Samuri Jack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Buddy_Pickle: I haven't been able to catch an episode of Samurai Jack yet, but I've got this coming Monday off from work, so I'll try to watch it then. From the comercials that I've seen, it looks pretty good.

phatcat: I loved the NIMH series. I read both The Secret of NIMH and Racso and the Rats of NIMH back when I was in elementary school.

poaw: I wouldn't say that Heinlein "invented" the giant robot genre. Heinlein's powered armor was more along the lines of an exosuit, an extention of the trooper inside designed to increase strength, firepower, carrying capacity, etc (not unlike the modern "Land Warrior"), where as "mecha" are more along the lines of a walking tank. In any case, Starship Troopers was published in 1960, while the earliest example of mecha/giant robots in anime appeared, I believe, in the Japanese animated series, Gigantor (known as Tetsujin 28 in Japan), which first aired in 1963. That's a pretty narrow gap.

-Keiichi

vedder

See This Needle? See my arm...
Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
I hear Justice league of america is coming to cartoon network. Its by the same guys who made batman ,superman , and batman beyond animated cartoons; Paul dini and Bruce timm.

Keiichi

Heinlein's powered armor was more along the lines of an exosuit, an extention of the trooper inside designed to increase strength, firepower, carrying capacity, etc (not unlike the modern "Land Warrior"), where as "mecha" are more along the lines of a walking tank...

Umm, no offense, but isn't that the same thing?

EDIT: Yes, I know (from a combative standpoint) any average, suitably equipped exosuit would knock the average mecha flat on it's ass. Something 3-10 stories tall isn't hard to spot or disable.

In any case, Starship Troopers was published in 1960, while the earliest example of mecha/giant robots in anime appeared, I believe, in the Japanese animated series, Gigantor (known as Tetsujin 28 in Japan), which first aired in 1963. That's a pretty narrow gap...

1959 actually. And no, 4 years isn't a narrow gap when it comes to books and shows, just look at reality TV, within one viewing season every station had their own lame-ass attempt at reality TV once Survivor blew up big. Or all the fantasy books that came out after theMiddle Earth series.

Starship Troopers went big in Japan. Most likely bigger than in the US. It would make financial sense to try and cash in on it while it was big.