UE3 - UT3 UT3 Mod Modeling Competition Coming Soon

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

amcculley

Jan 20, 2008
Hey all,

We just received our funding for the semester from the University and it wasn't as much as I would have liked.

So, in order to hopefully get more for our money, I'm thinking of hosting a contest for the general public and would like to get some feedback from many of you.

We have about $1100 to spend, but we need 9 classes which are modeled, textured, lighted, and rigged (the default UT3 skeletans are fine). I know this isn't alot of $$$ for that much work (I wanted more like $1000 per model, but they said pfft... yeah, right).

Sooo.... with that said, here are some plans:

1) Get 2 models into the game for now and wait for the next funding and add 2-3 more. We would provide $500 for each winning model.

2) Hold an open competition for all 9 classes and do it in phases. We would do 2-3 classes per phase. The winning entry for each class would win $100. Prob my least favorite option.

3) Hold a competition where we look at entries for 3 classes and the top prize gets $500, 2nd gets $250, and 3rd gets $150.

Now, before people start reminding me of how much work goes into modeling for UT3 and blah blah blah... keep this in mind:

I know. If you are someone who is already working professionally or doing contract work, then this may not be the right gig for you (or it may be a quick way to win some money... depending on how you look at it). However, if you are trying to add some stuff to a portfolio, looking to crack into the industry, and/or just find yourself doing great work for free already, why not funnel the motivation a bit and do something that you can always use later and just might win money for?

Let me know if you have any other suggestions for dispersing this $1100 to the modeling community in exchange for some good work or let me know which of the options above sound most interesting.

We'll be announcing this contest in the coming couple of weeks when we launch our website and release the first public showing of our docs, concept art, and in-game footage.

President & Founder SAVGARD UMD, College Park
Student Association for Video Game Awareness, Research, and Development

Project Manger, Lead Design, and Programmer
Rift: The Reclamation Prophecy
An Unreal Tournament 3 Sci-Fi PvP Total Conversion