Which race constructed the Dark Arena?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
I assumed the Nalis had a much more violent past, and built things like the Dark Arena (along with all the deadly, trap-filled catacombs) during those times.

~Psycho~

Nov 10, 1999
The Nali appeared too peaceful to me, to be building torture chambers and gladiator arenas. I thought the Skaarj might have 'refitted' Nali structures for such purposes. But then I notice the plaque in the entrance ("The weak shall be struck down by the hand of the beast.") is Nali.
I can understand all the traps built into their temples, because they want to protect their gods at all costs, but torture? It's very confusing.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
They were built by Nali, but reused by the Skaarj indeed and for the modifications they of course made the Nali slaves work on it.
Millenias ago the Nali race was not so peaceful and engaged in wars, that's where the Cryptic levels also come from (in the beta), but Skaarj again reused them for their needs.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Is there actually any evidence - in any of the games - to suggest that the Nali were once violent?

I guess it's not unlikely that the Nali wrer fighting prior to the arrival of the Skaarj - then their population was thinned and they united against a common foe.

Yeah they united against Skaarj, but that suggests violence on itself, they have built the traps against skaarj at first.
I have read that part even at the old official website, you can still find it at archive.org I believe, these descriptions.

~Psycho~

Nov 10, 1999
Well, they're united in the belief that the messiah will come and do all the dirty work for them. They don't seem to know the first thing about war, nor do they display any inclination to partake in it.

I don't blame them really, considering how physically and technically superior the Skaarj are. :)

There's very little suggestion in the game itself to the Nali past. Anything that appeared in the beta or in unused texture packages simply implies something from an earlier part of development that doesn't reflect the final product. What actually appears in the game is very vague on this detail. Really, what I've noticed over the years is that speculation within the SP community has explored this concept, and several custom packs and mods have already included these ideas in their stories as well.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
VORTEX RIKERS
The floating prison craft you called home until moments ago. Dirty, creepy and cramped, it is far less welcoming when half buried in the ground and torn up.

MINES
The mining of tarydium is split up into several processes. It is first dug out of the ground with heavy-duty machinery that is transported and implanted on site. Caution must be taken when dealing with potential lava flows and eruptions while mining. The ore is then transported to a processing plant, melted down, filtered and cooled. The byproducts of this process are redirected to a waste disposal plant that treats the waste and attempts to find practical uses for it.

CRYPTS
During the previous encounter with the Skaarj, the Nali built labyrinthine underground structures to dispose of Skaarj bodies and technology. However, upon the Skaarj's second arrival, they quickly uncovered these tombs and converted them into outposts and breeding grounds.

NALI RUINS
The Nali ancestors erected beautiful and imposing temples, theatres, and treasure troves mostly in the humid regions of the planet. The Skaarj and other marauding aliens have invaded these ruins to uncover ancient Nali secrets and artifacts for their own nefarious ways.

SKYCITY
Once the planet began teaming with savage aliens, the Nali combined their collective telekinetic powers and raised enormous chunks of stone into the sky upon which they built their religious Mecca. Adorned with the finest gold, silver, and jewels, no expense was spared in creating a safe haven from the mayhem that was erupting below.

STARSHIPS
Many mysterious and ancient crashed spacecraft litter this infamous planet's surface. There is a good chance that meandering aliens have made these ghost-craft their homes. So beware.

NALI CASTLES
The Nali used to dwell in these formerly beautiful castles. They have since been taken over by Skaarj warriors and converted into fortresses. The Nali High Priests have been taken hostage in their monastery. Rumor has it, the Nali Royal Castle has been taken over by the Skaarj Warlord himself.

MERCENARY CRAFT
The Skaarj are not the only beings in the race for almighty tarydium. A breed of biomechanical mercenaries have also landed on this planet.

SKAARJ MOTHERSHIP
Your only hope of making it off this mudball lies in this mysterious and immense alien monstrosity. Prepare to run the gauntlet.

http://web.archive.org/web/19980127121744/www.unreal.com/environment.html

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Why would it want to do that? Titans smash and throw rocks at Nali, or smash and throw rocks at their castles. I'm pretty sure Nali would like the second option more.

~Psycho~

Nov 10, 1999
Why did the Nali keep a giant Gasbag in their castle? Did they think they could use it as a weapon?

No, I think the Nalis put it there specifically to test the Messiah. Well that's the impression I got from the messages that direct you to it.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
...the Nali combined their collective telekinetic powers and raised enormous chunks of stone into the sky...

How did I not realize this before!? I was always wondering why there's Lava surrounding the SunSpire!! The Sunspire was left over from the creation of the skycities, and so much of the crust was removed that the Nali eventually hit magma! How could I not have seen this?

That aside, there IS evidence that Nali were once a violent, warring race. For one, they have a war God, Velora. What other violent species had a war god in the past? Humans! Anyway, it shouldn't be a surprise that the temple of Velora is full of brutal traps, seeing as how it's named after a God of war.

What else do Nali have in common with us? Well, they probably have a tendency to be war-like, like we do. I'm getting the feeling that the Nali are like the Ancient Romans. There were farmers, blacksmiths, etc. along with Warriors, so it's likely the Nali aren't or ever were 100% war-like like the Skaarj, but simply have war-like tendencies, not to mention the Romans also had Colosseums and arenas much like the Nali do in the form of Dark Arena and the Temples of Vandora and Velora.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
In Unreal PSX story there is another Nali race, which is living on the moon and which separated from the religious Nali millenia ago, they have capability to build ships as well and are not peaceful at all.