the right and left side, EXACTLY how the 3rd person model allready has it.

See the attached picture, it is the M16A4 from Insurgency, with the same heatshields attached on the rail on the right and left side (just how the 3rd person model in INF) and the rail front grip is thinner, how it should be.

BTW, can you make the M16A4 even more darker :D.

----

@trijicon reflex sight:
Wouldn't it be better to have the red dot beeing displayed over the front sight, not exactly aligned, because I think an attached trijicon doesn't have the same height like the frontsight pin, when the dot is in the exact center of the lens.
You can however lower the head more to align the dot and front pin, to have a better aiming on distances, but the dot wouldn't be centered.

I also would like to use the dot only, without to have the frontsight blocking the lower view all the time. I like using the HK416 red dot even more, because the dot is open.

Best would be like in the second attached picture, where the normally aimed trijicon sight is centered with the lens, but the frontsight is lower. Holding the aim key the dot and pin get aligned for more comfortable distant shooting.

Also, the dot is pure Orange now, which is good, but make it better Orange-Red.

----

@M4A1 recoil:
I'm not an expert on this case, but seriously, I think the recoil is to exeggerated exeggerately. I mean it kicks like a horse. The 3rnd burst on the M16A4 is so comfortable, but fireing off 3 rounds with the M4A1 you almost end up looking at the sky.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    792.1 KB · Views: 39
  • trijicon.jpg
    trijicon.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

randomas

May 24, 2001
Visit site
geogob said:
randomas: today I will have a new beta ready of the VSSV. I will try to change the texture for the reticle so that it's not black. I will contact you for you to try it. If it works, I'll use the same textures for the M14DMR and the M82 reticles.

Not sure yet if I can use it for the M4 Acog.

You're my hero! :D :D :D

Oh before I forget the binoculars suffer the same problem (not that I mind the extra visibility)!

Last edited:

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
BTW, can you make the M16A4 even more darker

Gamma whore.

I also would like to use the dot only, without to have the frontsight blocking the lower view all the time.

That's something that can be investigated for the next WP. It depends of the models allow it.

Also, the dot is pure Orange now, which is good, but make it better Orange-Red.

The dot is "Amber". At normal gamma (i.e. not gamma whoring ;) ), it is the exact same Amber as the one used by Trijicon on their relfex sights (at least from the information I get from their website).

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
My gamma setting is on 7/11, I hate washed out g(r)eyness, as you know allready, but 6/11 makes a clear day on a day map look like a near dawn, or during a heavy storm.
So, I'm the least one gamma whoring.

No, the skin is finally good, but to be honest I would prefer it like the Insurgency picture ;).