UE3 - UDK Making a FPS/RTS/simulator hybrid game with Unreal dev kit

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr Zero

Sep 25, 2010
What I'm talking about is an old, unknown game called Urban Assault, released in 1998. It's a kind of hybrid between RTS and FPS/tank/aircraft simulator, hard to explain but watch the vids of this guy if you got interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1O-a56_nS8

So basically there's a host station/mothership which you can transport around the battle field, from there using energy from power plants you create vehicles (tanks helis etc.) which you can send to targets using the map, or you can jump into one at a time and drive it yourself. Destroy enemy factions' motherships to win the game.

I found out that many people want to make a remake or something of it but so far no one has done anything notable, just lots of forum threads about how great it'd be.

Some people have mentioned UDK in those discussions.. I have aboslutely no coding/mapping/modeling skills but it sounded so interesting that I went here to get some knowledge..

Unreal engine supports vehicles but usually they're piloted by a humanoid. In Urban Assault there are no pilots (or at least they never appear in the game :p). Is this possible (yes I suppose, but how hard?) to do with UDK?

In Urban assault the buildings on the battlefield are destructible which isn't very common in games. But I guess this is a piece of cake for UE, right?

Then there's the map and the squad manager which don't exist in UT games but I guess they can be implemented with UDK?

How hard (assuming that there are at least one or more skilled coders around) would it be to make such a game overall?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but I thought this should be the best place to ask stupid questions like these. =d