Official Photography Thread - 56k Beware

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
a few pics i got from my last few months in the army... i kinda like them.

Attachments

• DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF0030.JPG
    DSCF0030.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF0042.JPG
    DSCF0042.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 86

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
Cool pics fist

here are some more of mine

Attachments

• DSCN1514.JPG
    DSCN1514.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN1517.JPG
    DSCN1517.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN1523.JPG
    DSCN1523.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
GNAT: would you mind telling me what camera that is? As you may know, I am (still) in the market for a digital camera. If I could find a 2.0 MP one that was able to take pictures like those you posted, I would be extremely happy.

How can I know if a camera I may be considering, "happens to have macro capabilities unlike many?" I am newer than new to photography of any sort, so I humbly ask that you forgive my ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
If I am not mistaken its a Nikon E2500. I am sure he will correct if I am wrong.

Edit: I think they call it the Coolpix 2500.

Last edited:

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
Well I'm very much a beginner, so anyone can correct me if I'm wrong with any of this information.

Yes, its a coolpix 2500 Nikon. You may find it hard to locate one of these though. They've almost pulled them out of the market and substituted them with the Coolpix 2100. The features between the two cameras are almost the identical. The only thing I don't like about the 2100 is the menu system. The 2500 carries the same menu system as the 4100 if I'm not mistaken. Its like an overlay to your viewfinder. You can still see things in the background. When you enter the menu on a 2100 it takes up the full viewfinder. Kinda like the dummy version if I had to sum it up in two words. Mind you, all the same features are there and its a great, I just don't like the menus. The Nikon comes with some 'scene' settings that include close-up(macro). It also has settings for sunsets, fireworks, museum and all that jaz. You can use them, or you can set everything manually, which I find myself doing more and more.

I'm no camera professional, but if your looking for a camera I would keep a few things in mind. Look for optical zoom over digital zoom. The coolpix has a 3x optical and a 4x digital, which makes for a pretty good zoom. I never use my digital zoom for fear of picture degradation. Some cameras only have digital zoom and I would stay away from them. Also make sure you look for the word macro in the camera descriptions. If you don't like Nikon the Fuji Finepix 2650 has macro capabilities as well. I've looked over a few kodaks and was unable to find one in the 2mp range that had this. The Sony 2mp also looks unimpressive, and it uses sony's own proprietary memory sticks. Don't forget batteries. Don't buy a camera that doesn't come with a rechargeable lithium ion battery and charger. I know some of the cheaper cameras don't come with them, then you have to go buy rechargeables and all that jaz.. its not worth it.

My advice would be research. Find a few that have everything you want, read reviews.. multiple reviews, then go to the store and play with them. Make sure you like the menu, and the hands on feel of the camera in question. It looks to me like the Canon Powershot 2.0, Fuji 2650, and Nikon 2100/2500 all have macro capabilities.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Good post GNAT. You covered all the important stuff. Make a list of what kind of shooting you wish to do, and how you wish to display the final image. Based on that do a some research.

The camera I shoot with may very well be useless for what you wish to shoot.

I not only read reviews when doing that kind of research I check the forums, like here, and google, to see what people are saying. I am always carefull when I do that because their is a bias with certain people.

My old Olympus D-380 was what I started off with, pretty good camera. Nice battery life, macros mode with a simple switch, a few handy features (Shooting modes for direct sunlight, clouds, etc.), but it only has digital zoom, which... sucks terribly.

What kind of shooting do you plan on doing?

DP Review and The Digital Darkroom are some pretty good sources of information... not to meantion that Digi Darkroom has entire forums dedicated to a handful of cameras. :) (Including mine \o/)

Dr_Strangelove

http://www.jeremycox.com
Apr 1, 2000
US
www.jeremycox.com
lol, I would say 90% of the images posted so far are macros. Not that I have any problem with them, but I like variety!

Here are some of mine (sorry they are kinda small, they are scaled for my website, and I am too lazy to redo them :p). Visit www.jeremycox.com for more.

Attachments

• photography_splash.jpg
    photography_splash.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 1_sm.jpg
    1_sm.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 39
  • 3_sm.jpg
    3_sm.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 4_sm.jpg
    4_sm.jpg