UT3 WAR-Venice

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scud_UT

Oct 17, 2008
WAR-Venice

Version:
Final 1.0

Compatibility:
UT3 2.1

Description:
Large seized Warfare map, based on a slightly modified replica of the St. Mark's Square and the surrounding area in Venice, Italy.

Custom Content:
Custom Textures = Yes
Custom Models = Yes

Credits:
Epic and me !

Download: recommended only for 8GB memory and more !
Rapidshare Fileplanet

Videos (youtubeHD): Walkthrough Gameplay Red Team Gameplay Blue Team

Screenshots:

Last edited:

HedgeMaster

May 3, 2009
Deatiled enviroment, but it looks poor and empty anyway. Also, demand of 8GB sounds ridiculous, how can you justify it?

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Wut? Doesn't look detailed enough to justify 8GB of ram, and it looks bland anyway. The lighting is pretty poor and boring, and there are lots of repetitive tiling textures. Large wide-open spaces are bad and it doesn't look like there are many interesting gameplay elements in there, it's all flat.

Good effort, but I don't see why it was made for UT3. Would be better off as a render with a nice lighting setup.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I think some people don't understand exactly what was achieved here...
Who cares if the lighting sucks? Gameplay is of course not great, it's Venice, not some combat arena with fifty seven thousand walkways for Z-Axis. Tiling textures is normal: have you been to Venice?

Here's what it looks like:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/3822/lecampaniledelaplacesai.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Compare to what he did.

It's an incredible achievement to have reproduced the Piazza San Marco with such detail. Go ahead and dismiss the whole thing with your last line would you?

Sorry if I'm reading your post the wrong way, but I think you could've said things with a little more positive tone. I agree that the lighting could be improved, but just listing negative points like that makes it look like the fact that he just made Venice in UT3 doesn't matter.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
OMG 8 gb? request better like this is better not to download for me this map, its insane....Anyway pretty map..dunno pity of map.

PD: I have 8 gb ram and I must say its run not too much smooth -+20-25 frames. that map have issue in perfomance.

Pd2: Keep mapping and see out a lot tutorials here in internet about ue3 mainly the perfomance area....You need to improve that issue dude....8gb is mad.

PD3: Overall the map is like The pic 1 or 4 if you see that sun raising from sea doesnt fit well with the lightsettings that map map have an midday setting light, those internal walkways in those buildings doesnt appear any kind of shadows and the crystal windows doenst seems realistic there is not any deep sense and shine.

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Who cares if the lighting sucks? Gameplay is of course not great, it's Venice, not some combat arena with fifty seven thousand walkways for Z-Axis.
Definitely deserves some recognition... just like Angelheart's maps whose gameplay was crap but they were among the prettiest and most downloaded maps back in the 2k4 era...
I don't understand why it is so performace-heavy, though... Real buildings are largely based on repetition of windows/arches/whatever so shouldn't it be just a few staticmeshes repeated lots of times just like any other UT3 map? :con:

Anyway, I'll be installing it in my newer laptop... been talked about Venice dozens of times at school so it's indeed a valuable document for me (as long as the framerate is ok... :p). Sure I won't be playing any WAR match here and no one should be downloading it expecting an awesome UT3 experience... but it must be interesting to have a walk especially if you've never been to Pz San Marco... I'd love to see how this looks as render images though... UE3's lighting doesn't let this show all its potential IMO... ;)

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Can't download without becoming a 'premium member'. A mirror would be nice.

Edit: @ Slain - you can't walk and look around a render. There's a whole (Unreal) industry based around this kind of recreation / visualisation.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Edit: @ Slain - you can't walk and look around a render. There's a whole (Unreal) industry based around this kind of recreation / visualisation.
His point is that there is no need to release this as a WAR map instead of just a tech demo/realism map. WAR maps are supposed to have some degree of good gameplay; this is just a real environment with warfare stuff shoe-horned into it, which does not make for very good gameplay.

It's an impressive map in its own right, no doubt, but not an impressive WAR map.

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
Definitely deserves some recognition... just like Angelheart's maps whose gameplay was crap but they were among the prettiest and most downloaded maps back in the 2k4 era...

I haven't downloaded it but I think it looks amazing based on the screenshots. And it definitely reminded me of Angelh@rt's work too, as well as Shokazulu's DM-Serinissima, which was also based on Venice. Still, even though I want to check it out, the 171 mb size and 8gb ram recommendation is very off-putting for someone like me who hardly ever fires up UT3.

Edit: Downloaded and played for a bit. The texturing in the main plaza area definitely looked repetitive and a bit on the ugly side. The buildings on the other hand looked great and detailed in terms of architecture, but textures were again a let down, the main problem here being the murals, which looked very tacked on.

This map definitely brought my 3gb ram system to its knees, and is the first map that has given me real performance issues. Framerates were around 5 fps at their worst. In terms of gameplay, the canal from the blue core to the middle node was a real chore to traverse, a series of jumpads on boats would have been nice here, or even a real watercraft to use. Would mantas work here? I haven't played enough warfare to know.

Last edited:

HedgeMaster

May 3, 2009
Duh, I'm pretty sure this one could be optimized for some normal gear, especially when we look at actual requirements of original UT3.
The same is true for gameplay, just add a bunch of teleports or jump pads and you can customize structure of the map freely.

Last edited: